Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my trailblazer back in September with 18k on it. It shifts HARD. I previously had a 98 TA with a tune and honestly they shift almost the same. I have read that an untouched trailblazer should have a smooth shift, is this true? This may be a silly question but is there any way to tell if it has a tune? I bought it from a dealer that didn't know jack about it. Or is there other things I should look for? Any input would be awesome!

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
456 Posts
Is there any modifications to the vehicle that you can see? like cold air intake, Electric fans anything? Also if it is still shifting hard this makes me believe that there is NOT a tune. most of the time when you tune your vehicle it helps the hard shift. depending on your tune. When you say it shifts hard are you talking about 1st to 2nd? Mine does this also and i have read alot of people on here have had this same exact issue bone stock.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None at all. And yes 1st to 2nd. when its really cold out it shifts so hard that my 2 year old ask's if we hit something. Which is another thing my trans am did. but if not i guess its time to get a tune then since it doesn't have one!ha

·
Registered
07 Silver TBSS
922 Posts
If you just got it, take it back to the dealer and tell them your issues...maybe they'll flash it for you w/ the most recent update.

Or, go ahead and get a CAI and tune......

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you just got it, take it back to the dealer and tell them your issues...maybe they'll flash it for you w/ the most recent update.

Or, go ahead and get a CAI and tune......

I would but they are 715 miles away. Real small dealership anyways and the guy knew NOTHING about it. I think im just going to shop around for a mail tune because people around here can't tune very well.

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
456 Posts
Yea i believe it is time for a tune. The only way i found to stop the hard shift is to either let of the gas when it is about to shift so it dosent kick into 2nd so hard or if you give it more gas through 1st it seems to shift better. its only when you are in low RPMS that it does it. like between 1500,2000 weird but thats the way Gm geared this monster. Im going to Livernois motorsports for mine to get it dynoed and tuned but if your not trying to spend that much you can go through Alvin at pcmforless.com i have been on his site and they have a option of what kind of shift you want with you truck. I have never went through them but i hear nothing but good things hope this helped.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea i believe it is time for a tune. The only way i found to stop the hard shift is to either let of the gas when it is about to shift so it dosent kick into 2nd so hard or if you give it more gas through 1st it seems to shift better. its only when you are in low RPMS that it does it. like between 1500,2000 weird but thats the way Gm geared this monster. Im going to Livernois motorsports for mine to get it dynoed and tuned but if your not trying to spend that much you can go through Alvin at pcmforless.com i have been on his site and they have a option of what kind of shift you want with you truck. I have never went through them but i hear nothing but good things hope this helped.
Awesome, Thanks! That helped a lot!

·
Premium Member
'07 awd
2,421 Posts
I'd bet you have a tune with little to no torque management. Mine shifts the way your explaining when I have the zero torque management tcm in. My std "tuned" tcm drives fine with no hard shifts...most of the time.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I mean I'm up in the air about it. I have heard different things from all kinds of people. Like I said I had a 98 WS6 with a stage 2 trans and a tune that shifted very similar. I don't know how good a comparison that can be though because they are 2 very different vehicles. If it doesn't have a tune though i'm very impressed with the burn outs it can do. haha.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
If it's doing nice burnouts it's probably got a tune, converter and hopefully for you a built trans. A shift kit could explain the harder shifts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it's doing nice burnouts it's probably got a tune, converter and hopefully for you a built trans. A shift kit could explain the harder shifts
Well let me put it this way. I had my car JAM PACKED full of my friends and it did an AWESOME burnout. It did a better one than my Trans Am with no people in it. hahah. No converter though. And I hope it has a tuff trans, but if not my boyfriend builds them for a living so i'll be okay.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Most do shitty burnouts when stock (atleast mine did lol). I don't think your truck is stock

·
Registered
07 Silver TBSS
922 Posts
Is it still under factory warranty (3/36k) and is there a dealership near you? If so, I would have them look at it first. If a flash helps then you're out $0.

If it's out of warranty, then a tune is the best alternative. You'll be happy with it when you get it back (or get the ECM/TCM back, if you do mail order). There is a shit-ton of good info on tuning on this forum, so be sure to do your research first!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!!!

:biggrin2:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it still under factory warranty (3/36k) and is there a dealership near you? If so, I would have them look at it first. If a flash helps then you're out $0.

If it's out of warranty, then a tune is the best alternative. You'll be happy with it when you get it back (or get the ECM/TCM back, if you do mail order). There is a shit-ton of good info on tuning on this forum, so be sure to do your research first!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!!!

:biggrin2:
Yeah it's out of the warranty:( I have been looking around on here. This place is great for info!

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
Best thing I did was tune and intake! wakes these trucks up big time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts