Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
07 3SS Imperial Blue No Sunroof
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So the top of my radiator literally blew off, and I must admit, it was quite a spectacular sight to see. Once I realized what happened, I was dumbfounded that it was not a hose, or a crack, but the top of the radiator itself is discombobulated.

I have not been able to understand why such an event would happen, as I drove it about 15 miles, with no symptoms. Once I arrived at my destination (15 miles with no traffic), I found a parking spot, and noticed a weird hissing sound as I pulled in. The exact second I put it in park, BOOM! Even more odd, Temps were just fine on both my dash and the AreoForce. I have an eFan, but don't know much more than that, as I purchased the vehicle after modification from my girlfriends mom after the owner, her dad had passed.

What I am worried about, is that the eFan may not work again after I replace the radiator. I haven't gotten to learn how it is set up and programmed to work. Do I just replace the radiator, put everything back, and observe? Or is there a better and sure way to know if it works or not? Also, is a radiator replacement fairly easy, or should I go into a shop for it? Anyone have any idea on how much it might cost? I have basic experience with things like clutch master/slave cylinders, brakes, and minor things like spark plugs, but not much more.

I think I am going to sell it once this is completed. I have not had good luck with cars post radiator problems.

Here a few pics of the carnage:

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Radiators are relatively easy to replace. Just have to take off the crap around them to get at. Plastic likely just got weak and cracked. Then kaboom! Have had aluminum rads to that to me as well. If hoses are old I just replace them as well to prevent needing to replace fluid again. Same with tsat. But that's just how I roll when I'm changing a rad. Just need to make sure no air in the system when done.

·
Registered
07 3SS Imperial Blue No Sunroof
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Radiators are relatively easy to replace. Just have to take off the crap around them to get at. Plastic likely just got weak and cracked. Then kaboom! Have had aluminum rads to that to me as well. If hoses are old I just replace them as well to prevent needing to replace fluid again. Same with tsat. But that's just how I roll when I'm changing a rad. Just need to make sure no air in the system when done.
Thanks. Have you any advice on the eFan part?

·
Registered
44 Posts
That I don't as I'm on the mech fan still. Soon I will have advice as to the specifics on a tbss. As for other cars, usually just put them back on and let the car run and check the coolant temp with IR thermometer (pointed at the hoses) and make sure they kick on once they reach the required temp.

·
Registered
'07 3SS 2WD
480 Posts
The radiator is a piece of cake to replace when efans are installed. I would recommend a new cap

1 - 6 of 6 Posts