Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have “Hot Cam” LS3 in my 2008 AWD. I believe I am on borrowed time with the transmission, so I want to put a plan together.

Here are my plans for the vehicle. All basic bolt ons, and ideally an LSA blower or Procharger. Goal is 600whp. Looking for as close to OEM setup as possible, just for ease of use since this is a daily driver. That being said, what trans is best for my setup? I’d say 95% daily driving, 4% “spirited” driving, and 1% track use/abuse.

A 4L70 would be nice because it bolts right in, and “plug and play”.

4L80 is supposedly better for the given power, but I’ve heard of 1st gear robbing power….is there confirmed instances of this? And I’d need new driveshafts and everything else to make it work.

6L80 is the most appealing to me because they are fairly stout units and who doesn’t like extra gears?!? Yes, need new supporting equipment like the 4L80 as well.

With all of these options, what would you recommend? Again, really wanting to keep drivability as stock as possible. Cost wise seems to be similar once you factor in a built 4L70 vs the other 2 options. I imagine the 6L80 would be most cost and labor intensive option.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you go forced induction, i wouldnt worry about the 4l80 1st gear issues. Youll have enough torque to make up for it.

A built, a properly built 4l70 is an easy button though from RPM, FLT, performabuilt, CPT, hughes, and a few others. Not too many know how to do right and offer solid postsale support.

I can count on one hand the number of folks with a working 6l80 installed that actually contribute that they did and its working between here and various Facebook groups.

Cost wise, with a built 4l70 or do what is needed to source a 4l80, special crossmember, harness, driveshaft and tuning…. Its a wash. The 4l80 only needs a shift kit and better stall. But you have to have the 4l70 built by the right place and not just any trans builder

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,974 Posts
RPM level X 4L70 with a Yank 3200 with a big cooler held 760rwhp on my Procharger stroker build. I grenaded the stock 4L70 at 605rwhp and shattered the sunshell RPM level 5 at 660rwhp.

Reactions: FlomaxSS

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
436 Posts
Built 4L70 holding up to 670hp just fine here

Reactions: theheder

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, what torque converter do you recommend? My main goal is drivability, but I do want to take advantage of the power as well.

Who went with an aftermarket flywheel? Any reason to upgrade, or anything to stay away from?

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
436 Posts
Yank SS series 9.5" billet. 3600 stall recommended for AWD and after a day of getting used to, is totally daily driver friendly, but will flash hard when you want it. Any cam thats worth swapping out for will need at least a 3200 stall. Anytime you add a cam for more power, you are moving the power curve up higher in the rpm range and hence why you would need a matching higher stall torque converter. So if goal is to maintain stock driveability, then leave it as stock as possible. To many of us here, we consider a big cam, higher stall tc and quicker acceleration to make the ride more fun to drive and from that perspective, having increased driveability. But to each their own.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate the feedback. I suppose I should clarify by saying currently the engine has 495hp (at the crank). As far as “stock drive ability”, I’m just wanting to be able to hop in and drive and do so in a normal fashion. Obviously, modifications change its habits, but I like the ease of being able to enjoy it in day to day driving.

Long term, this will be a pump gas, sleeper style setup. No gauges, no E85 (it does sit from time to time), just a fun grocery getter. If I wanted something faster I’d have just bought a Corvette.

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
436 Posts
Appreciate the feedback. I suppose I should clarify by saying currently the engine has 495hp (at the crank). As far as “stock drive ability”, I’m just wanting to be able to hop in and drive and do so in a normal fashion. Obviously, modifications change its habits, but I like the ease of being able to enjoy it in day to day driving.

Long term, this will be a pump gas, sleeper style setup. No gauges, no E85 (it does sit from time to time), just a fun grocery getter. If I wanted something faster I’d have just bought a Corvette.
go 3600 then and thank me later.. 3600 in a RWD could be considered by some to be too much, but in AWD, it's perfect!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts