Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS 3SS
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you use gloss black or flat black? Did you have them powder coated or paint them your selves? With what?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
'06 AWD
5,094 Posts
The whole grill? I did just the bt front and rear and they are holding up fine...don't know about doing the whole grill.

·
moar cowbell
Trailblazer
6,426 Posts
I went flat black and I'm glad I did. I think the gloss might have been too shiny.

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS 3SS
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2006 TBSS
119 Posts
+1 on this...the gray looks terrible...

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS 3SS
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The whole grill? I did just the bt front and rear and they are holding up fine...don't know about doing the whole grill.
just all the black plastic non painted pieces. I have seen them on several members trucks.

·
Premium Member
'06 AWD
5,094 Posts
Oh ok sorry misunderstood. I guess it would depend on location. If mine was a DD here on the wonderful state of Il. It wouldn't hold up at all imo.

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS 3SS
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2006 TBSS
119 Posts
Also, did you prep the grill pieces any way? obviously not sanding them, but primer, etc?

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS 3SS
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh ok sorry misunderstood. I guess it would depend on location. If mine was a DD here on the wonderful state of Il. It wouldn't hold up at all imo.
The TBSS is my D.D. and you don't think powder coated and cleared it would hold up?

·
Premium Member
'06 AWD
5,094 Posts
I don't know if it can be pc'd. Temps and all I thought most had BS spray it. Talk to Sean Silverghost he would know def. I rattle canned my bt's lol and are doing fine. But if it can be done I'm in....speedway black to match rims when he does mine.

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS 3SS
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS 3SS
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
06 RWD Whitey
6,023 Posts
When we make our mesh grilles, we reuse the edges of the stock pieces. They are sanded smooth and then we repaint them.

We use Krylon "Fusion for Plastics"
#Satin Black
Available in 12 oz. — 2421
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

It has retained its deep black color longer than the stock did and looks a hell of a lot better. They sell it at Walmart for right around 5 bucks a can.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
2,260 Posts
so what areguys doing?....just taking it off and spraying it with the krylon or are u preping it a certain way and clear coat??....im very interested

·
Premium Member
'07 SS3 Silverstone
3,805 Posts
I'm in process of this now!

I got the top grille pieces (4) done last week, and now the weather just doesn't wanna play. Maybe I can finish soon.

I started with Adam's APC to clean everything down, then used a light sanding block, more APC, 4 coats of Adhesion Promotor, 4 coats of Satin Black, and 5 coats of clear. Looks tons better.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts