Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to changing out the rear end fluid.

'07 TBSS 2WD with just over 3000 miles.

My truck had the common "moan/groan" sound while cornering tightly (both cold and when warmed up). I was going to take it to the dealer until I read BBA's posts. I DID NOT want weaker springs installed.

So, I ordered the VP GL-100 (using BBA's link). I tried to get (1) gallon as recommended, but Beth from VP emailed me and asked if (4) quarts would be ok.

I removed the fill bolt (3/8 drive), to check to level of the original fluid (about 1" below the fill hole).

I then removed the mag plug (same 3/8 drive but with added extension to clear the sway bar) drained the fluid into a bucket, noticing the metal "dust" stuck to the mag plug.

I cleaned off the plug and re-installed it. I was able to fill the diff without removing the spare tire. I just put on the supplied cap from VP and slipped about 4" of 1/4 vacuum line on to the end and direct the fluid into the fill hole.

It took roughly 2.75 quarts to fill back to within 1" of the fill hole.

I tightened up the cap, and took her for a spin.

I may be crazy, but the truck seemed quieter than before, even in a straight line. I immediately did some tight figure 8's to check for the moaning...nothing!! :cheers1:

Thanks BBA, I will update this if the sound ends up coming back.

Brad

·
Registered
420 Posts
Next time...

Finally got around to changing out the rear end fluid.

'07 TBSS 2WD with just over 3000 miles.

My truck had the common "moan/groan" sound while cornering tightly (both cold and when warmed up). I was going to take it to the dealer until I read BBA's posts. I DID NOT want weaker springs installed.

So, I ordered the VP GL-100 (using BBA's link). I tried to get (1) gallon as recommended, but Beth from VP emailed me and asked if (4) quarts would be ok.

I removed the fill bolt (3/8 drive), to check to level of the original fluid (about 1" below the fill hole).

I then removed the mag plug (same 3/8 drive but with added extension to clear the sway bar) drained the fluid into a bucket, noticing the metal "dust" stuck to the mag plug.

I cleaned off the plug and re-installed it. I was able to fill the diff without removing the spare tire. I just put on the supplied cap from VP and slipped about 4" of 1/4 vacuum line on to the end and direct the fluid into the fill hole.

It took roughly 2.75 quarts to fill back to within 1" of the fill hole.

I tightened up the cap, and took her for a spin.

I may be crazy, but the truck seemed quieter than before, even in a straight line. I immediately did some tight figure 8's to check for the moaning...nothing!! :cheers1:

Thanks BBA, I will update this if the sound ends up coming back.

Brad
Take the cover off and you will find a shit load of clutch dust that did not come out when you simply drained it. Spray out the rear, then refill. You can get the 14 bolt gasket from any GM dealer or use RTV only but the gasket is the best bet. Always try to use two bottles of additive even if you use the GL100. We found it lasts longer no matter what fluid although haven't had the GL100 in long enough to find out if the noise will "ever" come back.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
Glad your pleased, it's really good stuff.

I have used it to quiet down even the chatteryist of rear ends...the dodge 8&7/8", when no other lube additive combination could do it. (Yes, it was built too tightly on the limited slip clutches too).

You will notice better mileage and easier take offs in general and you will likely never have to change it ever again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts