Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a trailblazer ss with a built trans. I lost all gears , and the pump has failed. Transmission guy says it was caused by the converter. Is this possible, or is he just trying to cover for his work? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know, it seems kind of weird. He says something is wrong with the converter, not installation. The converter is a Yank 3000. Pump failed about 700 miles after rebuilt transmission. Transmission is under warranty, but he says the converter needs replacing. I don't want to pay for a new converter if the pump failed due to his work.

·
Banned
TBSS
11,699 Posts
I don't know, it seems kind of weird. He says something is wrong with the converter, not installation. The converter is a Yank 3000. Pump failed about 700 miles after rebuilt transmission. Transmission is under warranty, but he says the converter needs replacing. I don't want to pay for a new converter if the pump failed due to his work.
I'm going to go with it wasn't the coverters fault. But an istallation error. When putting in a converter you need to check the verter to flywheel spacing. If the space is to much you will end up pulling the verter out of the pump and then you will get what you have here. A failed pump.

There is a nice little spec sheet that comes with the verter from Yank, I advise to read it.

If the converter is not seated fully, can it be reused when the transmission is replaced?
The verter can be sent back to Dave and cut and cleaned.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is having the converter cut and cleaned necessary? I bought this car used recently, and the converter was already in it. (Don't have the spec sheet) How much does Yank usually charge for this?

·
Banned
TBSS
11,699 Posts
Is having the converter cut and cleaned necessary? I bought this car used recently, and the converter was already in it. (Don't have the spec sheet) How much does Yank usually charge for this?
Yes, it is necessary after a trans failure. I don't know the price, maybe $100?.

Without looking at a sheet, the coverter to flywheel spacing should be no more than 3/16. Over the years I have came up with a little trick to know if it needs a spacer or not. I won't say because I won't be held lieable in cause my trick fails you.

·
High and Tight!!!
TrailblazerSS
2,959 Posts
Yessir

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.