Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I'm a short term TBSS owner. Purchased an 2006 3SS in Jan. I've put about 9k miles on it thus far on top of the 91k that was already on the vehicle. Nonetheless, have run into (what I feel are just normal maintenance) and some that upon searching the thread are common problems.

Within a week or so I swapped out all fluids except the transmission. Figured I wait until the 100k mile mark on that along with trying to budget the money a little instead of throwing a big sum at it all at once.

The first was the front input shaft and carrier. Out of the blue to me, it went out while driving. So searched the thread, low and behold it's happen to many. So got those replaced. Next was exhaust leak that turned up. Didn't find any broken manifold bolts, but the exhaust leak is there. Yet again searched the thread and started to panic it could be the hellish lifter tick and worse. So, immediately changed the oil. I did not find any metal shavings so whew for now. After calling around to shops to price the work out, decided at this time to hold off on exhaust leak, (the cheapness of being a single father and child support payments).

Now the latest issue was last night, water pump gave out on me. So had to run around and fix that after work last night. I'm not going to throw in the towel on this thing, but it is getting a little frustrating. These are things I'm aware an almost 10 yr old vehicle with 100k miles will come across and will need to be address.

Besides the worry of spinning something internally or worse needing a new block (something that after reading is possible). Sorry for the drawn out explanation. The real question is what could/would/might be the next thing to fail?

This vehicle is bone stock to my knowledge other than an cat-back exhaust.

·
Premium Member
6.2 silverao
2,942 Posts
As much as you will hate to hear this the trans is a very weak link on these trucks.
Also to help patch the oiling issue with the motor run 7 qts of oil

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,778 Posts
Add rear air bags to the list

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh forgot to mention I did replace the bags with the a new arnott set. Since I have had the truck that was one of the first things I read on the thread was if the PNC oil pick-up tube isn't installed run the 7 quarts.

Well that's not promising to hear that the tranny is a weak link. I guess in retro-spec you gotta pay to play I tell myself.

·
Registered
2007 TrailblazerSS
39 Posts
my 07 trans went out at 145k miles.

I have owned the truck since mile 99,000

Did great until about a month ago, started slipping, then eventually grinding.
RPM lvl5 getting installed next week. with circle-d 3000 rpm stall and a PCMofNC trans cooler.

I bought the truck knowing it would go out though.

My rear main seal is leaking and my oil pan gasket is leaking.
So those are being replaced while the trans is out, adding PCMs oil pickup relocation tube to prevent future oil starvation.

I have replaced the alternator.

my fan clutch needs to be replaced, waiting to install Spal fans on that. engine Temps are fine.

other than that nothing huge(knocking on wood).

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
43 Posts
its not a matter of IF the tranny is going to go out but when. clutch fan usually goes out somewhere close to 100k as well.. rear main seal leaked.. I let the truck go with 94,000 miles on it. Replaced the tranny at $3k and decided I was tired of throwing money into it.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
You might want to fix the oiling issue with the pcmofnc oil relocate pickup tube. It will help with the longevity of the motor for sure, especially if you get onto it once in a while.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
16 Posts
Once you fix the transmission, the next thing on the list is the transmission. No this is not a typo.

Reactions: MR UGLY

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see a couple of you went with the RPM lvl 5 transmission. Will that or is that fixing the stock issue? Also, is that a straight install and go or do you have to tune for a lvl 5 to work properly?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
I see a couple of you went with the RPM lvl 5 transmission. Will that or is that fixing the stock issue? Also, is that a straight install and go or do you have to tune for a lvl 5 to work properly?
Depending on what your future plans are I'm sure a level 5 will be good. Bolt in and drive no tuning needed. It will definitely fix the weak trans issue!

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,778 Posts
Oh yeah. The plastic seat trim around the power seat controls. I am on my third one on the driver's side.

Reactions: Howie

·
07GroceryGetter
TrailblazerSS
233 Posts
Oh yeah. The plastic seat trim around the power seat controls. I am on my third one on the driver's side.

So I'm not the only one. Haha!! I can't say that I have ever had any problems. It's a lemon!!

Well I think I've been very luck with mine. I've had it going on 7 years now. It has 96k miles with the C6 pan, LS1 fans, kooks 1 7/8 headers, TVS 1900 w/ 3.0 pulley on stock converter and trans. (KNOCKING ON WOOD!!) I'm curious to see how much longer it will last and shocked that it has made it this far.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh no, don't say the "lemon" word. haha.

I'm just chalking it up to previous owner poor maintenance or abuse at this point. Or that's what I'm trying to tell myself on most of the stuff that goes wrong. The water pump though unexpected and a part I never planned on replacing just force me to change the coolant and thermostat both which I planned on doing very soon anyway. I definitely didn't expect the truck to be perfect for the life that I own it, but was hoping to put the money towards fun stuff instead of repair/replace.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
Easily fixed with one #8 self tapping sheet metal screw...just saying. You want to fasten it a little lower than stock position, so the seat cushion edge does not put stress on it and break the plastic ear that holds it in place.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
Trans life depends on tune...more than you know. Stock tune sucks (smooth shift=burnt up in no time)

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
325 Posts
You say you got the truck with 91k with a cat back exhaust that kinda hints that the previous owners must have ran the truck hard.

Who knows how well its was taken care of.

Ive purchased my ss back in 2011 with 50k certified pre owned im the 2nd owner first owner was a man in his 60's, truck is all stock still and i have done nothing but maintenance, runs as good as the day i got it.

I dont care if its an ss, corvette, bmw if you run a vehicle hard it will give you problems this nothing new.

Expect that whenever you purchase a used performance vehicle.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I completely understand that Bazooka. Even with the minor issues I'm extremely happy on deciding to purchase the SS. Even if I was on a New Years Day day drinking binge stuffing my face with some wings.

Note on the seat trim, appears someone decided to run a screw right in the middle of the the piece of trim and attach it to the seat frame. Pretty sure that's not factory, but I haven't had a problem so I'll just leave it alone.

Now if I could only get the courage enough to tackle the exhaust manifold leak I should be good to go, that is until the trans starts to fail.:doh:

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,778 Posts
Easily fixed with one #8 self tapping sheet metal screw...just saying. You want to fasten it a little lower than stock position, so the seat cushion edge does not put stress on it and break the plastic ear that holds it in place.
This is what I did about 1.5 years ago and it has been working so far.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
325 Posts
I completely understand that Bazooka. Even with the minor issues I'm extremely happy on deciding to purchase the SS. Even if I was on a New Years Day day drinking binge stuffing my face with some wings.

Note on the seat trim, appears someone decided to run a screw right in the middle of the the piece of trim and attach it to the seat frame. Pretty sure that's not factory, but I haven't had a problem so I'll just leave it alone.

Now if I could only get the courage enough to tackle the exhaust manifold leak I should be good to go, that is until the trans starts to fail.:doh:
Yeah that plastic piece unscrewed pretty easy.

Thats what i always tell ppl i know how can you possibly complain when a vehicle starts having issues after dogging it or modifying it like crazy(not saying yours was just speaking in general).

If you take care of these trucks they will give you minimal issues but thats the problem these trucks are quick and fun a lotta ppl run em hard.

These trucks are great and real head turners aswell im sure you'll get a lotta satisfaction out of it after taking care of those minor issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts