Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part 2...

Please share your experience, good or bad, those of you that have well water vs city water. I've always had city water and it would be nice to not have a water bill, but then there's the cost of salt, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Please share any experience with propane for house heat here:

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56730

:cheers1:

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,278 Posts
I drink my own piss and shit :barf:

I have a septic and a well... you do the math.

Bottled water is my friend.

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
Well water will stain your toliets, it stinks like eggs, plus you have to get a water softener, not the best tasting (nasty!!) either

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,037 Posts
I like city water. I would rather not drink my own shit and piss:barf:

·
Registered
2006 White 2WD LT
274 Posts
never experienced any foul smelling or tasting well water. My dad has city water one town over and I HATE it. To many chemicals and crap in it. Only downside to well water is mineral deposits. My grandma lived next door to my mom and her water had terrible amounts of calcium whereas my moms is perfect. Mine which is two minutes down the road is fine as well. Little bit of iron but the house already had a water softener and filter installed. I love well water taste wise. Had it tested for everything when I bought the house. I spend maybe $15 every 6 months or so in salt pellets. Basically nothing.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, this house we're looking at is 20 years old and has a new 1.5hp deep well pump, new pressure tank and new charcoal filtration system. I saw the bags of salt stacked in the basement next to the softener.

Anything missing from that equipment? Realtor said most people with wells drink bottled water. My current house is city water and we drink the water from the fridge which has a filter and it tastes fine.

·
Iam sofa king we todd did
tbss
1,145 Posts
There is enough equipment out there to fix what ever problem you are having. I am sure a water softener will do just fine.

You wont have a water bill but you will have the cost of salt.

DO IT---Buy it if its your dream house.

But thats just me. I know my next place will have the same setup but its a price I am willing to pay to have a shop (huge ass garage). And some acreage.

·
Premium Member
06 RWD Whitey
6,023 Posts
A lot of it depends on the depth at which you drill your well to and where your water tables sit.

Where I am at we have 3 different water tables to go with.
Anything from 15 feet to 400 is irrigation quality only.
400 - 950 is easily treated with minimal chemicals.
Anything beyond 950 is drinking quality right from the tap and damn good!!

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS AWD
1,655 Posts
A lot of it depends on the depth at which you drill your well to and where your water tables sit.

Where I am at we have 3 different water tables to go with.
Anything from 15 feet to 400 is irrigation quality only.
400 - 950 is easily treated with minimal chemicals.
Anything beyond 950 is drinking quality right from the tap and damn good!!
Wow that is deep! I grew up in the country too. Our well water water was amazing. Very soft, very low iron. Well was a bit over 200 feet. When I first moved to the city I couldn't stand the water it was horrid. Eventually I got used to it.

There was a natural spring not far from our house where the water came to the surface. It was all grown over with heavy grass, my brothers and I would jump on it and the ground would wave like a water bed, we would push logs through the overgrowth and they would sink out of sight. Thinking back we were fucking retarded.

·
Whiskey Tango...
AWD TBSS
4,084 Posts
I have a well and the water is fine after going throught the softner. We also have a Kinetico reverse osmosis for drinking water and it tastes great. The water in my detached garage is not softened and you can tell the difference. I live "out in the country" and most of the houses around here have wells. About you other thread, have you looked into goethermal? We have no gas whatsoever in my house all the heat/cooling is from the geo units. Water goes from my well, through the house, and empties into my pond. Then my yard is irrigated from the pond. Something to think about.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
165 Posts
Also keep in mind that if the power goes out, you will lose water if you have a well as opposed to city water. A lot of people dont realize this at first. Quality wise, well water can be brought up to par with city water by using treatment. Around here (Long island), our "city" water comes from wells anyway. Its just filtered and treated. And finally, with a well you dont have a water bill anymore but you still need electric for the pump so i imagine the costs are similar. Never really did the math though..

·
"whitey"
1,211 Posts
When on a well, most of the time you have a septic system: convential (only have to pump out solid periodically), or holding (have to have both liquid and solid pumped) or you will be hooked up to sewer and will still have a water bill for sewage usage.

Both well and city water have their pluses and minuses, I have city water and sewer and we have great water here and I never have to worry about waking up and finding my toilets don't flush because my septic tank is full. But I would not determind to buy or not to buy a home just because of the water system, only if the system is up to par :2cents:

·
Premium Member
06 RWD Whitey
6,023 Posts
Well, I live in the middle of the city.
I have 270 feet of septic lines that run from the front of the house out towards the street and wind through the front yard.
My well is behind the house about 100' from the house. If I run the pump for the well non-stop for a month, it adds about $30.00 dollars to my electric bill. Doesn't cost much at all to run the pump for it. Where your expenses are for a well are up front, having the well put in! I am certain it is different everywhere, but where I am at, it is $2,500.00 for 100', $10,000.00 for 500' and $23,000.00 for 1k feet. They bring the rig out, drill the hole, case it, plumb it and wire the pump in. The only thing I had to do was provide the 220 service to the hole (that sounded dirty :biggrin2: ).

·
Registered
07' TrailblazerSS
210 Posts
Were I live I have great well water with VERY minimal iron if any really and septic. I use to live in the city and had city hook up and I actually like the well better and septic isn't bad just watch your laundry on what you use like bleach and downy that screw with them and don't use them if you can and have it pumped and checked quick once a year and your done, I throw that Rid X in once a month and I have a septic guy next door and he said what ever your doing keep doing because there is hardly anything in my tank when he comes and checks and pumps it. But on my well I have a Kenetico on demand softer and I fill it with about 2-1/2 bags of salt about once every 3 months and change the whole house filter every 3 months that is before it, and for drinking water in the kitchen I have an R.O. faucet at the sink and I can't really taste the difference between the R.O. and the regular faucet.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
552 Posts
I just recently went from having city water to well water. I like it. Does taste better. I do plan on adding a rock catcher and a softner soon as i get time.

I also have an aerobic septic system.. No lateral lines sprinkler head pops up every few days and waters my lawn. Nothing like watching your kids play in it.

·
Premium Member
07,09 -3SS- Blk,Slv
5,400 Posts
I grew up with well water in NJ farmlands, never had an issue with hard water, smell, etc, etc...

I now have city water in CA and I absolutely hate it.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
458 Posts
We bought a house on well and septic. I am a little more conscious about my utilities now, since I have to upkeep them, but so far it's been good. Have a 250' well with a chlorinator and charcoal filter, still need to fix the softener. We've been drinking bottled water cause I haven't had the time to take a water sample to the health department, but there is no smell or color to it. Just paranoid because I've never been on a well before myself.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
211 Posts
I have both a well and a septic with a pump. On the well I have an iron filter and no smell or problems with build up in the shower heads or toilets. Drink the water all the time an it's great, like it better than the city water I just moved from.

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
We have well and septic.....The water does not smell...Lol. It will stain the toilets if you don't clean regularly. We use the water for cooking and cleaning. I built an R O system in our basement for the drinking water. It is saving us TONS on buying drinking water.....If you are looking to buy this house make sure you have the well output checked!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts