Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of serious testing this weekend comparing the Vector HSRK to the stock IAT sensor.

In a nutshell I have found the Vector offering to read colder than the stock IAT and the reaction times to be only equal if not slower than the stock unit.

This is testing using just one truck and one Vector HSRK so your results may vary.

For those that care to read (and see the results in detail including video), you can look here. http://www.ss-shootout.com/hsrk-results.html

I am basically very disappointed in the HSRK unit and have went back to stock. I have been a big proponent of the HSRK kit so these findings are not ones I am thrilled to announce. Sorry for the delay, I know I told some of you I would have had this done a month ago.

Rich

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought u had prior testing and siad it worked
Pedro as you know I have always thought the HSRK was a good idea. I have been wanting to log the results with HPT I/O for a long time. But finally got around to it.

Yes I have argued in favor of the HSRK because it seems snappier to respond and it makes sense.

Its a VERY hard thing to test because you cant pop the hood and swap sensor connectors without the reading changing. The only way to test is analyzing both at the same time.

I think Andy tried to talk me out of it in the beginning saying it wouldnt work. He was right.

So I take back any positive comments I have ever said about it because it just did not prove to work.

Rich

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
IDK but ive done alot of data logging and my IAT temps seem to be about 15 degrees difference relocated inside the airbox. Second thought, I do have a seal around my airbox. Finally made the move to this forum...

·
Registered
07 1SS
963 Posts
In Andy's tune, he can tune it out or put it in.. The HSRK is a bogus mod. You can tell the comp. how much timing to pull at any temp, meaning your tuner can adjust it according to where you want it or don't.. You should still have it in somewhat to avoid det.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In Andy's tune, he can tune it out or put it in.. The HSRK is a bogus mod. You can tell the comp. how much timing to pull at any temp, meaning your tuner can adjust it according to where you want it or don't.. You should still have it in somewhat to avoid det.

To me it makes no sense trying to cheat. Just get accurate air temps and tune with what you have !

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD Red Jewel
1,713 Posts
When it comes to this topic, I have to say, some folks just flat ass don't know what they are talking about. No offense to anyone posting in this thread. I can tell you beyond any shadow of a doubt that I have more time with the HPtuners scanner running on a TBSS than anyone period. I am talking 100's of hours between all my different setups and the trucks I have tuned. I have had intakes from Andy and from ieatsrt8. There is an incredible difference between the IAT temperatures on the two kits. I have tuned a total of 19 TBSS's with the various kits. The big different is that with the IAT relo kit you don't make large changes to the IAT vs timing table. Either way you accomplish the same end results. The IAT inside the stock MAF doesn't move anywhere near as quickly as the one inside the ADM MAF or an external sensor as in the IAT relo kit. There is more than one way to skin a cat folks. Either you buy the ADM kit which has a far superior MAF than the stock unit, or you buy the ieatsrt8 kit with IAT relo......you get to the same result. It is all in the tuning from there.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When it comes to this topic, I have to say, some folks just flat ass don't know what they are talking about. No offense to anyone posting in this thread. I can tell you beyond any shadow of a doubt that I have more time with the HPtuners scanner running on a TBSS than anyone period. I am talking 100's of hours between all my different setups and the trucks I have tuned. I have had intakes from Andy and from ieatsrt8. There is an incredible difference between the IAT temperatures on the two kits. I have tuned a total of 19 TBSS's with the various kits. The big different is that with the IAT relo kit you don't make large changes to the IAT vs timing table. Either way you accomplish the same end results. The IAT inside the stock MAF doesn't move anywhere near as quickly as the one inside the ADM MAF or an external sensor as in the IAT relo kit. There is more than one way to skin a cat folks. Either you buy the ADM kit which has a far superior MAF than the stock unit, or you buy the ieatsrt8 kit with IAT relo......you get to the same result. It is all in the tuning from there.
Brian, I am not sure what you are saying but I agree with some of your comments.

The point I am making is that the HSRK I bought (which is supposed to read the same temp as the stock IAT and react faster acccording the manufacturer - no tuning required) doesn't. And this is using their intake. It just doesnt work and its easy to see that in the logs.

I am not saying other HSRK kits in other intakes don't work. I am just saying it does not read the same temp or react faster as tested. So IAT vs IAT it isnt helping me except giving me a less temp reading which could be counter productive.

I am a big fan of the ADM intake as its without a doubt the best manufactured intake on the market. Period. I dont think the 100mm MAF makes any difference on a mail order tune over the stock MAF though.

These trucks have problems with getting cold air. Its just a bad design. I think if we focused as much on getting cold air as we do the relocate we would be 100x better off.

Most buyers of this kit do not run HPTuners/EFIlive or even know what the IAT vs timing tables are. This was supposed to be a mail order/no tune product.

Rich

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD Red Jewel
1,713 Posts
I hear yah Rich. I just think the folks that doun't have the ability to truely log it or understand how the tuning works need to gracefully bow out of the conversation. "Hey everyone, get in we are gona go really fast" Note - the car faces the edge of a cliff but no one looks they all simply climb in and buckle up. THAT is the mentality that people have about defending this mod or speaking out against it.

If everyone is willing to cut a whole in their inner fender and relocate the washer resivoir.....I will make a fiberglass ram ait kit that uses the passengers side lower grill. That is a big if though. It is kind of a pain in the ass and it is not cheap by an means

H

·
0 Posts
Want a cheaper HSRK? Go to Radio Shack and get a 4.7K ohm resistor and put it in place of your IAT.. :)
The HSRK is just another Tornado or TB spacer BS thing. Dont you think GM has had plenty of time to R&D this unit to say its good enough to put on every single car since 2004? I dont even see where people think the heat soak comes from. ITS MOVING AIR!!! It will take alot more a foot of pipe to heat up air thats moving at such high velocity into the engine, so it doesnt matter where the IAT sensor is. If they argue that the sensor itself gets heat soaked- ITS A RESISTOR!! Its going to get hot because of the current passing through it from the ECM. Not to mention the fact that it is isolated from the MAF if you look at it hard enough..
Just my rant- a repeat from the one on PT.net

·
Banned
237 Posts
I was under the impression it just reacted faster to air temps. Meaning, it wouldn't be as prone to heating up and giving off false readings. With that being said, the stock mounting location picks up heat off the exhaust manifolds which is a false reading and causing heat soak.

Whether you use an HSRK sensor or a factory style sensor, relocating it to a sealed area or as close to ambient air as as possible will yield productive results. If it doesn't I would be shocked. I just find it hard to spend $100+ on a sensor. I know they have the "service stabilitrak" module for sale as well. You can bypass that error by tuning it out with HPtuners, right? So, that would be a waste now that the tuning table was found.

I'd rather have my engine think it's heat soaked and prevent detonating than to actually detonate. I really don't want to replace my engine because I squeezed an extra few tenths out of it.

Not worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was under the impression it just reacted faster to air temps. Meaning, it wouldn't be as prone to heating up and giving off false readings. With that being said, the stock mounting location picks up heat off the exhaust manifolds which is a false reading and causing heat soak.

Whether you use an HSRK sensor or a factory style sensor, relocating it to a sealed area or as close to ambient air as as possible will yield productive results. If it doesn't I would be shocked. I just find it hard to spend $100+ on a sensor. I know they have the "service stabilitrak" module for sale as well. You can bypass that error by tuning it out with HPtuners, right? So, that would be a waste now that the tuning table was found.

I'd rather have my engine think it's heat soaked and prevent detonating than to actually detonate. I really don't want to replace my engine because I squeezed an extra few tenths out of it.

Not worth it to me.
Well I was shocked too. I was positive the HRSK had to work. The principle is good (if the components are good).

If you have real player on your machine, click this.

It does not react faster. Not to mention its not accurate. Well if you consider 6% error inaccurate.

S

·
0 Posts
To me it makes no sense trying to cheat. Just get accurate air temps and tune with what you have !
This is funny, I posted a thread a bit back and stated this........that the HRSK's just try tricking the puters in to thinking there is cooler air running into the CAI's. Had a ton of arguments that you can't fool the puters. Hhhmmm, funny how things work out:bum: By the way, not pointing any fingers either.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the theory makes sense. I was surprised to see the 6 degree error when things stabilized going down the road. Vector says they are going to send me a new sensor. Will see if it changes things.

I cant speak for any other sensor, other intakes or other trucks. But I think my analog logging has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that "this" HSRK on this truck does not work.

I really was surprised. I have argued for it :( Maybe with you ! haha

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
You know honestly I've never been a big fan of them. That is until I had a fellow come by with a 06 SS that i intsalled a fan kit and tune for. He had one installed in the neck of the filter. Anyway, I noticed whiletuning this truck the IAT stayed exactly the same as the dynoject weather station. It also did not climb 20-30 degrees like they typically do when you shut the vehicle off and let it sit.

I still very much reccoomend not installing them out of the intake plumbing and it is not a BAD thing to see temps climb with the engine off because infact the intake plumbing is getting heat soaked and transfering that heat into the intake stream..

I am going to try one of my own in a GTO that we have that runs 7.58 with no parts touching oil. (I make them for supercharged vettes where the MAF is before the blower and you need to relocate the IAT sensor after the blower) I just use a off the shelf sensor.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
So...my less eleborate testing was not exactly wasted.

Good job RRMCCABE!

I'm sure we will both be banned from the 'other' site now, you for doing this and me for reading it. :rofl:

BTW: I have adopted the method Superchips flash tuning handles IAT's, they just reduced the timing effect and moved them up to a higher temp before acting. Seems to work good and leaves the stock wiring intact in case I have to have a quick unexpected dealer visit some day.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well I was shocked too. I was positive the HRSK had to work. The principle is good (if the components are good).

If you have real player on your machine, click this.

It does not react faster. Not to mention its not accurate. Well if you consider 6% error inaccurate.

Does the sensor only react slowly in one direction and fast in another direction?

For Instance - reacts fast from hot to cold and reacts slow from cold to hot.

Because if it is designed to react fast both directions than it seems as if it would heat up really fast as well as cool off really fast. I suppose it is where you place it too that will make to biggest difference.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts