Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
Are these a problem part? Something we have to change soon?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,679 Posts
The awds have issues with the Intermediate shaft spline failures. This is a replacement carrier housing when your stock one fails. youll also need a new intermediate shaft if it fails. very common problem with the awds

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
Ah, okay! Cool! Good info!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
These were listed for $180 until the link showed up on here and they went to $220 lol

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 3SS
893 Posts
Just checked and now they are $225

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
The word disconect baffles me. Thats not for the selectabl 2/4wd one is it? If it is, it will lock and unlock, unlike the AWD ones. Didnt nktice anything stating AWD either. Just dont want you to get wrong one :)

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
The word disconect baffles me. Thats not for the selectabl 2/4wd one is it? If it is, it will lock and unlock, unlike the AWD ones. Didnt nktice anything stating AWD either. Just dont want you to get wrong one :)
That's what they are called for some reason even though the 4wd and AWD ones are different. I'm in the process of rebuilding mine now.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How funny price wars on front carrier bearings from the above vendors on ebay. Personally I like the last one as its made in Iowa and a little more thought in improving it other than lube change, plus they have sold close to 70 of them.. YMMV....:2cents:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
which one do you guys think is the best one to get?:dunno:
To me I would choose the 2nd one with upgraded internals and bearings. Anything that reduces wear and improves longevity. Others may disagree, as well as getting a billet intermediate shaft. I live in Ia and AWD is a necessity IMO for myself. It was a surprise to see both of these on eBay as they are aging but numerous vehicles. I don't think you can go wrong with either as the price point is far below for say what a dorman is. Mine I replaced recently is from a new parts kit and have no issues so far... :2cents:

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,679 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
I doubt they re cast the housing to have better retainers for the trust washers. That's the main issue I see in the design that lets it start to let loose.

I'm modifying mine rather than buy another. But it isn't completely trashed yet.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 3SS
893 Posts
. This is the doorknob unit 600-116 after about 3500 miles. Got it apart trying to find the source of the roaring in the left front. New wheel bearing but looks like it was hot but maybe factory
working my way back towards diff, this is CV shaft
intermediate shaft looks fine hanging out out oil pan but going to drain diff and look at fluid.

Something is trying to eat itself.

Yeah, I sent it alright.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
Not much forkin grease in there but doesn't look trashed either.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 3SS
893 Posts
it has some play in the housing where the thrust washer has the two dimples on one side and the pins on the other side are 1/4 gone from it trying to twist on it. Debating getting a new one or just the grease to redo this one. Probably get a new one and use this as an emergency backup once I repack it.

What grease has everyone moved up to?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
It's eating the nubs off after only 3500 miles? They all do that but i'd expect it to last longer. I have almost 3500 miles on my modded housing where the nubs are replaced with set screws.

Thanks for taking the time to open up the Dorman unit and show it.

Also, I'm running Tom-Pac TP-2557 100% synthetic bearing gel. Housing cavity filled half way on both sides before I bolted it together.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 3SS
893 Posts
I have ordered the updated DTA housing and a shaft and I will research where I can order that grease from

Yeah, I sent it alright.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts