Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSS
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I was changing my tranny fuild and noticed how f-in close the exhaust is th the transmission. To fix the heat radiating to the trans I used Header Wrap as the pics show. I also wraped the other cat as well but forgot to take a pic. I belive this will drastically lower trans temps. Had I seen this ealier, that would have been my first add-on to the ss. Just thought id share since I havent seen or heard of anyone doing this. Hope this helps!

Nate

Attachments

·
Premium Member
04 NBSCC Silverado
1,334 Posts
Definitely couldn't hurt. Keep us posted on temps

·
Premium Member
TBSS 3SS
1,991 Posts
Good idea. But wondering if you had monitored your trans temp before and now after?

How many rolls did you use?

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSS
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good idea. But wondering if you had monitored your trans temp before and now after?

How many rolls did you use?
I used one roll and had a little left over. Did not monitor temps but imo its a no brainer....exhaust pipe 2 inches from the pan=lots of heat!

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSS
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great idea our fucky y pipes are misplaced because of the lack of room this is a good solution!
Yep! I had a deep pan for it and it didnt fit due to the crossover pipe! O well...eventually I will put the deep pan on it when I fab a cross pipe for it

·
Registered
2008 Saab 97x Aero
906 Posts
Nice, more fluid gives the fuild time to c(ol down while not in function same with gettin bigger radiator which we all really need!! If I dont get my kooks y coated im wrapping it...

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
905 Posts
do you live in a humid climate? if so not a good idea, they will rust out

·
Registered
2008 Saab 97x Aero
906 Posts
Depebds whatcha think is humid lol not dry like yuma!! Hell id give anything to be back there... And def not humid like florida... It would only be a summer thing... The dfw area in on recorded settin summer zero raon in months.. More dry heat like yuma...

U in the marines?? Or BP?

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSS
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
08 9-7x Aero
1,160 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me.

I used some DEI heat shielding on my pipes around the rear differential on my V. The heat would make it whine a lot and now it stays cooler and doesn't make nearly as much noise.

I should use what I have left over on the Aero.

·
moar cowbell
Trailblazer
6,426 Posts
I wrapped mine for the turbo. Didn't see any change in trans temps.

Running the fluid through the radiator heats it up more than anything imo.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
5,208 Posts
Novel idea, but the way I look at it is this:

Yes, the pipe is near the trans, but the only way that pipe is going to heat up that pan is if you are idling for long periods of time. When the truck is in motion, air is moving over the exhaust and that pan and cooling them. All the heat is moving out the back of the truck. You may see somewhat of a difference, but it will be nothing notable IMO.

Eric, did you see any difference in spool times with the wrap?

As for this whole "humid climate+wrap=rotten pipes", Its possible, but I doubt he will see any issues. Our race car has wrapped headers, up pipe, down pipe, intercooler tanks, etc, and that car has been swamped out numerous times, and is raced on the ice/snow, and all the pipe under the wrap looks new. As long as the truck doesnt live in a pond, he will be fine.

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
905 Posts
Depebds whatcha think is humid lol not dry like yuma!! Hell id give anything to be back there... And def not humid like florida... It would only be a summer thing... The dfw area in on recorded settin summer zero raon in months.. More dry heat like yuma...

U in the marines?? Or BP?
I am leatherneck out here in "paradise" but headed back east in Feb

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
Nice, more fluid gives the fuild time to c(ol down while not in function same with gettin bigger radiator which we all really need!! If I dont get my kooks y coated im wrapping it...
Coating is as good as throwing cash out the window.

OP, good idea. I'd be curious to see if it had a big enough impact on actual temp readings.

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSS
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Novel idea, but the way I look at it is this:

Yes, the pipe is near the trans, but the only way that pipe is going to heat up that pan is if you are idling for long periods of time. When the truck is in motion, air is moving over the exhaust and that pan and cooling them. All the heat is moving out the back of the truck. You may see somewhat of a difference, but it will be nothing notable IMO.

Eric, did you see any difference in spool times with the wrap?

As for this whole "humid climate+wrap=rotten pipes", Its possible, but I doubt he will see any issues. Our race car has wrapped headers, up pipe, down pipe, intercooler tanks, etc, and that car has been swamped out numerous times, and is raced on the ice/snow, and all the pipe under the wrap looks new. As long as the truck doesnt live in a pond, he will be fine.
Have you ever ridin a motorcycle. I ask because when you ride your legs are close to the exhaust, at least on dirt bikes. When in motion you feel the heat on your leg......unless you r wearing riding boots. That is what the header wrap simulates. As far a s the humidity i agree!! What a load of shit...:rofl:

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSS
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I used some DEI heat shielding on my pipes around the rear differential on my V. The heat would make it whine a lot and now it stays cooler and doesn't make nearly as much noise.

I should use what I have left over on the Aero.
:coolthumb:

·
moar cowbell
Trailblazer
6,426 Posts
Todd,

I gutted the cats at the same time and that definitely helped. I'm sure the wrap was mostly negligible, maybe helped a little... Alvin wrapped his on the shop truck back when it had the sts and he recommended it so I figured why not

And i agree, any heat coming off the ypipe will dissipate enough before it hits the trans, unless the pipe is physically touching it.

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSS
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Todd,

I gutted the cats at the same time and that definitely helped. I'm sure the wrap was mostly negligible, maybe helped a little... Alvin wrapped his on the shop truck back when it had the sts and he recommended it so I figured why not

And i agree, any heat coming off the ypipe will dissipate enough before it hits the trans, unless the pipe is physically touching it.
Have you ever ridin a motorcycle. I ask because when you ride your legs are close to the exhaust, at least on dirt bikes. When in motion you feel the heat on your leg......unless you r wearing riding boots. That is what the header wrap simulates.

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSS
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Tell me heat didnt cause this.....? Yes as you drive the moving air will move some of the heat, BUT he saw results....thats a fact

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.