Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally purchased a trans cooler but need some inspiration on where to install it. I've posted in a couple of other forums but haven't seen anything I like yet. Any pics or install videos would be helpful! I've thought about upgrading to the braided lines but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I also purchased a thermal bypass so if you have any tips on that it would be much appreciated.

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
399 Posts
First off, congrats on getting the best heat exchanger possible for your trans! The only place you can put it and still have your stock or aftermarket fans help to cool it while not moving is going to be in front of your condenser if you have ac, or right in front of radiator if you have ac delete.. Most important part of trans coolers that I see too many people get wrong is the orientation of the inlet/outlet side. Both inlet and outlet are on same side and MUST be pointing up (inlet/outlet on top side) so the entire cooler is filling with fluid. Installing these with the ports pointing down will barely allow the cooler to fill up with fluid at all... see it all the time and just shake my head. Vertical mounting/ports out either side is also a viable option as long as inlet hose is on bottom and outlet hose is on top.. But, this cooler is way too long to be mounted vertically in almost every application anyway.
Getting the thermal bypass is good too.. it can go inline anywhere along the 2 lines from trans to cooler.. the closer to trans is the quicker it will get up to operating temp... that part will really depend on your ability of creative bracketing/mounting to pick the best spot there.
Then there is the never-ending debate of going stand-alone trucool or using trucool in series with factory rad cooler. Most general consensus is that if you live in the far northern states that its best practice to use it in series with factory rad cooler, but otherwise its best to go stand-alone w/ thermal bypass. I wholeheartedly concur with this consensus but only as it would apply to AC delete vehicles.
For vehicles with AC and factory rad and fans, 160 degree thermostat is a must and I would install trucool in series because while vehicle isn't moving the factory fan has a rough time just keeping the radiator and ac condenser cool, let alone having another trans cooler in front of that. In this set-up you will need all the surface area of trucool and fac trans rad cooler to compensate for lack of adequate idle airflow. Now conversely if your AC equipped vehicles has an all-aluminum aftermarket rad with high-quality electric fans then going standalone trucool is your better option and still use a 160 stat.

Reactions: Philip_SS

·
Registered
23 Posts
First off, congrats on getting the best heat exchanger possible for your trans! The only place you can put it and still have your stock or aftermarket fans help to cool it while not moving is going to be in front of your condenser if you have ac, or right in front of radiator if you have ac delete.. Most important part of trans coolers that I see too many people get wrong is the orientation of the inlet/outlet side. Both inlet and outlet are on same side and MUST be pointing up (inlet/outlet on top side) so the entire cooler is filling with fluid. Installing these with the ports pointing down will barely allow the cooler to fill up with fluid at all... see it all the time and just shake my head. Vertical mounting/ports out either side is also a viable option as long as inlet hose is on bottom and outlet hose is on top.. But, this cooler is way too long to be mounted vertically in almost every application anyway.
Getting the thermal bypass is good too.. it can go inline anywhere along the 2 lines from trans to cooler.. the closer to trans is the quicker it will get up to operating temp... that part will really depend on your ability of creative bracketing/mounting to pick the best spot there.
Then there is the never-ending debate of going stand-alone trucool or using trucool in series with factory rad cooler. Most general consensus is that if you live in the far northern states that its best practice to use it in series with factory rad cooler, but otherwise its best to go stand-alone w/ thermal bypass. I wholeheartedly concur with this consensus but only as it would apply to AC delete vehicles.
For vehicles with AC and factory rad and fans, 160 degree thermostat is a must and I would install trucool in series because while vehicle isn't moving the factory fan has a rough time just keeping the radiator and ac condenser cool, let alone having another trans cooler in front of that. In this set-up you will need all the surface area of trucool and fac trans rad cooler to compensate for lack of adequate idle airflow. Now conversely if your AC equipped vehicles has an all-aluminum aftermarket rad with high-quality electric fans then going standalone trucool is your better option and still use a 160 stat.
After reading your post...have a few questions.
My application is 2009 AWD with TVS1900, PCMOFNC efans, FSR Radiator, LS1 water pump mod, 160 T-stat and RPM Level 6 tranny w/2800 stall.
This is my.DD and run the AC here in NC often.

I'm clear on using 'brake duct' plumbing kit sold by PCMOFNC with thermal bypass.

1. I plan to get Tru-cool kit LPD-4739.
Any reviews or experience to share with the same or similar setup?

2. Where is the best or tried and true place to mount the cooler???

3. Recommended trusted sites to purchase Tru-cool LPD-4739 kit from?

Thanks,
Pete

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
399 Posts
After reading your post...have a few questions.
My application is 2009 AWD with TVS1900, PCMOFNC efans, FSR Radiator, LS1 water pump mod, 160 T-stat and RPM Level 6 tranny w/2800 stall.
This is my.DD and run the AC here in NC often.

I'm clear on using 'brake duct' plumbing kit sold by PCMOFNC with thermal bypass.

1. I plan to get Tru-cool kit LPD-4739.
Any reviews or experience to share with the same or similar setup?

2. Where is the best or tried and true place to mount the cooler???

3. Recommended trusted sites to purchase Tru-cool LPD-4739 kit from?

Thanks,
Pete
Not much else to say on the trucool 40K, for the money, size, weight and performance it's the best trans heat exchanger. My 09 set-up is w/ ac, x2-13" spal fans, 160 stat, all-aluminum crossflow radiator w/o built-in trans cooler, factory ac condenser in front of it, and in front of condenser the bottom of trans cooler sits flush with bottom of condenser, thermal bypass is mounted on trans 4" farther forward of the trans fluid outlets. In winter, trans gets up to 130 as engine reaches 160. Cruising trans temps are usually 150. And whether its sitting idle or being raced the trans temp has never been above 167 and that's with a 3600 stall.
07 set-up is almost identical except for no ac and using x2 13" flex-a-lite fans. The trans cooler is in same location except there is no ac condenser so trans cooler is mounted on front of rad. Trans temps have been pretty much the same in all conditions as the 09, but engine itself runs a little cooler in the 07.
The brake duct kit has to be used in conjunction with factory trans cooler and it's better than no additional trans cooling but pales in comparison to the trucool on so many levels.
Because you're in NC (love that state and hope to move there someday) you definitely don't need to worry with tying into factory trans cooler but I would still use a thermal bypass for the 2 months of winter there since its your DD.
Best site to get one? The bay has the lowest prices I've seen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I have a upcoming appointment with PCMOFNC for a number of installs. Btw, are you running the stock MAF or card style?

Last thing left to find is a quad dual rear valance that isn't flimsy fiberglass with double-sided tape.

Thanks again 👍

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
399 Posts
LS7 style card maf on both tbss's, I cant help ya with finding the valence but I will say that it also looks pretty sweet to leave the lower valence off as long as you trim off the valence mounting lip.. that's what I have on rear of both ss's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just trying to make sure I have all needed parts for a good build with my upcoming appointment with PCMOFNC. I will search on youtube.com for TBSS's with rear valance delete to see what that looks like. 👍

Lastly, is there any LS7 brand MAF you would suggest over any other? The price ranges of the different brands doesn't really point to one over the other to me. I see GM even makes one for our trucks as well.

Again...thanks a bunch for all your help 🍻

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
1,087 Posts
Just trying to make sure I have all needed parts for a good build with my upcoming appointment with PCMOFNC. I will search on youtube.com for TBSS's with rear valance delete to see what that looks like.

Lastly, is there any LS7 brand MAF you would suggest over any other? The price ranges of the different brands doesn't really point to one over the other to me. I see GM even makes one for our trucks as well.

Again...thanks a bunch for all your help
PCMofNC will have the LS7 MAF with the proper harness to make it work. That’s where I bought mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: P Smith

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
399 Posts

·
Lighter-than-you
TrailblazerSS
399 Posts