Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pretty bad corrosion on my stock rims, as well as some curb rash from the previous owner. See pictures below. Are they too far gone to DIY aircraft stripper + sandpaper + polish? Other alternative would be sandblasting at a local shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
275 Posts
That looks like the typical clear coat failing. I don’t actually see any curb rash.

Yes, you can absolutely save them! Use the aircraft stripper first. If that doesn’t work, do it again until it does. Then, sand with 300grit, then 600. Take your time. Then polish them. Just remember, they will not have a clear coat on them anymore…just will require more TLC to keep them shiny!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like the typical clear coat failing. I don’t actually see any curb rash.

Yes, you can absolutely save them! Use the aircraft stripper first. If that doesn’t work, do it again until it does. Then, sand with 300grit, then 600. Take your time. Then polish them. Just remember, they will not have a clear coat on them anymore…just will require more TLC to keep them shiny!
Curb rash was on other wheels, forgot to include in pics. It will get dremeled off.

I am going to give it a shot. Will upload pics when done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine looked like that and the rim restoration shop said they could be blasted and painted but some spots would look a little rough. For the cost the shop was charging I went with new chrome rims - plus I couldn't find new center caps anywhere for the factory rims. here is the link. It took 5 months to get them.

Tire Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine looked like that and the rim restoration shop said they could be blasted and painted but some spots would look a little rough. For the cost the shop was charging I went with new chrome rims - plus I couldn't find new center caps anywhere for the factory rims. here is the link. It took 5 months to get them.

View attachment 104690
Those are very nice, but I'm gonna give it some elbow grease instead of coughing up $1,600 + tax + shipping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good luck! I tried mine and didn't have the patience. A friend recently passed away and he left me the car so I figured I could pony up for new rims in his memory. On another note if you are looking for a good product to put on the black around the windows and mirrors try Tire and Trim Gel restorer/protectant from the chemical guys. I was amazed how nice it came out

·
Registered
'07 TbSS 3ss
319 Posts
I would say you have nothing to lose by trying to strip and polish, maybe pay a shop to clear them properly. Center caps are replaceable, there's a recent post with a part # from a Traverse (IIRC) that fit.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
275 Posts
Yeah, replacement is the other option! But it’s worth a shot before you thrown down some serious coin and wait an eternity to see them.

Good luck, patience is key. Sandpaper is cheap…use it up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
As others said, that's clearcoat failure. The good news is you can fix it, bad news is getting all the clear off to then polish and reclearcoat is gonna be a lot of work. If you don't reclear, then you'll get oxidation.

Personally, I'd hit them with sandpaper and paint them. Or don't even sand them and plastidip them. They'd look better in black you know...

·
Registered
33 Posts
My wheels were in the same shape. I had them sand blasted (~$60)and was going to have them painted but the painter was as much as powder coating (~ $550). I went the spray bomb route using Krylon Fusion (paint & primer) with (separate) Clear Sealer [ Lowes]. The center cap has been clear coated (2 coats), the rim has 1 coat of clear sealer. What I learned is the sand blast grit will most likely be to rough so I should have sanded the bare rims with 400 grit. I painted the bare rims and the finish was "gritty". I thought the clear sealer would fix it but it didn't so I had to sand the clear coat with 400 grit. Also learned not to sand the color coat as it messes up the metallic finish (I used Dark Metal Metallic). I found this paint is really good at NOT running. Painted them when it was 80+ degrees out, -think it helped level the paint. Overall I'm satisfied, -figure they are "1 footers" or better Lol.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts