Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
04 NBSCC Silverado
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a GI bill from the military that needs to get used! 36K or more. I really want to go to an automotive tech, programming, or similar school. I have always been fascinated with motors and have learned just about everything I know( which isn't much!) From podunk mechanic jobs in high school and on my own. I consider myself very mechanically inclined but I have never gone to any formal school. Where did you all go and what are your certifications? How do you like it? Any good recommended schools? Can someone point me in the right direction! I am a firefighter so I work 24s and I think it would be awesome to have a side business tunning or wrenching! Thanks for any help.........I wanna learn more!

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
Formal automotive tech? I'd go UTI (universal technical institute) hands down. I know a few grads that attended and from what I've seen/heard great circiulum. A few campuses to chose from as well.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
474 Posts
Ever think of going into aeronautical mechanics? Thats what i went to school for at PIA, but there are a few other schools out there that offer classes to get an A&P license I am only 23 so i have only been doing this for alil over 3 years now. I used to build/work on Skirosky blackhawks and seahawks, but left there to work with my current employer, Lockheed Martin to where i have worked on parts from a F-16 to F-35 and am currently build sheetmetal parts for the C-130. I also have worked on commuter planes and some puddle jumpers.

·
Registered
2007 TrailblazerSS
432 Posts
I went to Lincoln tech. In Indianapolis. I loved it! Graduated with a 3.9 out of 4 GPA, received top gun status, got a bar and star in every class and was awarded the golden wrench award in all 4 quarters. The school was great. Very smart an helpful teachers too. It was also a great experience living out there. So much to do. But it's really up to u. You will only get out of it what u put in.

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
905 Posts
MMI is a good one too

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
49 Posts
I went to a community college with a collision program. For me it was the $ for school that held me back. I didnt care about timeframe. Just bear in mind that even with a degree from any tech school, it will only get you an entry level job. Good luck with whatever school you choose.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I did, Collision Refinishing and Hot Rod Fabrication at Wyotech. They have an automotive side as well, and a great Chassis fab/high performance motor setup too.

·
Premium Member
08 TBSS
5,858 Posts
I'm going to Pennco Tech for Auto Body and Paint Tech...

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
65 Posts
Went to Wyotech back in 03 for Diesel and Chassis Fab, the diesel stuff was new and enjoyed it. The main courses dont seem to be a let down from being there, the "extra" Hot Rod/Chassis/Engine Performance side were rushed IMO. The diesel was great though, worked on anything you could imagine, not only from the engines but also the drive train, hydraulics, electrical, whatever. In my opinion, I would go to a little community college and learn whatever you can with the basics, I use my GI Bill for the same thing, some of it I know, and some maybe new and a refresher. It will help if you want to go to a bigger school.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes I agree, the extra courses were a bit rushed.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
65 Posts
And one thing u might look into, GI Bill only authorizes so much per semester, the bigger the school the harder it will be to be covered, it pays to go to school, but some schools are just too high. For my 9 months Wyotech I paid off over 24k, my desert money paid that off. GI Bill wont payout that much. UTI, Nashville, are all renownee schools but pricey.

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
And one thing u might look into, GI Bill only authorizes so much per semester, the bigger the school the harder it will be to be covered, it pays to go to school, but some schools are just too high. For my 9 months Wyotech I paid off over 24k, my desert money paid that off. GI Bill wont payout that much. UTI, Nashville, are all renownee schools but pricey.
Was this the NEW GI Bill? I know they've made even more recent changes that will include police academies and any certificates needed after the course is completed.... i.e. firefighters will require EMT etc..

·
Banned
Everything I work on
2,917 Posts
Ok, I have a GI bill from the military that needs to get used! 36K or more. I really want to go to an automotive tech, programming, or similar school. I have always been fascinated with motors and have learned just about everything I know( which isn't much!) From podunk mechanic jobs in high school and on my own. I consider myself very mechanically inclined but I have never gone to any formal school. Where did you all go and what are your certifications? How do you like it? Any good recommended schools? Can someone point me in the right direction! I am a firefighter so I work 24s and I think it would be awesome to have a side business tunning or wrenching! Thanks for any help.........I wanna learn more!
There is only one place to invest your money and your time:

http://www.samracing.com/

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
There's one down here in Long Beach, Wyotech I think, but it may be UTI or something.

Just mentioning it if you want to stay on the Pacific Coast.

·
Premium Member
'08 TrailblazerSS
4,146 Posts
There is only one place to invest your money and your time:

http://www.samracing.com/
:iamwithstupid: if you are serious about learning machining and building engines thats the place to be. Makes Wyotech and UTI look like kindergarden in terms of an engine program.

·
Banned
Everything I work on
2,917 Posts
A few "well known" graduates of SAM:

Ed Michael, VP, Sterling Performance Racing Engines.
Ed Potter, Sales/Tech, Lingenfelter Performance.
Warren Frieze, VP/General Mgr., Katech Inc.
Joe Concato, Hendrick Motorsports.
Scott McCormick, Roush-Yates Racing Engines.
Dan Cordier, Dart Machinery.
Brian Nutter, Wiseco Pistons.
Erik Koenig, graduate and instructor at SAM, HKE racing engines.

·
Premium Member
04 NBSCC Silverado
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thank you all! looks like i have some research to do! im still currently enlisted but i will be getting out next year. the post 911 GI bill should pay for me to go to school full time and pay me a housing allowance as long as i am a full time student. the tricky part will be finding out what they consider a school. keep the ideas coming. alot of educated members on here. like i said earlier, im not looking to make big dough, just a passion i want to pursue........but if it ended up making me money down the road, i wouldnt be against it either:cheers1:

·
Premium Member
04 NBSCC Silverado
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
oh and as far as the aircraft goes......im tired of crawling around and dragging dummies out of c17,c5,f15,f22,c130(with #1 and 3 engine out!)kc10,kc135....and on and on. I am tired of aircraft and i have unfortunately seen the catastrophe that they can cause when things malfunction.... google and youtube c17, AWACS, and f22 crash @ elmendorf. i respoded to the c17 and f22. i have seen what happens to all the maintenence personell after a crash like that and i dont want a part of it!locked down and investigated. sorry to ramble- sore subject

1 - 20 of 29 Posts