Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just ready the Tranny Survival and my question is do I just always use 3 and once I reach my desired cruising speed on the free way, shift up to D(I love to hammer down on the on ramps to reach freeway speeds:biggrin2:)? Once I'm back on the streets, down shift to 3? I worry i've been doing this all wrong for 80k miles

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
I normally drive in D unless I feel like hammering on it. If your going to floor it on the on ramp to the highway leave it in 3 then up shift when you reach your desired speed. The 4>2 downshift is what wrecks these tranny's. If your cruising around town below 50 you can use 3 for sure, you will notice it's a little more peppy because your rpm is a little higher.

Reactions: dfwwiz

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it IS ok to just leave it at 3. My in town driving speeds vary, tops i would say is 60 and I usually hit almost 100 when i enter the freeway after hammering on it, is that still ok to be on 3, then when I'm all done just upshift to D?

·
Mattmikemark
2006 Trailblazer SS
5,366 Posts
100 mph at every on-ramp? You sound worse than Jay.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speed is like crack, ever since selling my honda cbr 1000rr respol edition, I've been chasing that sensation. My top speed on her was 183mph!!!

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
2,764 Posts
There's no need to drive around in "3" all the time unless you plan on launching it or downshifting it hard. You might end up doing more harm than good.

Reactions: TBSS-DJ and dfwwiz

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
16 Posts
You can leave it in D all the time - just plan on a new tranny soon :). I get mine back from RPM today - as Jeremy told me - just leave it in 3 unless you're on the interstate cruising. The 4 to 2 downshift is the killer on these transmissions.

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
2,764 Posts
You can leave it in D all the time - just plan on a new tranny soon :). I get mine back from RPM today - as Jeremy told me - just leave it in 3 unless you're on the interstate cruising. The 4 to 2 downshift is the killer on these transmissions.
Leaving it in "D" is not the cause of the failures....the 4-2 drop is the biggest killer. Per RPM's own instructions, 3 is for "spirited" driving. But if you want to drive to the mall and the bank in 3 for no reason whatsoever then go for it.

·
Mattmikemark
2006 Trailblazer SS
5,366 Posts
I don't see the big deal. Avoid the 4->2.... Whether you have an ounce of self control and can just let it downshift to 3rd, then 2nd, or keep it in 3rd and just nail it... Avoid the 4->2...

Reactions: KA47

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
198 Posts
I've been doing in town driving for the past 40k miles in 3 or if I plan on beating on it on the interstate. I'm still on the stock trans with over 100k.

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,386 Posts
The DOWNSHIFT is the killer on sprag holding when in D and going WOT. You simply need to down shift to 3 manually using the shifter when you are up over 45 mph and know you are going to floor it. Driving around easy in D is fine just do not do WOT from D.

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
2,764 Posts
I've been doing in town driving for the past 40k miles in 3 or if I plan on beating on it on the interstate. I'm still on the stock trans with over 100k.
I drove in "D" until 80k and only upgraded because I was adding power. The stock trans was perfect til the day it was removed. If driving in "3" all the time helps you sleep better then go for it. You should probably run 9 quarts of oil too.

·
Registered
06 TrailblazerSS AWD
867 Posts
I've only raced out of the whole in 3rd here and there so pretty much always in Drive with 89k and I run her like a raped date lol

Reactions: KA47

·
NOT SLOW, NOT FAST
TrailblazerSS
1,982 Posts
Use 3 in wot but also under heavy throttle as well. Your truck can down shift with less than wot. Also, heavy or wot can smoke your OD clutches if trans shifts from 3 to D under heavy throttle. Best chances for a longer trans life is to play in 3 and never in D :2cents:

Reactions: Seanss06

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS AWD
55 Posts
D or 3rd

Leave it in D all the time, you can race it in D from a dead stop, if your already moving and there is any chance it might be in 4th gear you must pull it down to
3rd before flooring it. Like everyone else said the 4th to 2nd is what can break the drum.

I've had 2 TBSS's both with RPM transmissions with 0 problems.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
Leave it in D all the time, you can race it in D from a dead stop, if your already moving and there is any chance it might be in 4th gear you must pull it down to
3rd before flooring it. Like everyone else said the 4th to 2nd is what can break the drum.

I've had 2 TBSS's both with RPM transmissions with 0 problems.
I have to disagree with you about racing it in D. Chuck from FLT and Jeremy from RPM said when racing put it in 3.

Reactions: TBSS-DJ

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS AWD
55 Posts
They are going to tell you that so there is no chance you drop from D to 2nd and break the trans.

Think about it, your sitting at a light or on the line at the dragstrip, you are in 1st gear, you floor it, it shifts to 2nd and then to 3rd, you will never make it to 4th at the track and shouldn't be going that fast on the street so there is no drop down to break the trans.

From a roll yes it must be in 3rd.

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,386 Posts
Well said Todd. That is it exactly. IF the trans from a dig has never hit 4th and OD yet, then its not going to jump down, it can only shift up. It HAS to be up in 4th and then dropping to 2nd for it to be bad when you hit WOT.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts