Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short:

I have a whine coming from the rear. Diff may have been 1qt low, didn't find a leak. I'd say it sounds like a turbine engine starting up and varies with speed.

Could it be the bearings or the diff?

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
Long story short:

I have a whine coming from the rear. Diff may have been 1qt low, didn't find a leak. I'd say it sounds like a turbine engine starting up and varies with speed.

Could it be the bearings or the diff?
1 quart is quiet a bit......Did you top it off and noise is still there?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

The diff is out and looks fine. I started my truck and put it in drive and still had the noise so I dropped the drive shaft and the noise was gone. This leads my to belive it's the pinion bearing that shit the bed.

Still going to put fresh bearings in along with a new set of 3.42's and ditch the 4.10's

·
=ЯΛWSSUM=
TrailblazerSS
1,137 Posts
How difficult would you say it is to swap gears on your own? with just normal garage tools, nothing too fancy..

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How difficult would you say it is to swap gears on your own? with just normal garage tools, nothing too fancy..
Everything up until removing the pinion gear has been simple. The pinion gear nut is a 24mm nut that is in a recessed hole. To remove it will need an impact gun. As far as bearings go, I'm not there yet so I'm not sure if I have to take it somewhere to have them pressed on or off.

·
Premium Member
Bet you cant tell
6,481 Posts
dont forget to check pinion depth and shime accordingly.

·
=ЯΛWSSUM=
TrailblazerSS
1,137 Posts
Keep us posted***:cheers1:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ordered the 3.42's and the master bearing kit. So far I'm in it for $349.00

Still have to order the fluid and friction modifier.

Hope to have the gears by Saturday - if thats the case, all will be done Saturday night including the TCM tune. I'll take pics of the assembly for you guys.

·
Registered
2007 TBSS 3SS
525 Posts
Got to get the bearings pressed of and on. Need to measure pinion depth aslo when you change out the gears. Dont forget about gear mesh also. Anything not doen right is bad news for the rear end.
Keep us posted!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts