Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I know there are tons of post regarding ticking and knocking and trust me, I have read almost all of them multiple times.

About 2 months ago at 105,000 miles my 07 SS started making a ticking noise around 1800rpm while accelerating and continues up until it is muffled by the exhaust or engine sound. It was very noticeable during shifts and if I let off the gas as the engine spun down. It can also be heard when parked if the rpms are held around 2000. It only starts ticking once the vehicle is warmed up.

First thing I did was have it inspected by a mechanic, they said 100% lifter tick, I had another mechanic look at it and they also came to the conclusion of a lifter tick. Okay, easy enough. I had never taken down an engine before but there was so much information on the internet and I understand how everything works. I ordered new lifters, guides and all the gaskets and bolts needed to get down to the lifters, replace them and put it all back together.

It took me about 2 weeks of messing with it in the garage and she was back up and running. Took it for a quick drive and seemed perfect, success! Nope, later that day I took it out for a longer drive and as it warmed up the exact same ticking was back.

I just took it into the Chevy dealership here and they also told me lifter tick, I explained to them that I just replaced everything and they took another couple days looking and found nothing other than the sound is coming from the passenger side. They also said it goes away when they pull the pushrods out from the passenger side but I'm not really sure how that works. I told them not to go any further as I can't really afford or want to put money into a deeper rebuild.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could cause a ticking sound other than a bad lifter? I don't really know how they ran the motor without a pushrod installed but they stated "Pulling the pushrods from the passenger side caused the ticking to go away" Thanks so much for any help, I am really stumped right now.

-Paul

·
Premium Member
08 trailblazer SS
3,614 Posts
No clue what they mean about pulling the pushrod, never heard of that before. I will say mine started ticking/tapping when warm. Shut it down early, cut oil filter open and found some flakes of my number 4 rod bearing. First thing I would do is cut open your oil filter and see if you see any metal. If you do you already know you need a rebuild.

Reactions: KA47

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
377 Posts
id say check the filter as well... i swear i have the noisiest LS2 ever made. lol it ticks, rattles and knocks no matter what lol. all my lifters are new, all my exhaust manifold bolts are new, my oil filter is always clean. I try to just deal with it but a short block will be in my future eventually just to maintain my sanity. It drives me insane but i know mechanically its all "okay"

Good luck to you whatever it is

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Check pushrod length. Maybe you need a tad longer pushrod from stacked clearances form things like rocker wear, cam lobe base circle off a tad, lifters a few thousands short, etc. They do mak adj rocker arms and you could for sure eliminate any tick due to clearance that way.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know a lot of people like a conclusion to a post like this so just thought I'd come back and let everyone know it was actually a bearing going out. Had the whole motor rebuilt and ran perfectly after the rebuild.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,569 Posts
That sucks to hear but glad that you got it back up and running an can enjoy the truck again.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
I know a lot of people like a conclusion to a post like this so just thought I'd come back and let everyone know it was actually a bearing going out. Had the whole motor rebuilt and ran perfectly after the rebuild.

Since you are in Alaska I am assuming you are probably AWD. If you did not do it already you should consider doing the oil pickup mod to the truck or you are going to have this issue again. At minimum, I would make sure I am running an extra quart of oil in it at all times.

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
Where at in Ak are you? What oil are you running? Annnnnd welcome to the group.

You'll have to dig, but I had ticking years ago and it turned in to my forged 365 I have now. A cam bearing was wiped out and the rocker pedastal had broke.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts