Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my truck will not start , all I get is a click noise coming from the starter when key is turned.. I'm not sure if it's doing this when the starter gets hot or is it somthing to do with the ignition switch? it just started doing this today any ideas? I'm currently stuck at the track with a none starting truck help!!!

·
NLMotorsports
TrailblazerSS
877 Posts
U sure the battery isn't dying?

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
These trucks are notorious for ignition switches!! If it's a bad starter though, you can turn and hold the key in the "start" position, while someone gives the starter a "whack" with a blunt object! It may start, if it does start, you will know that the starter is kapoot! Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope it's not a dead battery the starter sounds like it wants to go but all it does is click. it almost sounds like what my old s10 did when the starter is over heated. what does a starter go for?

·
Registered
116 Posts
If the solenoid on the starter is just clicking Id first make sure the connection from the battery to the starter is good, tight and clean. Starters draw a lot of amps and if the power isnt there it aint turning over.

If thats not it Id be looking into a new starter.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after alot of turning the key and clicking the truck finally started and got me home. Ill have to jack it up tommorow and check out the situation and report back. Thanks

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
Do we have Crank Pos. sensors?

Old 02 Dodge did the same damn thing... I'd go about every 10 months and have another replaced. Just had to cycle the key multiple times.

But this is prob. another ignition switch issue I suppose.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
nah I didn't even try to hit it.. Went out this morning and it started fine.. Not sure what it could be right now. Is this even a symptom of an ignition switch shitting the bed or is it deffinatly a starter going?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trying to figure out how I can actually check this without shot gunning parts at the truck

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
360 Posts
The problem is that it intermittently does not start. If it was a frequent no start you could try to jump the starter by putting 12v directly to it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok well its started all day today without a problem.. Should i just go ahead and have the starter replaced for a piece of mind? I jacked up the truck and looked under there im AWD with headers looks like a bitch and a half job!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well put in a new ignition switch pretty damn easy to do! Only time will tell if i get stuck somewhere im hoping it fixed the problem. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
Hate to say it but if the solenoid clicks and it don't start, it's either a bad battery, bad starter or bad battery cables. A bad starter will do it almost every time, a bad cable can be intermittant but gets worse quickly. My bet is the battery has a bad internal buss contact plate.

Now, if the clicking was just from relays under the hood in the fuse/relay box, all bets are off and it could just be a bad ignition switch.

One thing is for sure, time will tell.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah was deffinatly clicking from the solenoid but it wasn't your typical dead battery multiple click. It clicked once and I still had full power radio,lights ect.. How can I check if the cables are junk and what causes this to happen?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts