Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roughly, what is the operating temperature of our transmissions? Or does it vary all the time? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,453 Posts
It varies-goes up when driving spirited and in city stop and go and lowers when you go an even speed like 45 mph. Also outside air temp affects how cool it can be but its probably in the 190-200* range in summer. so if you have an external cooler on it you help keep it cooler and it lasts longer. Mine right now is about 150-160 in 70* temps with a cooler. I also have a fan on it I can manually turn on as it gets hotter out.

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
I've seen 176-190 last weekend.

It varies but it seems pretty good at mirroring your ECT.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks. Looking to install a temperature gauge in the dash and when it is installed I just want to keep an eye on the temperature and make sure it sits around normal. I just blew the transmission on Thursday and now after getting it overhauled and beefed up a bit I want to take some precautions. I do have trans cooler as well so I'll just want to make sure the temp sits around 160 or so.

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
There is a such thing as TOO COLD as well. Just like too hot.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,589 Posts
Using the stock cooler it's never going over the ECT by much. Using an aftermarket in line from the output of the radiators cooler will cool it a little more. You only need it for severe duty in high temps, or with a high stall converter.

What ever you do...do not depend on an aftermarket cooler alone, or it will over heat at one point or another.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts
Save the money on a gauge, and get a dashhawk... It displays transmission temp, and can display 100's of other information points, as well as engine codes and do case relearns... and you just plug it into the service port under the stearing wheel...

Okay thanks. Looking to install a temperature gauge in the dash and when it is installed I just want to keep an eye on the temperature and make sure it sits around normal. I just blew the transmission on Thursday and now after getting it overhauled and beefed up a bit I want to take some precautions. I do have trans cooler as well so I'll just want to make sure the temp sits around 160 or so.

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS AWD
4,063 Posts
I Have The PCMForLess Front Mount Trans Cooler For Years Now, My Temps Never Went Over 200* Even When Towing 5000lbs Trailer In Summer Traffic With The A/C On High. I Have A 160* Stat And My Coolant Has Never Gone Over 190* And My Trans Would Be Around 180*. I Just Did My First Trans Flush (All Royal Purple - 16Qts) And Installed A Deeper Trans Pan That Holds Two More Qts. Now My Trans Temp On My 3 Hour Drive To And Three Hour Driver From C.T. Today The Temp Never Went Higher Than 135*. Now Because My Trans Cooler Is Running Cooler My Intercooler Was Running Cooler And I IAT's Were Very Close To Ambient Temp.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
86 Posts
I Have The PCMForLess Front Mount Trans Cooler For Years Now, My Temps Never Went Over 200* Even When Towing 5000lbs Trailer In Summer Traffic With The A/C On High. I Have A 160* Stat And My Coolant Has Never Gone Over 190* And My Trans Would Be Around 180*. I Just Did My First Trans Flush (All Royal Purple - 16Qts) And Installed A Deeper Trans Pan That Holds Two More Qts. Now My Trans Temp On My 3 Hour Drive To And Three Hour Driver From C.T. Today The Temp Never Went Higher Than 135*. Now Because My Trans Cooler Is Running Cooler My Intercooler Was Running Cooler And I IAT's Were Very Close To Ambient Temp.
Not sure if you are still active on this forum but I have some questions about my new RPM Level VI 4L70e transmission. Recently installed with PCMOFNC front mount brake duct cooler and I am seeing temps of 230 at times during normal driving with the aeroforce gauge. Really need some help here before catastrophe happens.

·
Registered
479 Posts
@pete3834 thats bad! Anything over 200 is bad and at 230, something is wrong.

Tell us more about your setup. Higher stall? Using PCMofNC cooler standalone or inline to factory cooler?
Is the cooler new or used?
Why did you swap transmissions? And is this recent all of a sudden or as soon as the trans was installed?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS AWD
1,842 Posts
I would disagree. My transmission always ran around 235 before I put the cooler in. Temps dropped to around 210 average after the cooler. This was with the stock tranny and cam only. I drove like this for about 5 years before I put the tranny cooler in and never had an issue.

Recently I added a pro torque 3500, FLT level 7 trans. I’m now running around 215-220 average.(Stock tranny didn’t die, it still ran fine, just decided to build it when I did the stall)

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
86 Posts
@pete3834 thats bad! Anything over 200 is bad and at 230, something is wrong.

Tell us more about your setup. Higher stall? Using PCMofNC cooler standalone or inline to factory cooler?
Is the cooler new or used?
Why did you swap transmissions? And is this recent all of a sudden or as soon as the trans was installed?
On August 25th, I received my truck back from PCMOFNC from a build. There is a long list of parts installed that I purchased over a period time. I will list the high level parts:
RPM Level VI 4L70e transmission(2800 stall), Magnuson 2300, Kooks headers and Y pipe catted, FSR RADIATOR, CAI, Lingenfelter High Flow Fuel Pump, Fuel Injector Connection 1000CC, Brian Tooley Deluxe Cam kit, PCMOFNC Stealth Cam Kit, PCMOFNC Brake Duct trans cooler kit.

Yes, I am using what should be a new PCMofNC standalone trans cooler. The swap of transmission was just part of the upgrade needed with the assembly of all other upgraded parts listed above.

The trans temps were high 180's after pulling into my garage on August 25th, according to the aeroforce gauge. It has been raising slightly every since.
I haven't even reached the point to change my break-in oil as of yet 😕. Being it was not my daily driver. Just not sure what to do here at this point. Really need some help here guys.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I would disagree. My transmission always ran around 235 before I put the cooler in. Temps dropped to around 210 average after the cooler. This was with the stock tranny and cam only. I drove like this for about 5 years before I put the tranny cooler in and never had an issue.

Recently I added a pro torque 3500, FLT level 7 trans. I’m now running around 215-220 average.(Stock tranny didn’t die, it still ran fine, just decided to build it when I did the stall)
Normal atf can last years. But once you are consistent over 210 you’re losing about half your fluid life and protective properties. Over 230 on a consistent basis, you should be swapping fluid yearly. I guess if it were too hot it would boil out the vent tube. Eg 250+

@pete3834 At the end of the day you may need a larger trans cooler. 30-40k btu. Lots of folks with a trucool 40k see temps around 180 even in the dessert.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
86 Posts
Normal atf can last years. But once you are consistent over 210 you’re losing about half your fluid life and protective properties. Over 230 on a consistent basis, you should be swapping fluid yearly. I guess if it were too hot it would boil out the vent tube. Eg 250+

@pete3834 At the end of the day you may need a larger trans cooler. 30-40k btu. Lots of folks with a trucool 40k see temps around 180 even in the dessert.
I did purchase a Tru-Cool 40k trans cooler as part of this build. I was told during the installation by PCMOFNC that it was a huge cooler and no good place to mount it. But the PCMOFNC brake duct cooler would be fine.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I did purchase a Tru-Cool 40k trans cooler as part of this build. I was told during the installation by PCMOFNC that it was a huge cooler and no good place to mount it. But the PCMOFNC brake duct cooler would be fine.
Most folks put it right behind the grill dead center behind the hood latch mechanism. Otherwise it goes lower near the lower grill in front the power steering cooler

Frankly any cooler 30k or higher is more than sufficient so you can find one that is better shaped. You could even run another 20k on the other brake duct in line to the PCMofNC unit. For about $80 bucks or there are plenty that fit the bill there

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
86 Posts
Most folks put it right behind the grill dead center behind the hood latch mechanism. Otherwise it goes lower near the lower grill in front the power steering cooler

Frankly any cooler 30k or higher is more than sufficient so you can find one that is better shaped. You could even run another 20k on the other brake duct in line to the PCMofNC unit. For about $80 bucks or there are plenty that fit the bill there
Just to make sure I understand you here. You are saying run a second PCMOFNC brake duct cooler system on the passenger side that will work collaboratively with the driver side cooler? Also, should I hold off on driving the truck until I am able to get an additional cooling system in place? I certainly wouldn't want to damage the trans in no way....I mean really....just 400-500 miles on the trans and all these upgrades and the damn truck is running a fever already...smh 😑

1 - 20 of 22 Posts