Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1993 GMC Typhoon
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not exactly new, I've been a member since 2007 when I joined to see if doing a joint SyTy / TBSS Nationals would be possible but I don't think that ever got off the ground. Nevertheless, I never made a formal introduction as I did not have a TBSS at that point, but as of Noon today, I do! Its an AWD 3SS w/ Navigation and Moonroof. Not really sure what else was optional on top of the 3SS package.

It's a bit of a basket case that I happen to stumble upon searching around Craigslist. Based on what the owner told me over the phone, I figured it was another victim of the oil sump problem and spun a bearing or two, so it was at least worth a look so drove up this morning to check it out.

It had been sitting for approximately a year and a half, desperately needed a wash and interior cleaning, but it was all there, no major body damage except for a small dent on the passenger fender, tires have great tread (unfortunately they are Nexens), no curb rash on the wheels but clear coat is starting to fail around the center caps on a couple of them.

Since I couldn't really get under it I had no way of attempting to turn the engine over by hand, the battery was stone dead, I did bring my jump pack but the starter didn't even attempt to engage. I was able to check the mileage, tried to scan for engine codes but nothing was present. Readiness codes were not complete so either someone cleared them out or the computer eventually did lose its memory for sitting dead for so long.

Long story short, I bought it, towed it home, then took it to work for a wash and to get it on the lift and see what was going on with the engine. Right after I got it off the trailer I knew it was going to be bad news. There was a puddles of oil on the trailer as well as the ground where it was parked. Once on the lift, I could see a chunk of aluminum that didn't quite look right next to the starter. I'm assuming it sent a rod through the block, further confirmation came when I drained the oil and got at least a gallon of coolant out first.

Soooooooooooo, I'm not sure what I'll be shopping for until I get this engine out, but I know Ill need a block at some point, just need to see if Im going new, used and whats salvageable from this engine.

·
NOT SLOW, NOT FAST
TrailblazerSS
1,982 Posts
Congrats and welcome back. Sounds like a perfect excuse to build something completely ridiculous. I look forward to seeing some ridiculousness from this "basket case" :popcorn3:

·
Registered
1993 GMC Typhoon
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats and welcome back. Sounds like a perfect excuse to build something completely ridiculous. I look forward to seeing some ridiculousness from this "basket case" :popcorn3:
thank you!

I'm not sure about all the ridiculousness, thats kinda what I have my Typhoon(s) for, right now I just want to get this thing up and running, cleaned up and back on the road.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Welcome! I remember you from s10forum.com

I would just put forged 365 in it. Gives you room in the future if you do want to get ridiculous.

·
Registered
1993 GMC Typhoon
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome! I remember you from s10forum.com

I would just put forged 365 in it. Gives you room in the future if you do want to get ridiculous.
yeah I haven't been on there since John and Boom sold it to whoever owns it now. Kinda went down hill after that (or so I heard).

I'm looking at all options but I won't be able to pull the trigger on anything until I see what's up with the current engine.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,481 Posts
I think it would be awesome to get together with the sy\ty group! I've always wanted one myself

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
377 Posts
Yea i thought you sounded familiar as well. Came from S10forum as well. Welcome and good luck with the new project

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
101 Posts
Time for a forged 408 iron block and a bunch of spray...

·
Registered
1993 GMC Typhoon
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it would be awesome to get together with the sy\ty group! I've always wanted one myself
I think it came down to our calendars being off, looks like the TBSS Nats is in May, where as SyTy tends to be more of the June/July months when school is out and families can attend.

Yea i thought you sounded familiar as well. Came from S10forum as well. Welcome and good luck with the new project
Yeah I have this screen name on most forums, I didn't even remember I was on here until I searched and found posts I made previously, then I had to remember my password, got it on the second try, heh.

Thanks, I'm hoping things go smoothly with it, I've been making a checklist of things I want to and need to do, like brakes, all fluids, etc.

Time for a forged 408 iron block and a bunch of spray...
I love everyones go big or go home approach on here :D but seriously, that's what I have my Typhoons for. My first Typhoon that Ive had for 15 years is getting a 376LSX block with twin GT35R's backed by a 4L80E and a modified BW4472 T-Case. Shooting for 1000-ish HP on that one.

My other one is a 1 of 24 Garnet Grey Ty's that only has 65K on it and will appear 99% stock, but will have a little more power over stock, just enough to make it enjoyable.

This truck I mainly convinced myself to buy because my first born will be here tomorrow and I wanted an SUV, or told myself I needed an SUV because baby seats don't fit well in the back of my TDI Jetta and it would be a hassle in my 2500HD. My wife has her car that will be just fine, but like I said I wanted something too :D

At most I'm thinking is a cam and a tune, melling oil pump and any other reliability upgrades for now.

by the way, I started digging around under the hood today and noticed it had an engine block heater, how many trucks have that and why? seemed odd to me, they don't even offer them on most diesels these days.

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
You can buy a forged stroker motor short block for $2500 and do a DIY i stall with a buddy re-using your top end. Cheapest GOOD fix.

·
Registered
1993 GMC Typhoon
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can buy a forged stroker motor short block for $2500 and do a DIY i stall with a buddy re-using your top end. Cheapest GOOD fix.
I'll look into that, unless you can point me in the direction to find one. I don't want to ask because many people in these communities automatically jump to "search", which I can do, just a little busy at the moment...

I was contemplating going with an iron block but wasn't sure if the weight trade off was worth it if Im not going to go after any crazy power.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
377 Posts
link????

·
Registered
1993 GMC Typhoon
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've only been able to find Iron 6.0 short blocks for that price. Anything aluminum is at least $1k more starting price.

I have a lead on an L76 short block, so I might pick that up, see what pistons I can use out of my original block and just re-ring and toss in some new bearings and give it a whirl.

·
Registered
1993 GMC Typhoon
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
5.3 turbo :biggrin2:
I already have 3 turbo vehicles, I just want this one to run, heh. Titled and registered it today, started pulling some stuff out of the engine compartment last Wednesday, fan, fan shroud, air cleaner, hoses, belts, battery, starter and a few other things.

I'd really like to get the bottom end inspected before I go and buy anything, but I'm not sure if that will happen or not. I mainly just want to see if I need a crank or not, if not I'll open my search up to older LS2's.

Reactions: Spivitz

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
377 Posts
Hang on now cap. I'm looking for a forged 402 for 2500. Walter. We'll wait!? Lol. Check book is ready

·
Registered
1993 GMC Typhoon
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ripped into this sucker a little more today. I'm hoping to throw a few more hours at it on Thursday and Friday and hopefully get it out and see if there is anything good in the bottom end. This thing is definitely going to need a good cleaning, probably some media blasting and powder coating as well.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,533 Posts
Congrats and welcome back! I also remember you from s10forum, s-seriesforum and S Nat's. I loved your typhoon from back in the day. Glad to hear you still have it and its still getting modded.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts