Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know if I’m fortunate or unfortunate since I was able to get a set of Tony’s redesigned upper arms (id ask him but he’s a ghost) before he dropped off the planet. So the issue I’m having is the steering feels loose at times especially going over bumps. I grabbed the upper part of the tire (with it on the ground) and put inward/outward pressure and I could see the ball joint moving, I was also getting a popping /clunking noise. I replaced new ball joints thinking that was the issue, regreased everything. It still appears that there’s movement between the arm and the ball joint. My question for anyone that was able to get the new arms have you had similar issues and did anyone have to modify the arms like the 1st gen by enlarging pinch bolt hole adding a 7/16” bolt??

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it was the shaft moving up and down, since there’s some play when I put the bolt into the hole. The bolt is slightly smaller then the hole in the arm.

·
Registered
411 Posts
When I put in new ball joints, I had to press them in with the ball joint tool, it wasn't a drop in. So I can't imagine them moving at all even if not bolted.... It's strange indeed. Can you try a different brand? I used mevotech HD ones. Or take a caliper to measure and compare a couple at the autoparts store.

You're last resort would be to do the drill out mod with a larger bolt and more torque to lock it down.

There are so many other things to look at as well especially at the age of our vehicles. Every rubber bit is suspect at this point, the racks, the tie rods even the steering column. Much of that you need a pry bar to look for play

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh my flipping truck is stupid. I’ve replaced pretty much every front end component except the front springs, knuckles and cv joints. Everything else is new with pretty much all delco stuff

·
Registered
2007 TrailblazerSS
71 Posts
I thought it was the shaft moving up and down, since there’s some play when I put the bolt into the hole. The bolt is slightly smaller then the hole in the arm.
If bolt size fits thru ball joint and is tight, no movement side to side and a arm bolt hole is bigger, see if you got enough room to drill out the ball joint hole bigger to same size as a arm and use bigger bolt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tony just posted on Facebook for the first time the other day. He is supposedly back in business and answering phones. Are you running stock sway bar end links? I know on mine my sway bar end links caused some issues after I lowered it because they where too long. Ordered some adjustable and it fixed that. Also like others said check the steering column there are a few places that can loosen up over time

·
Registered
411 Posts
Tony just posted on Facebook for the first time the other day. He is supposedly back in business and answering phones. Are you running stock sway bar end links? I know on mine my sway bar end links caused some issues after I lowered it because they where too long. Ordered some adjustable and it fixed that. Also like others said check the steering column there are a few places that can loosen up over time
I can tell you he is not back. At least not 100%. I texted him a few days after his post and got nothing from him.

texting directly is not scalable, especially from a guy that said he needed to take a break from 24/7 sales/support.

and who still uses an @aol email address? Really man.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can tell you he is not back. At least not 100%. I texted him a few days after his post and got nothing from him.

texting directly is not scalable, especially from a guy that said he needed to take a break from 24/7 sales/support.

[/QUOT

yeah I just seen the post and figured I would relay the info. Honestly I don’t really see how anyone can really come back from ghosting that many people. Especially when half the people that he ghosted had already paid for parts. It also doesn’t help his case that he was still accepting orders the whole time as well and then just pops back up out of no where with the excuse I just needed to take a break from the 24/7 customer service. I’m sure everyone would have been just fine with the typical 9-5 customer service.

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS (LT Based)
5,982 Posts
Where did you order the adjustable end links from? Part Number?

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS (LT Based)
5,982 Posts
Whiteline, easy to find via the googlè apparatus
All over the Whiteline site and I see nothing specifically for the TBSS, so I sent them a message to ask what fts my truck. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
411 Posts
All over the Whiteline site and I see nothing specifically for the TBSS, so I sent them a message to ask what fts my truck. Thanks for your help.
let me give you the easy button then. These guys are killer in the tbss platform and other.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The whiteline ones are awesome and I will be ordering those eventually as I like the design of those but I am currently running the blox bxss-10101-ael. The blox ones are cheap and they work.

·
Registered
2006 Black 3SS AWD
529 Posts
The whiteline ones are awesome and I will be ordering those eventually as I like the design of those but I am currently running the blox bxss-10101-ael. The blox ones are cheap and they work.
I have the whitelines on my 06. They fit good. Only downside is the nuts don't stay tight, I've had to red loctite them. Not all but ,2 or 3.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
For rear end links, the guys at suspension Maxx were awesome to work with. The energy suspension ones I bought on the other hand were pieces of crap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the replacement A arms mentioned, re-used known good ball joints but seem to have a sloppy ride. The bushings are urethane ( I guess, red in color ) so I just figured the ride was from the mixing of OEM lowers and bushings along with less suspension travel from the drop. Lowering struts along with OEM springs are used also.
Anyways to my question... I've seen custom A arms built from Extensive on their builds where they weld a triangle of 1/4" steel into the open center of the arm. Could the sloppy ride be from flex in the A arm itself?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've lately begun to spsect I'm having the same thing happen. It's rare for me, but a sudden application of force, like a stab on the brakes, makes a small creak/pop noise

At first I was thinking it was the a arm to frame bolts working loose and considered that super $$$ bolt kit with the lockout, but I've been checking them and they're staying tight after a lot of greasing. It could be a slightly undersized ball joint bolt.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tony got back to me he said with the new arms I shouldn’t have to hog out the pinch bolt like the old arms. He suggested rotating the ball joint shaft 180 to use the other flange and tighten bolt to 45 ft lbs. he suggested using prothane grease for the zerk fittings. Try lubing zeros again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts