Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2007 TrailblazerSS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trans in my 07 2wd started slipping badly. Last time I drove it, i heard what sounded like gears rattling/scraping.

So I ordered an RPM lvl5, should be in next week.

I have read were others say replace converter while it's out, makes sense.

My motor is stock. I don't plan on doing anything crazy in the future.
Maybe a cam or fast intake manifold one day. (when time to rebuild engine)

So on stall speed I am in conflict.
I don't go to a track.
This truck is my daily driver.
On occasion I tow a utility trailer full of lumber or appliances.
90% of my driving is from my hood to work. city driving.

Most of what I have read on the con side of getting a stall at around 3000-3200 makes me think I don't want to one.

Main goal here is to keep the truck in good working order. And piss on the occasional riced honda that pulls up next to me at a light.

Suggestions please.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6.2 silverao
2,942 Posts
A great converter for you would probably be Greg from phoenix's hybrid. Old man Pete had that converter and you could still tow with it, drive close to stock, and get around 3k stall speed when you nail the skinny pedal

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
640 Posts
I'm a firm believer of circle D. I had there budget friendly 3200 with no issues. I towed my 4k set up with no issues and daily drove it. For the cost how can you go wrong and I was more than happy to deal with them. Great customer service.

·
Registered
2007 TrailblazerSS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I have been talking with Chris at circle D.

There are a few people that said the 3200 stall was too "loose" for a stock daily driver.

that is my concern. and since no one around here has one, i can't test it myself.

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS RWD
1,795 Posts
I've had his 3200 before getting too crazy with mods and was very happy with it. Didn't think it was too loose at all and I believe you can still tow with it but you would want to make sure you have a trans cooler.

Reactions: 1SickSS

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
640 Posts
I can't say on other manufacturers because this was my first stalled vehicle but after a week of driving I forgot it was there unless I wanted race it. Whatever you do don't go under 3k stall. One of the best first mods for these pigs. Once you launch it you will be glad you went with a decent stall.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
640 Posts
Agreed with trans cooler. I never ran it without it and never seen high temps even with back to back runs at the track.

·
Mattmikemark
2006 Trailblazer SS
5,366 Posts
I have a 3200 Circle D as well and love it. Guys there are awesome to work with. I still tow often and haven't had any issues. Get a trans cooler and keep the stall locked up when cruising and you'll be fine.

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
Id recomend between 2800-3200rpm converter. If it was mine, no way Id go under 3000, and recomend the 3200. You can still tow and the 0-60 improvements are amazing. If for whatever reason you stay stock, at least have the converter flushed locally. Another option if you not into modding heavily is the I6 converter from a 6cyl trailblazer. They are super cheap too.

Reactions: 1SickSS

·
Registered
2007 TrailblazerSS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 3200 Circle D as well and love it. Guys there are awesome to work with. I still tow often and haven't had any issues. Get a trans cooler and keep the stall locked up when cruising and you'll be fine.
This is where I am a bit ignorant.

So to keep it "locked up" while cruising, does that imply my engine is at 3000rpm while cruising if the stall is 3000 ?

I know I have the wrong vehicle for MPGs but I am guessing my city milage is going to be around 12 instead of 14.5 ?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,593 Posts
The 278mm Circle D 3-3200 stall was perfect for daily driving. Yes, it was looser than stock but it really wasnt bad at all for DD duties and it hit hard when you stomped on it.

I'm going to tell you this, a stall will make it much more fun to drive. Non stalled autos will be boring to you.

·
Mattmikemark
2006 Trailblazer SS
5,366 Posts
This is where I am a bit ignorant.

So to keep it "locked up" while cruising, does that imply my engine is at 3000rpm while cruising if the stall is 3000 ?

I know I have the wrong vehicle for MPGs but I am guessing my city milage is going to be around 12 instead of 14.5 ?
No, locked up means that the converter is not transferring power via fluid as normal, but instead has locked to a pure mechanical 1:1 ratio power transfer. Every converter does this at 1:1 ratio to increase MPG & decrease heat production Once the converter clutch is locked up, the truck will drive just the same as it did with the stock converter in it.

·
Registered
2007 TrailblazerSS
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input everyone.

Just watched a few movies with muscle cars, so I guess I'll order the converter on Monday.

Driving the wife's smooth shifting benz for the past 2 weeks has turned me into a pansie.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
Seems like you may be thinking that a 3200 stall means the truck wont move until you get up to 3200 rpm. that is not the case, thats just a round about number that when full power is applied, it will flash up to. I also have a 3200 Circle D, it drives slightly looser than stock, and that is just meaning im sitting at around 2k when accelerating lightly. I cannot comment on towing abilities as of yet, but from everything I've seen I would say this is the limit of a converter to maintain towing. Now as others have said, the night and day difference of getting these trucks moving with a converter is grin material. Part of that is the torque multiplier, the other part is being able to lay in higher power and utilizing that to get you rolling out.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,679 Posts
Ive ran a precision 3600 triple disk lock up on my tbss for a few years now. Ive towed with it and still loved it. Im actaully having it restalled to 4k rpm now.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,957 Posts
I think if im not mistaken the 3200 hybrid verter is on sale at Phoenix right now? Like 11 6.2 said it is a great converter, drives almost like stock, you can tow with it and it is also lighter than the other guys stalls due to its design. Top notch customer service,Give them a shout.

Reactions: 92tsiawdguy

·
Mattmikemark
2006 Trailblazer SS
5,366 Posts
I've trailer a Jeep home with this converter, and it slips a little more than it would normally, but once cruising you couldn't tell a difference. LS2 & 4.10s means it has enough lugging power that the converter doesn't have to unlock, even on steep grades.

·
Can you say 9's
AWD Trailblazer SS
2,065 Posts
Yank 3200 was a great DD converter..

Reactions: KA47
1 - 20 of 23 Posts