Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSS 2WD
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys so i have the mods in my sig. and the time has come that i want a cam ive been looking at different ones for about 6 months and ive narrowed it down to Attitude cam and the VRX3 but i have a few questions.. Which cam is better for a DD and prehaps a long drive this new years say 9 hr trip?(if you recommend a different cam feel free i just want a big power gain but pretty good drivablity also) also is putting a Cam in at 67k miles a bad idea, tranny was replaced at 60k so it should be good for a bit will be purchasing a cooler as well... but dont have the money for a built one ATM. So with that being said is there any Pros or Cons with the different cams or is a Cam a big idea?
Thanks in advance,
Teddy

·
Banned
3,510 Posts
I dont see a stall in your mods so I would avoid a larger cam. You could get away with a stealth cam, or a very mild cam with the stock stall but I would shy away from both of those for now. They are both great cams for what they are designed to do but working with a stock stall is not on their list.

Just the nature of the beast with cams that torque down low is normally reduced with power up top being gained. There does come a point with smaller camshafts that torque is gained but the point of the stall is to get you into the meat of your powerband quicker.

If you want to stick with the stock stall we could get you a custom grind going. Otherwise I would look into the stealth or rob style cams if you want to stick with PCM cams.

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSS 2WD
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm i see.. so what if i get the cam then a stall and maybe install it all at once? main question is drivability with those cam? and whats my expected gains with a custom grind? id like ppl to hear the cam as well HAH

·
Banned
3,510 Posts
You would see very large gains by doing a cam with a stall at the same time.

As far as drivability with the two cams you listed the vrx3 will idle a little smoother and run less risk of having any surging or bucking. Once the truck is rolling ( above 10-15mph) you wont notice a difference with basically any camshaft. If a choppy idle is what your looking for than the attitude cam would suit your sound requirements.

Custom cams dont always gain more than off the shelf cams but they can give you exactly what your looking for within reason. So if you like the sound of cam X with the power of cam Y and want the drivability of cam Z then you have a custom cam grinder combine the qualities of them into what your looking for.

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSS 2WD
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well can u pm me with some details as to what we can do? i like the power gains of both but this is also my only vehicle so DD is a must, custom grinds sounds good tho lets talk

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS
1,712 Posts
You really should save up for a built trans and stall first.

The farthest trip I have taken with the Attitude is 5hrs. I do take frequent (1 a month) 4hr trips though.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
We have done Attitude builds in the shop where the guy did not want to do a torque converter just at the moment. We do not recommend it as you are really not going to see the gains that the cam has to offer but it is OK. Driveablity is still pretty decent with a good tune and it is excellent with a good torque converter.

If your dead set on staying with the stock torque converter I would recommend our rob style cam. It is a very good performer and really runs right with a attitude cam but gets better mileage and will play along nicer with the stock torque converter. In fact that was one of the requirement set when we designed that cam. A fellow drove down from Ontario to have us do a cam. He was in love with the cam sound and was ready for more power but not interested in doing a torque converter at the time.

Remember, don't get too caught up in the "custom" hype. All of our cams are custom meaning you can buy them anywhere else and they where designed from real experience with real trucks (mine :) ) I've personally ran attitude, stealth HL and LL, Rob, L92, along with another 10 or so cams as we tested along the way.

·
Banned
3,510 Posts
Looks like everything that was pointed about above was confirmed by the designer himself. So there is confirmation in everything what was said about the cams in question.

When it comes down to it you the owner are in complete control of what you want and what your looking for. You should do research in the aspect of figuring out the direction you would like to go. From there begin asking questions before you make your decision. Its always best to step back for a minute and analyze the decision your making so that in the end you are the most satisfied.

If a camshaft that a company offers already as part of their lineup works for you then order it. If something suited around your input and goals is desired then go that way. Any camshaft marketed custom or off the shelf for these trucks comes with testing and results and would not be offered if they did not work. There is no denying that an off the shelf cam wont get you exactly where you want to be depending on your goals. Afterall they were designed with customers wants and needs in mind. Also, there is nothing restricting you to going with the same thing that multiple other people also have in their trucks. If this werent a custom world with options then we would all have the same color truck with only stock rims and only stock brakes and only run the same cookie cutter combo's to get certain goals. Remember just because it is not on the internet does not mean its not possible. This site along with every other forum is only a small sliver of what is actually going on in the automotive world and high performance world.

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSS 2WD
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alvin how many supporting mods are needed for the rob style I'm kinda liking it after reading about it..

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
You are right there with it. Typically after people do headers I say the next thing is a cam. I would suggest a torque converter if anything just to compliment the cam. After that you might want to look at doing a ported LS2portworks intake, and a Fenderwell intake.

Its a great cam, It was my one of my favorites when I had stock heads and it was a cam only truck. it drove great, got cool attention, yet still got good mileage.

·
Registered
07TrailblazerSS 2WD
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What can I expect to gain hp wise w this badboy on top of mods in my sig?

·
Premium Member
'06 AWD
5,094 Posts
All this cam talk is giving me wood.....

Ma'am have you ever seen a cat skeleton in a tree? Exactly it will come down.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
390 Posts
Alvin I do not want to thread jack but, how much more do you think you gain from AI ported heads with your Rob cam. I think I have seen where you have used AI before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts