Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2x 06 TBSS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to install a shift kit. Looking for firmer, faster shifts as well as increased line pressure.

Can anyone recommend/compare the following shift kits (or suggest a different manufacturer):

1) Sonnax Performance Pack HP-4L60E-01 (with boost valve), Sonnax 1-2 super hold servo 77911-03K, Sonnax 4th servo 77767K
-or-
2) Transgo 4L60E-HD2 (does not appear to modify servos or boost valve)
-or-
3) Something else, or mix and match the Sonnax servos with the Transgo shift kit

Can I install servos with the transmission in the vehicle?

Should I use the GM recommended fluid or PATC green raptor blood for better friction/band holding?

Thanks!:ss-smiley:

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS 1SS AWD
17,281 Posts
We probably have more experience with the Sonnax Performance Pack than most. The kit does recalibrate the servos and line pressure plus other upgrades. One of the Sonnax development guys is nearby and there are a lot of happy drivers around here MYSELF included with 2 vehicles with the Sonnax kit, even some that have pulled the Trans-Go out and switched to Sonnax. In our network of contacts we know of about 20 recent installs in later vehicles with excellent results. Compared to the Trans-Go HD2 you will get smoother low speed shifts and less clunking. Under load the pressure and shifts firm up nice without getting crazy. Comments that came in just yesterday from a veteran transmission shop owner in Oregon after test driving a ’04 Denali with supercharger “this is the best working 4L60E I have ever driven” nuff of the hard sell. . . .

Upgrading servos is an option and can be done separate from a kit install. Sonnax is larger than original yet again does not get crazy harsh. Fairbanks has a servo too, but this one eliminates the cushion spring and when combined with a Trans-Go kit can lead to broken driveline parts.

No secret here, I am a Sonnax fan, mainly due to first hand experience and comments from customers.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
I cant speak for Sonnax, but I know when I botched my Transgo HD-2 install in my 02 I6 TrailBlazer (60E), my trans guy said he NEVER uses Transgo because he would get lots of variability in the shift quality. He used all Superior products when he fixed my valve body, 60k+ and still going strong.

Sonnax or Superior, stay away from Transgo.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
33 Posts
i have current on my 65E and no problems,
trans-go repro kit , with 2nd super servo with longest pin ,and leave the shift pressure close to stock.. and this will last a lifetime, and you will see firm , fast sharp shifts , Not banging shift's

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
284 Posts
I had both a Transgo Hd2 and Sonnax billit servos on my silverado. Left line pressure almost stock, let kit and servos do the work. Loved every second of it. 30k miles, never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,035 Posts
sonnex and billet servos here; absolutely perfect. Nice quick, firm (but not teeth rattling) shifts at part throttle, hammer down and its lights out. But I also have a 262 vetter and tune which has a lot to do with the shift extensions, line pressure and so forth. Sonnex kit seemed more through, and looked at correcting issues with the 60E instead of a trans go kit which "seemed" to just be a shift kit and not a shift improver kit. Talk to Greg or Brandon, they had first hand experience with a gent that works for Sonnex who knows his shit..............

·
Registered
2x 06 TBSS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am thinking I will get all Sonnex stuff (shift kit, servos) since it looks like the consensus is it's a more well thought out kit.

I got my HPTuners yesterday and it says my tranny runs at ~220F, so I'm getting an aux cooler too (planning on the pcmforless kit, seems to have good reviews and mounts in the brake cooler duct).

Any ideas on whether I should run stock Dextron ATF or PATC raptor blood ("green glue")?

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS 1SS AWD
17,281 Posts
Sonnax shift improver kit, Servos, and GM dex6 fluid...

i could NOT be any happier with my trans....

I have a Sonnax Representative directly across the street from me, and he has done the transmission in my 99 WS6, and now the trans in my SS. The SS has become more of a fun project for him as he is always trying something different with the truck...and thats fine by me. after working with him and brandon for 2 days during the initial teardown and documentation, and then the demonstration on how and why the sonnax parts work as they do along with their installation. i cant reccomend them enough.

not only do they stand behind their products... but I along with Brandon stand behind them by offering them to our customers. I WILL NOT sell, or reccomend a product that i myself would not put in my own car.

My 91 gta had an HD2 shift kit, and a set of fairbanks servos installed.. and i honestly hated how rough, and harsh the shifts were with that trans.

good luck on your build.

You cant go wrong with the sonnax parts.. that is my own :2cents:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Brandon did mine with sonnax and servos, and it shifts super quick, and no bang. I did get the converter done at same time, and if you are going to do a converter down the road, do it now instead and save some $ by doing all at once. At WOT it is so quick and firm, you will be happy, when baby-ing it, you cant hardly feel it shift its so fast, due to the looser converter, it cushions the shift a bunch. I got the Yank 3600, then changed the shift points under 41% TPS, so it shifts real early in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and locks earlier too, it takes all that flare out of the converter when driving normaly. Im in 3rd and locked by 21mph, and in 4th and locked by 32mph when baby-ing it. There is plenty of torque for this, and it drives great. Best part is above 41% TPS when you want too, it still goes like a raped ape, kinda like having a mild DD and a monster at the same time.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
5,558 Posts
I'd suggest checking out some of the threads out there regarding Sonnax, Transgo and Corvette servo options.

From Link:
http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63306

:iamwithstupid:

If you would like to do some reading for yourself....

2nd Gear "Super Hold" Servo
http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/high-performance-transmission/parts/2012

4th Gear "Super Hold" Dual Servo
http://www.sonnax.com/product-lines/high-performance-transmission/parts/2010

Past threads about them:

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54565

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56440

Hope this helps with your decision.

Also, I am sure the Sonnax is doing something right if one of the best Trans shops on this site is switching to their Sonnax products in their product.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
284 Posts
So.......Sonnax > Corvette Servo? how much is the Sonnax, I can get a Corvette Servo for $50 intalled locally.....

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS 1SS AWD
17,281 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 white 2wd
3,246 Posts
Fast Motrsports has them in their vendor section for sale..

i would do the sonnax servos over the vette servos hands down... the vette servo is only slightly more holding power than the already larger TBSS servo.

sonnax you pick up a considerable amount of capacity.
I am having trouble finding the servos for sale at Fast Motorsports. Can you point me in the right direction, Greg?

·
Premium Member
'08 TBSS 2wd
1,496 Posts
I've used both Sonnax and Transgo in the various 4L60/65/70 transmissions. I have had luck with both. With that said, I usually use the transgo HD2 because I like the extra parts that it includes, but don't install it exactly the way transgo says to. There are a few things that need to be changed, to get the shifts exactly right. I've had mine in my TBSS for over 35k miles, and it shifts very well. No clunks, no tie ups, no bang shifts. Very smooth at light throttle, with a crisp shift from moderate to full throttle. Just had the pan off to change the fluid, and found no buildup in the pan, and only a very light coating on the magnet. Can't ask for better than that.

As for the servos...I personally like the "vette" one. I just don't see the need to spend more money on an aftermarket billet part. It can produce more than firm shifts, and that's all it really needs to do. I actually had to dial my line pressure back to keep the tires from squealing into 2nd.

Also, everything needs to be setup to work together. I'm sure Brandon/Greg's setup works very well. But you can't take something from one persons setup and just apply it to another...no mixing and matching. For example, if you took my transgo setup and installed the billet servos, there's a chance you could break hard parts, and you would definitely get harsh shifts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts