Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any benefit to removing the spare, passenger seat and back seat before a run at the track. Ive done some upgrades and hoping to hit very low 13s I do have moderate mods including E fans, small cam, headers, 4"FWI power tune to list a few and a 2800 stall. And just wondering if the weight loss might help

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,578 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
53 Posts
Try this. Make one pass with full weight, and another pass with your mentioned items taken out....I bet you run faster with less weight.

In all seriousness, yes weight reduction does help. But remember, it’s still an SUV.

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,578 Posts
Look at OFFICIAL weight reduction & parts weights thread
Rear seat back wide 51.6 lbs narrow 28.4 lbs
Rear seat bottom wide section 16.8 lbs Narrow section 14.3 lbs
Passenger seat 57.2 lbs
Spare tire and wheel with air 60.2 lbs

That's 228.5 lbs total. Generally accepted rule of thumb is a tenth of a second for each 100 lbs.
Go to ET-MPH-HP Calculator and play around to see the difference.

I permanently removed the spare tire carrier also as it's a pain in the ass to use anyway, especially in snowy or muddy conditions.

If you have a passenger, the seat is easy to remove at the track. It's just two nuts and two bolts.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thanks, I figured it would be around 200 lbs but I didn't think it could make such a noticeable difference

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
367 Posts
IMO it is ridiculous to remove seats just for a track time. Run it like you brung it. I don't understand why anyone would use a 4-door suv as a base for a racecar that they intend to take seats out of permanently or temporarily.
I deleted a ton of shit off my rwd SS but never did it seem a good idea to give up the option of having 3 buddies along for for the ride since it is after all a 4-door vehicle.
Lots of ways to lose weight wo taking out the seats, although I did reuse stock seats, I lightened them by about 7 lbs each and converted to manual seat on my driver side. Then I took off weight everywhere else.
And yes weight does make a huge difference. My stock rwd at 4370lbs wo me in it, went 13.9 in the 1/4.
After headers, cold air intake and a tune to 450hp, 3775 lbs wo me in it but all 4 seats inside the vehicle 11.93!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To the last reply and an update. I removed all seats because I wanted to scrub out 13 years of food and drink and general ick in the carpet and seats so I just put the drivers back in for a run ..... it was awful I couldn't hook up to save my life, now my tires are good not great but I've neve had problems getting decent traction before and a buddy at work said something about knowing a formula about every lb. behind the center line of a vehicle adding so much grip and that's when I realized that the back seat is behind the center line so will be putting the seats back in and trying again. So unless you've got a super sticky tire taking out the back seat and spare which I left in it's a wash because you cant get grip off the line

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,853 Posts
At a well prepped track that should not be an issue

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was a bad night at the track they spent more time cleaning oil up than running cars and by my 2nd and 3rd pass the temp was down around 45 But I'll run it again this week or next to see how it dose with the seats back in

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,853 Posts
What tires and psi?

45 degrees, big diameter rims, small sidewall street tires are a poor combination.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
255/45/20s general G max AS-05 budget buy for me found for about $135 each but honestly not a bad tire for the street they grip pretty well and was running about 28 psi

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,853 Posts
Best rwd drag pack with stock rear brake rotors I found was 16" regular trailblazer rims with 275 55 16 M&H race masters at 18 psi.

I cut many 1.5* 60 ft times on that setup at full weight. 4300ish pounds.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,563 Posts
Best rwd drag pack with stock rear brake rotors I found was 16" regular trailblazer rims with 275 55 16 M&H race masters at 18 psi.

I cut many 1.5* 60 ft times on that setup at full weight. 4300ish pounds.
I followed this advice and got these exact same tires/rims. The M&H's do hook great! I have yet to knock out a good 60' like yours, only 1.7 so far, but with a driver mod I know I can do better!

Reactions: theheder

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so with the seats back in. Got to the track and ran a 13.8 consistently. 2 things first is taking the seats out made a ran .5 faster with the seats out second is i need to contact the guys at PCM of NC because I ran a 13.3 before I added headers cat delete 2800 stall and a new power tune from those guys and ask whats wrong here

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh clarification before somebody says something. Im not saying you'll run a half second faster with the seats out that's just what happened in my case and not all things were equal when i ran the 13.3 it was a cooler drier night and last night was stander Fla weather warm and humid

1 - 16 of 16 Posts