Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The title pretty much sums it up, but here is the full version.

Before we started this build I did a lot of research, talked to a lot of folks and decided on a tuner. We chatted for a bit, discussed the build and everything was kosher. As the build progressed and we got closer to finishing, we chatted again. The plan was to get a start up file from them so we could fire the truck and ensure everything was OK, then ship the truck to them and let them have it for a few days to do the final tuning. I went ahead and bought HPT Pro (truck was tuned with EFI Live, which I also have, but this tuner uses HPT so I bought that too) sent them a copy of the base file, and haven't heard back in ~4 weeks. No return calls, no return emails, no start up file.

For the record, it was not FMS who was lined up to tune the truck...but much like others ordeals there, I don't want to deal with someone who's not going to provide any support after the fact. Also, for those curious, I had not paid anything for the tune (though the offer to pay upfront was there) yet, aside the purchase of HPT, so this IS NOT a case of lost money/scamming.

Ive talked with several local tuners, and the answers Ive gotten have ranged from "we didn't build it, we don't have any interest in tuning it" to "we simply have too much else going on right now to give something like that the time it needs". Ive seriously considered flying someone in and have talked to a couple very well respected tuners on here - the trouble I'm running into is they too are busy and simply cant get to it any time soon...winter is just a few months out and I don't really feel like having this build sit in the garage all winter waiting on a tune.

I'm open for suggestions, so please fire away.

Some of you have seen the build thread, but here is a basic rundown:
LEP 416
LC32 Jackshaft TVS2300
Aeromotive Eliminator in tank, 850cc Dekkas
Phoenix 4L80E, 3200 stall
AWD
Full copies of both HPT and EFI

I'm not really looking for someone who has tuned H/C/I on their own truck and done pretty well - Id really like someone who has solid experience with FI builds.

Thanks in advance,

Coop

·
06 TrailblazerSS 2wd
3,508 Posts
PCMofNC is very competent with all forms of tuning and is a magnuson dealer so I would say they can handle tuning FI fairly easy.

·
06 TrailblazerSS 2wd
3,508 Posts
I was assuming he would just get it running and take it to PCM. another good one would be to catch LT1Z on some vacation time and fly him out LOL

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hope you can find a good solution Ryan. I would have liked to have helped but being so far away makes it next to impossible. This is not a job for mail order tuning.
Thanks Matt, I certainly appreciate all your help too!

I should have also mentioned that we are looking to get it tuned as early in September as possible. I head to Korea at the end of the month for 6+ weeks and the goal is to have it squared away and down the track before snow flies. I know the time frame is tight, but unfortunately that's what I'm left to work with after the original plan went to shit.

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
I'd say fly Matt out there. But he can't.. So is have a mail start up tune from PCMof NC than ship him the truck.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,012 Posts
on the extreme end of things, if you can get a "base" tune in the mail to get your truck at least running safely, you could always ship your truck for roughly $800 one-way to somebody you trust, then fly in and drive it home.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Jeremy Formato of Fasterproms is flying up to Gettysburg, PA for a week (8/21-8/28) to do custom tuning. It might be worth giving him a shout @ 813 476 7364, and throwing a few questons at him. He's done a lot of simple performance/drivability tuning for the SSR crowd, and they seem satisfied with the outcome. He's been at it for a while now, so that might be encouraging?! Good Luck!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
on the extreme end of things, if you can get a "base" tune in the mail to get your truck at least running safely, you could always ship your truck for roughly $800 one-way to somebody you trust, then fly in and drive it home.
This may be the route we take, the original plan was to ship it both ways and that was going to run ~1k...but I certainly wouldn't mind a road trip home.

The start up file is going to be key though; I don't want to fly someone in or ship it somewhere only to find out we have a foolish issue with the trans/wiring/coolant leak etc. that's going to take some time for us to fix or something I have to pay someone else to do that could have been corrected in advance.

Were really just looking to get it through a few heat cycles, ensure we've got a good communications with everything, no leaks, trans/converter/new drive shafts are all kosher etc; not even really looking to get it out on the road.

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
Jeremy Formato of Fasterproms is flying up to Gettysburg, PA for a week (8/21-8/28) to do custom tuning. It might be worth giving him a shout @ 813 476 7364, and throwing a few questons at him. He's done a lot of simple performance/drivability tuning for the SSR crowd, and they seem satisfied with the outcome. He's been at it for a while now, so that might be encouraging?! Good Luck!
This ^^ I'm very very lucky to have him local. Thank god in buying this GTP cause the SS needs tune when he's gone -_-

·
Premium Member
TBZ06
7,058 Posts
Ryan if you can somehow have Matt (LT1Z) or Joe (LC32) do it that's who id go with & of course PCMofNC is always a good choice.

If you need to get rid of the HPT, let me know I'm looking for one.

Good luck dude, can't wait to hear that thing running.:cheers1:

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
If Jeremy's coming up, that might be a good solution.

Not going to put my recommendation on him or Matt @ TuneTime, but those are semi-local options. Biggest thing is that setup will take at least a day or 2 of fulltime work to get right (without a semi-base tune) and should be done on the dyno.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
381 Posts
The title pretty much sums it up, but here is the full version.

Before we started this build I did a lot of research, talked to a lot of folks and decided on a tuner. We chatted for a bit, discussed the build and everything was kosher. As the build progressed and we got closer to finishing, we chatted again. The plan was to get a start up file from them so we could fire the truck and ensure everything was OK, then ship the truck to them and let them have it for a few days to do the final tuning. I went ahead and bought HPT Pro (truck was tuned with EFI Live, which I also have, but this tuner uses HPT so I bought that too) sent them a copy of the base file, and haven't heard back in ~4 weeks. No return calls, no return emails, no start up file.

For the record, it was not FMS who was lined up to tune the truck...but much like others ordeals there, I don't want to deal with someone who's not going to provide any support after the fact. Also, for those curious, I had not paid anything for the tune (though the offer to pay upfront was there) yet, aside the purchase of HPT, so this IS NOT a case of lost money/scamming.

Ive talked with several local tuners, and the answers Ive gotten have ranged from "we didn't build it, we don't have any interest in tuning it" to "we simply have too much else going on right now to give something like that the time it needs". Ive seriously considered flying someone in and have talked to a couple very well respected tuners on here - the trouble I'm running into is they too are busy and simply cant get to it any time soon...winter is just a few months out and I don't really feel like having this build sit in the garage all winter waiting on a tune.

I'm open for suggestions, so please fire away.

Some of you have seen the build thread, but here is a basic rundown:
LEP 416
LC32 Jackshaft TVS2300
Aeromotive Eliminator in tank, 850cc Dekkas
Phoenix 4L80E, 3200 stall
AWD
Full copies of both HPT and EFI

I'm not really looking for someone who has tuned H/C/I on their own truck and done pretty well - Id really like someone who has solid experience with FI builds.

Thanks in advance,

Coop
Im assuming you all ready spoke to Slowhawk and got 1 of these answers?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im assuming you all ready spoke to Slowhawk and got 1 of these answers?
Yea, Don actually did the tune on it before I bought it. He said he was simply too busy right now to take the time to tune it. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but I appreciate the honesty and him not wanting to try and squeeze it in where he may not be able to give it 100%.

·
Midgets with hammers
'06 TBSS AWD
15,999 Posts
I can't believe it's this hard to find a good tuner available with the amount of effort and options you're willing to provide. I completely understand that the best are always busy and the reason behind that, it just sucks though. Good luck and you know to holler if I can do anything else to help this beast (and you). Lol :cheers1:

www.dphoses.com
www.facebook.com/dphoses

1 - 20 of 30 Posts