Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what exactly kills the bearings in the motor? I know it’s the crappy oil pan design but does it only happen when you launch the car from a dig or does it also happen when you go from a roll? And does steep hills affect it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking at getting one some time soon, so I second the steep hill question, wouldn't most of them have broken by now then, I know in the north east were going over steep hills pretty frequently.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
10 Posts
I've always run 7 qts in mine. 120K miles. I live in Tn. We have some pretty big hills around here so I wouldn't really worry about hills. Unless your going to do a burn out on a hill. But I did put a Corvette pan in it 3 months ago. Im really happy with it. I have Truck Norris cam I'm getting ready to put in it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just hot dogging it from a stop light occasionally and maybe being a 1/2 quart low on oil will probably kill the motor in less than 100k miles. Fully agree that running 7 quarts is the right thing to do. If you're RWD then the C6 pan is a must. I converted to RWD and the C6 pan. Its a happy day. Last I knew the pan kit was about $450. I bought my TBSS with a dead motor (was AWD then) with 142k miles on it. All was well till he ran it 1/2-1 quart low on oil then poof, gone. Two bad rod crank journals to the point of not trying to have the crank turned.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I run 7.5 qts. Part of me thinks an accusump would be the better option. The baffle is a cost effective approach, but if you're gonna go to the hassle of pulling everything to get the AWD pan off... Probably better to just get the damn pickup relocation tube.

That said, I think outside of some seriously jacked up situations, you're probably not gonna smoke a stock motor with 7.5 qts unless you're hard launching it up hill. There's no shortage of v8 trailblazers and similar that have survived towing and whatnot without ever running more than 6 qts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Personally, I think that over time the pan oil slosh wears bearings, etc faster than normal. Some survive but judging by the volume of dead engine discussions on this forum I’d guess many do not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts