Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
360 Posts
Unless the cables are broken, missing insulation, shorting out or corroded then they will be fine.

It still sounds like a starter to me.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah I'm hoping it's not the starter but I'm sure that's wishful thinking . Just gonna drive it like nothing happened and when it leaves me stranded again I'll do the starter.

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
970 Posts
this exact thing happened to me today. it just clicks once while you try to turn it over, and then clicks again when you let go, right?

Mine's in the shop so Ill post up what they find tomorrow.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
16 Posts
i would say a starter. if it clicks then your ignition switch is sending signal to the relay and then to the starter soleniod. the contacts are probably burntin the soleniod or you have a bad spot on the armature.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts
like I posted over on the other thread, similar thing happens to me...
http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35020

Turn the ignition over... nothing everything goes dead, no lights nothing...

I have the ignition switch out now (still connected), and after I click the teeth around, the car comes back to life, but when I crank it again, everything dies... no dead battery click no starter click...

What's funny is that when I disassembled the ignition switch, I see no burnt contacts, looks newer han new...

Now just waiting on NAPA to get the part in @ 1pm today, went to the stealership, and they only had an open bag part... for $53, NAPA was $31...

Here is my experience changing the ignition switch....

There are four locked positions for the key starting counter-clockwise:
1. ignition off (key out)
2. accessories only (when you click a little)
3. accessories / on (run position, after car is started)
4. crank the starter (spring loaded, must be pushed foward and it will return to position 3. after you let go)...

you have to make sure you did not pull the wires too hard when you removed the ignition switch, as this has happened to a few people, and they've had to tighten the two wires on top of the column...

next you have to make sure that the teeth line up to one of the above positions, AND the key set to the same position...

if you scroll the ignition switch all the way to the right ( I believe ) the teeth have a gap in the teeth (looks like missing teeth) that is position 1, if you go all the way you go all the way to the right, it stops that is position 3., If you force it further to the right, (spring loaded) that is position 4... will never install in this position...

depending on how you installed it (key in or out), is how you want to install it... either positions 1, 2. or 3. is what you want to match up the key position to... Key out position 1 is probably the easiest, as the tumbler is locked, and the teeth should easily line up... I ended up moving the ignition switch just a little between the gap in the teeth 1. and position 2. with the key out of the ignition, that ended up yielding the perfect position for my car, and it was the second adjustment I needed to make to get it perfect...

·
Registered
38 Posts
ok sO I was a victim of this three(haha) I went on an hour and half ride through traffic, stopped for five minutes, went to start the truck and nada. Had a guy swing at the starter and even tried jumping the truck no to avail. So I had the starter replaced. I then went three weeks no problems, when It happened again( after being on the road for about an hour and change). This time when I held it the "start"position a small puff of smoke came from down around the starter. Had three mechanics look at it to just tell its the starter again. went back to original guy who put the starter in and he replaced it free of charge but said not again. Ive started fine for three weeks now and of course I'm concerned about taking a long trip and getting stuck. oh I forgot to mention that I had the guy on the reinstall check the wire to the solenoid and he even tested it to make sure it worked and it was fine.

So my question is if you run it for to long and it gets too hot (The weather, beating on it, etc) will this always happen? Is this something that can be "cooled"? ANy suggestions? Replace ignition switch?

Just throwing it out there.. Appreciate any answers!
Thanks

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
252 Posts
starte

I would say that it the ign switch.I had similar problems no starts on random days,then it would work fine for a few weeks and starter would click sometimes anyway i changed the ign switch and no start issues whatsoever and my old switch looked new with no burnt contacts.hope this helps not for nothing for $30 it worth it to try this before paying for a starter.

·
Registered
38 Posts
$30 bucks?.. Napa? Pep Boys? Advanced? I'd rather try that then the starter a third freakin time..lmao.. man that mechanic said "That Mother F'er" to my SS both times..lol

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
252 Posts
local autoparts store

I went for the standard brand instead of delco.this piece seems stronger when i turn the key i feel the diff.

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
970 Posts
my starter was expensive

470ish plus 4 hours of labor.

I hope the ignition switch works out for you man!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
55 Posts
Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one.

I've had random no starts on my truck over the past few days. Unlock it with fob, turn key on, all lights, radio etc come one. Turn key to start and nothing. Can hear starter click, starter relay too.

Battery (2yrs old), starter (1yr old), and alternator all check out good according to the tester at oreilly. No corrosion on post or cables.

Replaced ign switch and aligned teeth exactly as the old one and still nothing.

Truck starts right up after a jump. What am I over looking?

**EDIT**
Went to start it this morning, and nothing of course. Hooked jumper cables on it and still nothing. Turned key on and off a few times and it eventually started. Could it still be the ign switch?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
87 Posts
Did it click or turn over? If I recall correctly, an ignition switch problem manifests itself with no click at all - no sign of life from the starter.

Hopefully it's something else other than the starter, but in my case the dying starter behaved very much the same way - 1st, several attempts were needed. Then, it needed a boost from a jumper pack or a full charge. Finally, it wouldn't work at all.

I actually thought it was some sort of battery drain killing the battery overnight, since I replaced it (battery.) But ever since replacing the starter, the truck can sit for a week or more and start right up.

I also took my starter to O'Reilly and while it tested as OK, the parts guy said it tested on the lower end of acceptable and was pretty weak. So I replaced it.

Your starter might be testing OK but be on the weak side, though probably not as bad as mine since mine would no longer start the truck at all under any circumstances.

It's a new starter, and if it's gone bad it's bad news for me since I also have an O'Reilly starter (lifetime warranty version.) However - was your starter/solenoid heat shield still in place? This is a pretty flimsy piece and it's a miracle it stays in place, but if it were missing, the starter would probably expire pretty quickly.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
7 Posts
Im having the same issue as Hollywood and the others described here, bought the truck 4 days ago and had no issues the day of the test drive and initial sale. Left the truck with the dealer to get inspected and detailed (had only been traded in 3 days before), when I picked it up and turned the key all the accessories turned on no issued but she just clicked once. The very next turn, started right up.

I made the dealer check everything right there in front of me and battery, alternator, and starter all passed. Drove it for 2 days and no issues, got in this morning and same thing. It does seem like after the couple key dances that when it does crank it does so a lot slower than normal.

After reading this, I think Ill switch out that Ignition and pray that helps

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
25 Posts
My truck has been doing this same thing. Just at random times. I just had to replace the computer and the fuse box. Because when I tried to start. It would just keep turning over after letting of the ignition switch. Dealer thought it was computer. They replaced it and I stopped about 30 min down the road and it done the same thing again. Truck would also just die at random times. Wouldn't start back for hours. So dealer replaced fuse box and now I can the click sometimes. I can tap on fuse box under the hood and it will start. So I'm not sure what is causing this.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts