Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 AWD TBSS. I am considering doing true dual exhaust with 3' quad dual exits that are available through TBM. Any lessons learned or suggestions on exhaust type/brand for my desired application? I don't want to wake the dead when I get down on it when the Maggie gets installed. True sleeper is what I'm going for. So decent sound but don't want to wake the neighbors at 6am at first start;)

Pete

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
144 Posts
I have a 2007 3SS with 68276 miles. I installed a Magnaflow cat back. If you pound on it it is a little louder than stock. My wife said it doesn't sound as loud. NOT what I was looking for. I did some engine work including a lumpy cam, installed long tube headers, NO cats, took the resonator off and added a 5" 2' long chrome tip, same Magnaflow cat back. You can hear me coming now, 2 states away. I like the sound but it's really too loud. I would not do a NO cat exhaust again. Headers with cats and a Corsa cat back sounds good. They will not sell the muffler by itself.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
677 Posts
Some think the Magnaflow is quiet, but it was too loud for my wife and many of my colleagues. I didn't think the overall noise level was bad, but it can drone which makes it worse. I think the challenge is that the TBSS seems very prone to drone, which can make even quiet exhausts annoyingly loud.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some think the Magnaflow is quiet, but it was too loud for my wife and many of my colleagues. I didn't think the overall noise level was bad, but it can drone which makes it worse. I think the challenge is that the TBSS seems very prone to drone, which can make even quiet exhausts annoyingly loud.
Which exhaust system did you end up go with? Like I said, looking for a nice beefy sound but quiet for the most part.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the Borla dual 3"exhaust. Has a deep pitch, until you get on it! I have not seen this system for sale though. My Dad purchased it and had me instal it about 6 years ago on his SS. I have since acquired it and love every bit of it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the Borla dual 3"exhaust. Has a deep pitch, until you get on it! I have not seen this system for sale though. My Dad purchased it and had me instal it about 6 years ago on his SS. I have since acquired it and love every bit of it!
Is it the Borla Sport? True duals? What's your exact application if don't mind sharing?

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's not a true dual. Keep stock converter and flex pipe. Sorry I looked again and I'm not sure it's 3", maybe 2 1/2. It's the same diameter inlet and outlets if that helps. The last 12 inches or so of the tailpipes are 4" polished stainless (multi-layered). Rear exit, one on either side.

·
Registered
2007 TBSS
123 Posts
Hey, check out stainless works - you can do the turbo chambered, or s tube mufflers if you want louder. I did Black tips, and am waiting on the TBM dual valence panel (to be delivered in August (you can order them now, so it’s not that far off).

Stainless Works (SW) has headers and true dual exhaust for the Trailblazer. You can choose two center exhaust pipes if you don’t use your hitch, or two pipes on sides (TBTD goes around spare). You can also have SW powder coat the tips.

My blazer is pretty modified - 402 strokes, blower cam, Super charger w pulley, methanol, long tube headers, high flow cats.

Before the Stainless Works true dual exhaust, I had the Borla muffler and resonator. Couldn’t carry on a conversation inside, or outside the car. In fact, the dogs could hear me coming more than a quarter mile away.

After the update, I can still scare people, amd cruise around without drone.

Listen to SW’s sound clips, they do a number of comparisons for the CTS-V2, and other cars

CTS-V2
2014+ Silverado

will see if I can upload a video of the sound at idle with the turbo chambered mufflers.

·
Registered
'07 3SS 2WD
256 Posts
Speed LTs w/o cats. Stock exhaust other than that. Sounds great. Cam helped...

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
677 Posts
Which exhaust system did you end up go with? Like I said, looking for a nice beefy sound but quiet for the most part.
I made my own. ARH > dual 3" Y > single 4". 2x 1/4 wave resonators to tame drone. Pictures in the link in my signature. It's close, but I'm still trying to find the best balance of performance and drone.

Tim

·
Registered
Saab 9-7x
24 Posts
I have headers, high flow midpipes. Originally had a Flowmaster on it, sounded ok, but a bit of drone. Switched to the Magnaflow cat-back, just a single rear exit. It has a big muffler under the cab and a small one out back. It was quieter than the Flowmaster. So i pulled out the large muffler. That was too loud, lol. So the big one went back on and the small rear muffler came off. Now I think it sounds perfect, no drone, a bit louder than the Flowmaster, still easy to talk in the cab. I honestly wish Magnaflow sold it like this...

·
Silver Streak
TrailblazerSS
110 Posts
I have a 2009 AWD TBSS. I am considering doing true dual exhaust with 3' quad dual exits that are available through TBM. Any lessons learned or suggestions on exhaust type/brand for my desired application? I don't want to wake the dead when I get down on it when the Maggie gets installed. True sleeper is what I'm going for. So decent sound but don't want to wake the neighbors at 6am at first start;)

Pete
I’m also waiting on TBM rear valance and just got an email that it won’t be available until October(pissed). FYI…

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you go on the Borla site... the don't list any kits for the TBSS.....

Lol nevermind.... realized I was on LMP's site and not actually Borla's lol
Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 TBSS
123 Posts
If you go on the Borla site... the don't list any kits for the TBSS.....

Lol nevermind.... realized I was on LMP's site and not actually Borla's lol
Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I know my Borla was a welded muffler, and resonator, replacing the stock pieces.

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
411 Posts
Dual 3" to single 4" with a Hooker MaxFlow 4" muffler.. the sound is an orgasm in your ear

Reactions: P Smith
1 - 16 of 16 Posts