Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
08 TrailblazerSS 2wd
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have 5000 to spend on the ss. My plain for the final truck is a 408 stroker wcch ported l92 heads and cam and a gss twin turbo kit going for big numbers hopefully 1000. But here's my dilemma what should I buy first. I kinda wanna do the heads now cuz I like being able to drive awhile then add the drive n add ya know. I was gonna buy heads cam headers and stall now but once I go turbo the headers and cam won't work anymore n when I go 4l80e neither will the stall. So should I wait n get the turbos then build the motor as available? Or get the heads now n sell the headers and cam when I get the turbo which would be like a year. N since were really not sure how much the gss turbo kit is gonna cost Im really not sure when I could get it. Bottom line is I got 5 grand and these r my goals what first I want more speed for the summer is reLy why I'm wanting the heads now help me guys

·
Banned
18,856 Posts
Well...From the sounds of what you want, its going to run you roughly $20K in mods. Now, if you think you can swing that for your final "PLAN", you need to figure out your goals and what will work on the long term. No need to buy parts or do the work twice IMO. SO your wanting a Full Engine Build. Will you build or buya Shortblock? You want Heads. Which Heads? IMO, I wouldnt bank on the GSS kit until its tried and true....and most of all produced....Seriously. There is always someone out there saying something is "Coming" and people wait forever only to go another route with something tried and true. You have a few options in the boost Dept, so dont get stuck on one thats not even available or priced yet. The 4L80 Swap and COnvertor done at once would be something you could buy and not have to re-do twice, and shoudl come in under your budget numbers. You also havent said if you're doing the wrenching or paying a hired hand to do it. This plays a lot into your budget as labor can get very expensive on extensive projects if you cant do it yourself.

Just a few things to think about, but it sounds to me like you need a solid game plan before you buy anything.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Bad Monkey Racing
1,559 Posts
:iamwithstupid: 4L80e First. Try to keep your finger prints off alot of everything else till you are ready to do all of it. If you are going to do heads, wait till you do the block. If you just change heads, well you'll do it again when you swap blocks. That adds up in the long run. New bolts, gaskets, etc. that alot of people do not take into account in thier budget especially retuing every time unless you do that yourself. Not to mention if those setups are not optomized for your turbo, you'll have to sell them at a loss more then likely. The 4L80e with a good stall will last and take abuse, and invest into an SFI approved flex plate. Especially if you are going that high. If you still have a stock XMSN then I say swap it out. You only do that once. No matter what after that it has to come off and get reinstalled no way around that.

As for the GSS kit. I agree that until its done its not here yet, I would count on seeing and knowing more by Febuary to be honest. I have been through a few builds in the past that "were coming" and never panned out. This time though, I think it will, and I have alot of faith in Louis.

Alot of guys want 1000HP but shit starts to get expensive and breaks way too easy, and 1000HP is alot of power. If your planning on going with Turbos then buy your parts and set them asside to work with that. Don't buy parts you'll have to sell later, the money you loose in selling it used then buying another gets pretty high sometimes. Good Luck

·
Bad Monkey Racing
1,559 Posts
One more thing, there alot more choices for converters with the 4L80e. Get a big bitch and it'll make up for not doing some of the other shit. Like 4000 or more :D

·
Premium Member
2wd Turbo
11,126 Posts
Keep saving!!!

No way in gods green earth you can build the setup your wanting for 20K.:2cents:

Your looking at 7k+ for a real 4L80, 6 to 8k on a shortblock, 7k power adder (turbo kit).

There is over 20 & your not even there yet! 1000hp TBSS is a hell of a feat!

You can do it just keep in mind all the little stuff that adds up fast.

Save,save,save. Then when you have a good chunk of change GO to WORK.:coolthumb:

Your loonking at a 40 to 60K build turning your own wrenches!:muahaha:

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
With 5k a trans, headers, heads and cam are going to be well over 5k

·
Premium Member
07 Imperial 1SS 2wd
2,625 Posts
Keep saving!!!

No way in gods green earth you can build the setup your wanting for 20K.:2cents:

Your looking at 7k+ for a real 4L80, 6 to 8k on a shortblock, 7k power adder (turbo kit).

There is over 20 & your not even there yet! 1000hp TBSS is a hell of a feat!

You can do it just keep in mind all the little stuff that adds up fast.

Save,save,save. Then when you have a good chunk of change GO to WORK.:coolthumb:

Your loonking at a 40 to 60K build turning your own wrenches!:muahaha:
Great advice. Just ask the guys on here who have went all out on there builds and Im sure they have way more than 20k invested. Good luck.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
1000 HP for $5000............Where can I get this????

·
Registered
08 TrailblazerSS 2wd
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I never said anything about making 1000 on 5k. And Im Planning on this costing over 20. And I plain on doing all work myself. As for the short block I'm gonna do a lsx block with a dragonslayer crank and h beam rods from callies. The lsx block I can get a verry good deal on with some connections I have n some people that owe me lol. I can get it for around 1300 and some change. And I see what u guys mean about the gss kit. If it docent work out I'll be reverting back to my old plain of a f1a pro charger
I've been in contact a bit with dbtbss and he's been advising a bit. N trust me guys I'm not planning on this being a over night build it will prolly take a fiew years which Is why I really don't mind having to double do a few things so I can still play a bit. What my plain was is to get heads cam n headers now n then be building a short block in the garage then when it's done swap the heads over to it n drop it in then put the turbos on when I could get them.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
Go with a TVS 2300 you can make the HP your looking for and it is proven!:2cents:

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
Nobody Said 5k for a thousand hp... :dunno:
His first post makes it kinda sound that way..........A few members commented on it costing more than $5K for what he's looking for......just sayin. We all know $5K won't get you too far......Lol.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
isnt that wat Joe is using on his build?
id sell my middle nut for a tvs2300
Ya I'm pretty sure he has a forged 370 with a TVS2300 and around 20 psi. Awesome setup something I would like to do in the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts