Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my TB SS new in 06 with the intention of using it to tow my TA to and from the track. Well, I just towed it for the first time and I have to say I was very impressed with how good it did. In fact, I pulled in to a gas station to fill up and a older guy asked me what motor did I have. Puzzled I responded "In the Trans Am?" and he said "No, what's in the TB, because you were moving pretty good with a big trailer like that." I said it was a TB SS and he said "Wow, very nice." lol.

Some quick notes:
- I towed in D with speeds above 60 mph and 3 below that and start and stop driving.
- I used EFIlive to monitor trans temp.
- Average trans temp was 199-205 F going there (average ambient temp 46 F)
- Average temp on the return trip was 215-220 F (average ambient temp 74 F)
- I averaged 13.2 mpg to the track (average speed 65-70 mph), but much worse on the return trip because I was going faster (75 mph) and got stuck in bad traffic.
- I towed a total of 838 trouble free miles.
- The TB SS has 90k miles on it and no trans cooler.

I used to own a 04 Yukon Denali with the tow package and the TB SS did just as good, if not better in comparison. Once again I was impressed how good it did and effortless it pulled the TA around. Anyway, I thought I would share some notes.

Here's a pic.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add the pic above is with the engine off, so the rear air shocks were off. Even then the trailer was level. The ride was very nice, with no sway or bounce. I also used a standard hitch without a problem.

·
Registered
'06 TrailblazerSS
100 Posts
What is the weight of your TA and trailer?

I want to tow my Camaro, but was nervouse with it still weighing 3100#

·
Test tha rest, not Tha SS
TrailblazerSS
1,113 Posts
I bought my TB SS new in 06 with the intention of using it to tow my TA to and from the track. Well, I just towed it for the first time and I have to say I was very impressed with how good it did. In fact, I pulled in to a gas station to fill up and a older guy asked me what motor did I have. Puzzled I responded "In the Trans Am?" and he said "No, what's in the TB, because you were moving pretty good with a big trailer like that." I said it was a TB SS and he said "Wow, very nice." lol.

Some quick notes:
- I towed in D with speeds above 60 mph and 3 below that and start and stop driving.
- I used EFIlive to monitor trans temp.
- Average trans temp was 199-205 F going there (average ambient temp 46 F)
- Average temp on the return trip was 215-220 F (average ambient temp 74 F)
- I averaged 13.2 mpg to the track (average speed 65-70 mph), but much worse on the return trip because I was going faster (75 mph) and got stuck in bad traffic.
- I towed a total of 838 trouble free miles.
- The TB SS has 90k miles on it and no trans cooler.

I used to own a 04 Yukon Denali with the tow package and the TB SS did just as good, if not better in comparison. Once again I was impressed how good it did and effortless it pulled the TA around. Anyway, I thought I would share some notes.

Here's a pic.
Nice!!! I had a blue TA just like yours.....Man, I used to miss that car, before I got my SS....:cheers1:

·
Mommy's ride isn't a VAN!
Black Trailblazer SS
584 Posts
Nice rides. Good to know she will pull great! :)

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is the weight of your TA and trailer?

I want to tow my Camaro, but was nervouse with it still weighing 3100#
The TA weighs about 3,400-lbs as towed. I borrowed the trailer and it weighs around 1200-1,500-lbs.

·
Registered
06 AWD TrailblazerSS
245 Posts
The TA weighs about 3,400-lbs as towed. I borrowed the trailer and it weighs around 1200-1,500-lbs.
Did the same with mine over labor day weekend. Towed it from chi-town to Bowling Green for the LTX shootout. Got around 15mpg average going 70. Must have been downhill the hole way!!LOL

Did the same thing you did and it towed way better than my wifes I6.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts