Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Saab 9-7x Aero
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an intake, and I thought I read on here somewhere that you need a tune with an intake.

The intake I got is a 4" but has adapters to use the stock MAF tube.

Since it uses the stock MAF tube/location, should I be okay for a while with no tune?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,569 Posts
Yeah you can drive it just fine since you're staying with the stock Maf. I did the same thing for a couple of weeks before I got my tune. but you really need to get it tuned to get the most out of it. Think about it this way. you're spending money adding a part to increase performance but without a tune that performance isn't going to be there and could potentially decrease power so what's the point? And using a stock maf with a 4" tube won't net you anything over a 3.5" intake since the stock maf is 3.5". But take my advice with a grain of salt because I'm married and I haven't actually been right for the better part of a decade.

·
Registered
Saab 9-7x Aero
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha thanks. Definitely going to get it tuned in the next couple months and replace the MAF when I do. Just wanted to see if I'm good to go in the mean time.

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,538 Posts
Just be careful because you are probably running lean with the increased airflow. I would stay away from full throttle.

·
Registered
Saab 9-7x Aero
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hmm. If there is any possibility of damage or causing problems, then I guess it will have to wait till I'm tuned. I was hoping the stock MAF and housing would keep it close enough to avoid any problems.

Safe to say I should wait?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
5 Posts
better safe than sorry. it probably wont run that lean to hurt anything but why risk it. plus if you are going to get an intake might as well as go the biggest and tune it to get the most out of it you can.

·
Registered
Saab 9-7x Aero
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly, I was just looking for a little more rumble and some aesthetic improvement in the engine bay for the time being. I figured a bigger MAF housing and tune could happen down the line.

If it wouldn't hurt anything, I would like to install it so it isn't just sitting there for a few months; but, if there is any posibility of causing an issue, then I guess it will have to wait.

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,538 Posts
Actually, you won't get any more exhaust rumble but you will get a lot more intake noise. The stock intake is baffled for noise reduction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts