Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Firehawk
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out last night i can sand the gold crap off the inside of the stock bowtie to almost clear. Enough to light it up. I tried making a board with 30 LEDs, which works but hot spots (with flat LED heads) and didnt' look good. Plus it raised teh bowtie alot, didn't sit flush.

Also tried using my 8 LEDs I had for the glow-tie thread on them, but still same thing, though a better option than the board.

Just putting some pics of what I've done (PITA to sand it BTW), but anyone have any ideas to light the edges up??? Also I have/had a black overlay on it too...though didn't block the light when directly on top of the LEDs, so would have to paint inside to block 100% of the light..

Ideas anyone???

·
Premium Member
06TrailblazerSS 2wd
1,451 Posts
Hey Del thats kinda how my buddy did mine,he got a piece plexiglass cut it somewhat like the bowtie he placed 8 led's (along the the bottom of the bowtie)and a scanner along the very top of the bowtie.not to mention it stays on all night/day,it has to be adjusted but it turned out ok.i'll take pics tonight

·
Premium Member
Firehawk
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah post some pics!!! I like the stock bowtie look, but curious on how it was lit. I tried 2 options, neither I was happy with. I have one more idea but don't know if it'll work like I hope.

Just looking for options as I'm out of them!

·
Premium Member
06TrailblazerSS 2wd
1,451 Posts
Hey Del how bout using your led board as a spacer behind the bowtie,oh i see your trying to light up the whole bowtie,that led board would look sweet behind my billet bowtie,can you make me one with red led's?

·
Premium Member
Firehawk
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's okay, but looking for something more even in color. I tried the LED board but nada. Stuck out too far. Not much room to work with, kinda sucks. Best option is to some how get a stock-size bowtie made from some plexiglass. I mean stock height, width, thickness. Not an easy task unfortantely.

·
Premium Member
Firehawk
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didnt' take pics. The thread with the glo-tie is the best one so far....

Yeah I REALLY want to cut the grill. But what makes me not do it is the fact that if I don't like whatever I do, I can't go back to stock....outside buying a new grill.

I can can do a bowtie I like that I can light up and look at it before, then I'll cut the area out with no problem. I just gotta make what it should look like before and light it up and be happy before I cut it.

·
Registered
07 TrailblazerSS
727 Posts
True, but you're obviously going to need SOME spacing between the emblem face and the light board so the light can disperse to the edges. What about cutting just the part of the grill where the LEDs would come through, mount the LED board to the backside of the grill and the bowtie to the front? That way your cutting would be much, much less and it would give you the needed spacing. You could also try putting reflective tape on the backside of the plexiglass bowtie to light up the entire bowtie evenly (or at least close to evenly).

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
661 Posts
what did you think of the plastic one i sent...no good? like i said it was just a rough idea of wat it could be. I think if you can get the stock one clear go with it. Better chaped.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
92 Posts
couldn't you use a paint remover to get the gold crap off the inside? Just a thought. Might be easier than sanding. I was experimenting with some EL glow material. You can cut it to any shape and then it glows the bluish/white color. Just an idea.

·
Premium Member
Firehawk
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will send you a PM in a few VadorSS.

Sanding was a SOB, didn't know if the paint remover would screw with the plastic? I have some, but never looked on the can... Any idea?

Got a link to the EL Glow stuff? That may be the PERFECT ticket!!

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,453 Posts
I used laquer thinner to get the gold off. I let it sit for a few minutes and then scraped the gold off. I'm using the LEDS that have wide dispersion to soften the glow. I'll take pics when finished.

·
Premium Member
Firehawk
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sweet, take some pics. I tried LEDs but didn't work. Couldn't get them far enough back to dispurse the light evenly.

What's the ETA on the pics?? Can't wait to see 'em

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.