Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
The funny thing is, the front bar is plenty stiff, just shorter end links are needed when the truck is lowered to keep the torsional rigidity. The problem with our trucks actually lies in the rear bar. A Hotchkis or DJM bar with shorter stiffer end links will create the most balanced suspension front to rear. The stiffer rear bar will take a majority of the roll forceoff the front suspension and reduce understeer. By putting a bigger front bar in (like the Addco), you will basically negate the rear bar increase and re-introduce the understeer to the front suspension.

Again, the key to our stock front sway bar is shortening the end links to make the bar sit level with the ground and perpendicular to the end link to maximize the roll stiffness of the bar.

·
Supra collector
TrailblazerSS
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I started to look for a fat swaybars is I have a new CTS-V at the shop getting a lot of custom work done ,we installed the fattest bars I have ever seen on any car,bigger than swaybars off Ford F650, lol.So I got an itch to get the fattest swaybars .

Evil,So you're saying the rear bar takes the most beating and is the weakest link?

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
The front is the most "used" bar since the front of the vehicle sees most of the lateral acceleration and roll force in cornering, so the rear bar getting upgraded takes and balances out the body roll and reduces the understeer our trucks have in stock form.

The best thing to do to the front is upgrade the bushings to the replacement poly bushings from Hotchkis.

And one last thing, end links end links end links!

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
It's stiffness not fatness, I'm happy as a calm with the Hotchkis kit, made the vehicle much more neutral in turns, I have to really be pushing it to get any roll. I could only imagine shorter endlinks like Evil is saying would help since you can see they're not on straight with any drop.

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
Ive had a Hotckis rear bar on my 02 TB for ~6 years now and it is absolutely great. A while back when everyone was hot and heavy on the Addcos I stuck with my Hotchkis bar, and honestly Im not sure doing both bars is necessary on our trucks. The front bar (especially on the 02-03 TrailBlazers) is massive compared to the rear [46 (02-03) or 44mm (04+) vs 27mm]. Just (like an hour ago) finished installing a DJM rear bar on my SS with some Hotckis bushings for the front. Hope it handles like my 02 does with the Hotchkis rear bar and front bushings setup, very neutral and tight.

My endlinks on the SS look good after 25k on them, but eventually Ill want to go with a good set of aftermarket ones (like Evil's making) and a more aggressive drop kit (vs just adjusting the load levelers).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.