Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several up us on here that are building our transmissions to take the abuse we are giving them.

Some of us are pretty knowledgeable and some of us (like me) don't know anything about automatics.

Anyway, to make things easier for those contemplating a transmission upgrade I have published a page with Greg's help from Phoenix. This gives you a better understanding of what parts they recommend and the prices associated.

Rich

Here is the link

http://www.ss-shootout.com/trailblazer_transmission_upgrades.html

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
There are several up us on here that are building our transmissions to take the abuse we are giving them.

Some of us are pretty knowledgeable and some of us (like me) don't know anything about automatics.

Anyway, to make things easier for those contemplating a transmission upgrade I have published a page with Greg's help from Phoenix. This gives you a better understanding of what parts they recommend and the prices associated.

Rich

Here is the link

Great write-up, you will love the way the transmission performs after eveything is done. If you have HP Tuner then give me a call for some great transmission setting with the build-up.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yea I have HPT. Never thought about about asking the tranny guys for tune stuff. Makes sense. Duh !

EDIT: I misread your post. I thought you said ask Phoenix about HPT settings... Ooops.

I did, and he responded.

I recommend stock line pressure settings or no more than 10 percent additional at wide open throttle. Once you install the valve body and pump components and go with the servos’ you won’t need any additional pressure and increasing pressure beyond stock settings may damage the trans. In fact we are seeing a rash of pump failures due to higher line pressure settings.
Greg

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Rich, I don't want to probe, but do you have a total cost estimate (labor included) of what your trans build will run?

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, the transmission shop said they needed parts that Phoenix didn't supply. They said the rebuild kit with all the seals and stuff is for 2002+. They said there is a more updated 2004+ kit that has more seals, rings, etc. that they needed to use.

The shop also installed a few other upgraded parts that they said weren't included... I will know more tonight when I get the truck back.

Johnny, your trans shop is probably right.

http://www.transtec.com/npa_trans/Trans-NPA0504.pdf

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts

Rich

Here is the link

Pardon my question, but doesn't the TBSS use a 4L70E (M70):dunno:

I guess the 700R4/4L60E rebuild kits / parts are a direct replacement / identical to the 4L70E parts (or are they better?).

I'm looking for a build-up spec also, but one that will keep my factory warranty....

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes its a 4l70E.

I cant imagine anything is going to keep your warranty. Any time you open the tranny up and add parts they are going to have enough ammo to void your warranty.

I am sure you can do a cooler and pan, but besides that I think you are toast.

Yea a lot of the 60 vs 70 parts in the rebuild are the same.

·
Registered
620 Posts
rrmccabe that is a great write up. My 2800 stall from Greg is definitely one of my best mods and if that upgrade list from Joe and Tony were posted earlier I would have done it all at the same time. So far, so good on my trans, I am hoping to make it to March, 2008. Thanks to everybody for making it so easy.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well picked up the truck today. Took them forever. An extra day because they stripped an o2 sensor and had to order one. Turned out it was my wideband sensor !! I dont think it was their fault.

The only other setback is the TCI pan that FLT transmission sold me does not fit. The Y-pipe hit. So back to stock pan. At least for now.

Truck shifts great. No more bang... I am assuming this is the shift kit that Phoenix spec'd. I expected the Sonnax servos to add bang to the shifts but no.

Need to get 150 miles before I go WOT per Yanks instructions. If anything I would say the stall ADDED driveability and not reduced it. Truck feels about 1500 pounds lighter. Cant wait for WOT :)

This race shop added some parts without asking. haha. I am glad they did. They came to about $110. The parts were AC delco new seperator plate, over run sprag, 3-2 down capsule, case saver lug, teflon pump bushing and 1/4 plastic check balls.

Stay tuned for WOT impressions.

·
Premium Member
07 AWD TBSS
4,581 Posts
RPM TRANSMISSIONS have been building tranny's for the TBSS's for the last year or so and have had many very happy customers ! If you want to get a second opinion from a guy that has done tranny's for Lingenfelter and other big name horsepower engineering companiesb give them a call at 1-800-406-1109 ! They are a great group of guy's that have been specializing in the GM trans for years !! Checkout there website ! rpmtransmissions.com
They are by far one of the BEST in the industry according to LPE and many satisfied customers !

·
The Worlds my Playground
4,823 Posts
RPM TRANSMISSIONS have been building tranny's for the TBSS's for the last year or so and have had many very happy customers ! If you want to get a second opinion from a guy that has done tranny's for Lingenfelter and other big name horsepower engineering companiesb give them a call at 1-800-406-1109 ! They are a great group of guy's that have been specializing in the GM trans for years !! Checkout there website ! rpmtransmissions.com
They are by far one of the BEST in the industry according to LPE and many satisfied customers !
I heard that people are happy with their level 5... I wonder why you can get the same thing (practicaly) at phoenix with a converter for about the same price or less..? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I heard that people are happy with their level 5... I wonder why you can get the same thing (practicaly) at phoenix with a converter for about the same price or less..? :dunno:
YES, I did a side by side comparison of all parts in the FLT, RPM and Phoenix kit.

I was ready to write the check for a FLT trans as I think they are one of the best builder around. I know Rodney at RPM is good freinds with Chuck at FLT and buys parts from him.

There is some cash to be saved buying your parts and having it built.

Of course if you live close to RPM you can have the thing installed for the insane price of only $250.

I need to total up my parts and labor for the site.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD
4,748 Posts
You need to get cracking and get the 150 mile requirement taken care of. Just drive around and rack up those miles, grandma-driving is for I6 Trailblazers!:rofl:

·
Registered
2006 White TBSS
476 Posts
Truck shifts great. No more bang... I am assuming this is the shift kit that Phoenix spec'd. I expected the Sonnax servos to add bang to the shifts but no.

Stay tuned for WOT impressions.
Clarification please :)
Why did it 'bang' before?
When I did Servo's on my stock trans it made the shifts nice and 'snappy'.
I'm local to FLT...Too bad they won't R&R for $250.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You need to get cracking and get the 150 mile requirement taken care of. Just drive around and rack up those miles, grandma-driving is for I6 Trailblazers!:rofl:
Yea, actually its about 150 miles to your house. Drive up there and woop up on ya !!

Clarification please :)
Why did it 'bang' before?
When I did Servo's on my stock trans it made the shifts nice and 'snappy'.
I'm local to FLT...Too bad they won't R&R for $250.
Heck every TBSS I have drove the tranny has banged gears and mis shifted. The tune helped a lot but mine always shifted hard between gears at odd throttle positions.

I cant tell you what did what on my truck because I did it all at once, servos, stall, shift kit, parts parts and more parts, etc. But I really suspect the Transgo kit and servos do a lot.

Yea FLT doesnt do installs at all. I asked him :) FLT would be my first choice for an exchange transmission though.

I am impressed with how this thing drives. Takes about 50% less throttle to get it rolling under normal driving. No confused shifts and you really cant tell its been messed with.

·
Registered
2006 White TBSS
476 Posts
I cant tell you what did what on my truck because I did it all at once, servos, stall, shift kit, parts parts and more parts, etc. But I really suspect the Transgo kit and servos do a lot.

Yea FLT doesnt do installs at all. I asked him :) FLT would be my first choice for an exchange transmission though.

I am impressed with how this thing drives. Takes about 50% less throttle to get it rolling under normal driving. No confused shifts and you really cant tell its been messed with.
I rode in ROSSISS at the last GTG and I was shocked at how the stall soaks up the shift (not snappy). He's got the full trans and higher stall converter like you.
Purely from a grin factor I like the servo effect :D
Trans work ain't cheap and it's a horrible "....as long as you're in there upgrade $omething else..." mod.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts