Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so I attempted to tow my Camaro to a local drag strip over the weekend and im pretty sure it was under the towing limit 6600lbs. I have a 2007 tbss awd with the 3 package that's mostley stock. I tried hauling my Camaro that's 3500 lbs on a feather light aluminum trailer(not sure weight of the trailer). after I loaded the car up, I drove about 5 miles and stopped for a once over. the rear of the trailer blazer was bottomed out on the bump stops. the air bags would not pump with the car loaded on the trailer. aside from being loaded up, my air bags function properly. the bags are fairly new(few months) along with the lines and pump. I see people tow heavier cars/suvs and a steel trailer. I didn't have time to really mess with it but I was wondering if the problem is my aftermarket air bags(cant handle the weight) or if theirs some adjustment for towing? im glad I didn't do the rear level lowering mod or the trailer probably would have bottomed out on me. back shocks are norcal belltechs but im sure that has nothing to do with it. any suggestions you guys may have or if its simply just to much weight. im puzzled

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,535 Posts
Is the air pump not turning on? If the sensors above the rear axle are set to correct height, the air pump should constantly trying to fill the airbags until it rises. If there's too much weight and the airbags never raise the rear, I'm sure they would flat and pop. Or there's a built-in pressure relief in the pump. Either way it should be trying to inflate the bags.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when I took the car back off the trailer, it pumped right up and works normal, ride height sensors are correct, air pump functions normally when I didn't have the car on the trailer. only thing I can think of is it being the aftermarket bags(autozone).

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Next time you tow, lower the trailer partially with truck running. The compressor will kick on and start to raise. As it does add more weight gradually and see if it can keep up or not. You can address tongue weight too by moving car further back or putting engine side on rear. Too many people put too much weight on the hitch. IIRC you only need 10 or 20% of the weight your towing on the hitch. Someone will correct me on the percent. But my best guess is your putting too much weght up front. Check the weight with a scale if you can. 10% is 660lbs and 20% of 6600lbs is 1320lbs.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next time you tow, lower the trailer partially with truck running. The compressor will kick on and start to raise. As it does add more weight gradually and see if it can keep up or not. You can address tongue weight too by moving car further back or putting engine side on rear. Too many people put too much weight on the hitch. IIRC you only need 10 or 20% of the weight your towing on the hitch. Someone will correct me on the percent. But my best guess is your putting too much weght up front. Check the weight with a scale if you can. 10% is 660lbs and 20% of 6600lbs is 1320lbs.
I will try that, I don't believe I had the car up that far on the trailer but I will pay more attention to that next time around.

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,768 Posts
Pinched air line(s) when the weight is introduced?

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
500 pounds is max rear tongue weight rating. Keep that in mind

~Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts