Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
06' TBSS 2WD
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a Rockford P300.1, as well as the Rockford RFK8i wiring kit, and will have my sub shortly. I'm just wanting to add this to my existing stock Bose stereo. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
06 Black 3SS
1,489 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
449 Posts
:iamwithstupid:

I have a 6.5 inch amped bass tube installed with the stock Bose and it was simple to do out in the driveway in maybe 1 1/2 hours (keep in mind I have 0 experience).

Speaker level inputs can be tapped into behind the plastic pillar between the driver front and rear doors, and power is right there under the driver side rear seat. You can then run your RCA's under the carpet and pop them out in the corner of the back seat flap thingy.

That way if you have to put stuff back there the wires can be tucked under the flap thing and not smashed under whatever stuff you are lugging around.

·
Premium Member
06 Black 3SS
1,489 Posts
:iamwithstupid:

I have a 6.5 inch amped bass tube installed with the stock Bose and it was simple to do out in the driveway in maybe 1 1/2 hours (keep in mind I have 0 experience).

Speaker level inputs can be tapped into behind the plastic pillar between the driver front and rear doors, and power is right there under the driver side rear seat. You can then run your RCA's under the carpet and pop them out in the corner of the back seat flap thingy.

That way if you have to put stuff back there the wires can be tucked under the flap thing and not smashed under whatever stuff you are lugging around.

I tapped into mine at the amp, behind the big plastic panel in the back on the passenger side. plenty of room to hide stuff there. :cheers1:

·
Banned
Supercharged TBSS
1,940 Posts
get all new speakers. subs with Bose suck. get a nice set of alpine or something along those lines. and 2 amps. 1 amp for speakers 1 amp for your sub if u dont have . trust me will save you alot of headache.

·
Registered
07 TrailblazerSS 2WD
303 Posts
MTX RE-Q5, you can tap into the bose amp in the right rear quarter panel. My sub hits hard with everything else being factory.

·
Registered
2006 TBSS
119 Posts
not to hijack, but can you run your power off of the BCM power supply (big red wire), or should you go through the firewall to the battery?

·
Premium Member
06' TBSS 2WD
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And I have to have this? I thought I could just get a line level converter and be done with it? You'll have to excuse my cluelessness. lol

·
Registered
'06 TrailblazerSS
926 Posts
I'm in the process of doing the same thing and I just tapped into the rear door speakers for my line output converter and I'm bot getting any low bass. So I'm assuming there is a stock crossover somewhere. If you can help let me know thanks.

·
Registered
'06 TrailblazerSS
926 Posts
Can you tell me what color the wires are that i need to tie into coming out of the amp.

·
Registered
'06 TrailblazerSS
926 Posts
Nevermind. Found them. Tan and grey. Light green and dark green. If anybody needed to know.

·
Registered
White 2006 TBSS AWD
846 Posts
You'll need a line out converter. There are several different brands and prices to choose from, but I've had good luck with this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236REQ/MTX-re-Q.html?tp=6870

You just have to piggy back into your factory BOSE amp wiring, for the speaker level inputs, its really not too bad.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_318850/Factory-Sound-Processors.html?tp=6870
Any info on how to install the re-q5? I've had it for quite some time now and still haven't installed it cause i have no clue where to start.

thanks

·
Premium Member
06 Black 3SS
1,489 Posts
And I have to have this? I thought I could just get a line level converter and be done with it? You'll have to excuse my cluelessness. lol

You mean the RE-q?? It IS a line out converter, it's just a really fancy one lol. It allows you to compensate for bass loss as you turn the stereo up. (my factory bose does this as to not blow the speakers) It also allows you to set the sensitivity, crossover frequencies, and preamp gains. It's more money than the cheap stuff, but pretty handy too.

not to hijack, but can you run your power off of the BCM power supply (big red wire), or should you go through the firewall to the battery?

Are you talking about for your amp? I would highly advise hooking the power wire to the battery.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing and I just tapped into the rear door speakers for my line output converter and I'm bot getting any low bass. So I'm assuming there is a stock crossover somewhere. If you can help let me know thanks.

Lol, you should have tapped into your front door speakers for the bass. Do you have the BOSE or not? It might be the same for both, but when I did mine, I was sure to tap into the front speakers because it seems the rear doors have a factory high freq. crossover in place :dunno:

Any info on how to install the re-q5? I've had it for quite some time now and still haven't installed it cause i have no clue where to start.

thanks
It's pretty simple, and for some reason I can't find the pics anywhere from when i did it. How many amps are you running? For this I'll just assume 1, but really it makes no difference.

Needed:

Wiring Diagram for Re-Q
Wiring Diagram for your stock amp (be it BOSE or not)

For the stock diagram, you'll have to do some searching, but I found all of that stuff on this forum before, so you should still be able to.

for the power, 'remote', and ground hook ups, i used the fuse block under the rear drivers side seat. if you want to switch your amp on and off manually, hook the remote wire to a switch that youve run, or just find a fuse with a +12V on at accessory, and tap into that. Dont forget to use the provided fuse for the main power wire too.

Then you just use the speaker level inputs, and match them up into the stock amp wiring. I used splices like this, so as not to have to cut into the factory wiring: (but be sure to wrap them with electrical tape) For the sub level inputs, tap into the FRONT speaker outputs on the amp. The directions on the Re-Q should explain to you all these options.

Once you have the power, ground, remote, and the sub level inputs tapped into the stock amp wiring, (the stock bose amp on mine was behind the big plastic panel on the rear passengers side of truck.)... anyway, clean up your wiring, then tuck everything away behind the plastic panel, run the harness to your Re-Q, and you should be ready to hook up a pair of RCA cables from it to your amp. :cheers1:

·
Premium Member
06' TBSS 2WD
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I ended up going with this amp:

And this sub set-up:

This will give me plenty for what I'm looking for. :) Also just went with a regular ole $15 line level converter. lol I'll get pics up soon. :)

·
Registered
White 2006 TBSS AWD
846 Posts
You mean the RE-q?? It IS a line out converter, it's just a really fancy one lol. It allows you to compensate for bass loss as you turn the stereo up. (my factory bose does this as to not blow the speakers) It also allows you to set the sensitivity, crossover frequencies, and preamp gains. It's more money than the cheap stuff, but pretty handy too.

Are you talking about for your amp? I would highly advise hooking the power wire to the battery.

Lol, you should have tapped into your front door speakers for the bass. Do you have the BOSE or not? It might be the same for both, but when I did mine, I was sure to tap into the front speakers because it seems the rear doors have a factory high freq. crossover in place :dunno:

It's pretty simple, and for some reason I can't find the pics anywhere from when i did it. How many amps are you running? For this I'll just assume 1, but really it makes no difference.

Needed:

Wiring Diagram for Re-Q
Wiring Diagram for your stock amp (be it BOSE or not)

For the stock diagram, you'll have to do some searching, but I found all of that stuff on this forum before, so you should still be able to.

for the power, 'remote', and ground hook ups, i used the fuse block under the rear drivers side seat. if you want to switch your amp on and off manually, hook the remote wire to a switch that youve run, or just find a fuse with a +12V on at accessory, and tap into that. Dont forget to use the provided fuse for the main power wire too.

Then you just use the speaker level inputs, and match them up into the stock amp wiring. I used splices like this, so as not to have to cut into the factory wiring: (but be sure to wrap them with electrical tape) For the sub level inputs, tap into the FRONT speaker outputs on the amp. The directions on the Re-Q should explain to you all these options.

Once you have the power, ground, remote, and the sub level inputs tapped into the stock amp wiring, (the stock bose amp on mine was behind the big plastic panel on the rear passengers side of truck.)... anyway, clean up your wiring, then tuck everything away behind the plastic panel, run the harness to your Re-Q, and you should be ready to hook up a pair of RCA cables from it to your amp. :cheers1:
Wow, very good writeup, but all that time spent and I still have no clue wtf i'm doing back there lol. I think im just gonna bring this part of the install to a local shop and have them tinker with it. The rest i can manage as I've done it before. But where can i find the stock wiring diagram for the Bose amp in the back?

·
Registered
'09 TrailblazerSS
16 Posts
Nevermind. Found them. Tan and grey. Light green and dark green. If anybody needed to know.
I done the same setup, subs and amp with factory head unit. I haven't investigated any further but have you had any issues where after a bit of time the bass becomes almost non-existent? I just may have a bad wiring tap on the factory amp, but I thought I heard some rumors of other people having the same issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts