T56, NO, or Other?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
'07 TBSS 1SS
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so Checo/Frank's I6->LS7 conversion has me a bit jazzed. The old girl (6L80 5.3L TB LS "RS" mule) has been more or less sitting in the driveway collecting wasp nests for the past 2 yrs...and needs some work. It's been more or less returned to stock by sticking the TBSS's old 4L70 in it but I have been unsuccessful in trading/selling her as is...so I guess if I'm gonna put money in her, I might as well make her bitchin'!

As it's no longer a challenge to stick a 6L80/90 in one of these and the 4L80 has been done, I need a new challenge. Soooooo I keep seeing interest resurface for a manual option in GM SUV and now am thinking, what the fuck...why not? :dunno: I have resisted bc I didn't want to deal with cutting a hole in the floorpan, but...I suppose it has already hit it's resale value bottom limit, right?

So....who thinks this is the way to go? Who thinks I should just go with another more challenging option? :king1:

Suggestions/Leads for sourcing the hard parts? I figure the SSR transmission is too elusive, so I should be ok with a CTS-V or Gen 5 Camaro trans as they have the remote hanger system shifter vs. the 4th Gen/GTO with it's built in housing. Don't need to go into building it up as it's going behind the mild 5.3l and is really for experimentation, mock up test purposes.

·
ADHD
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
3,923 Posts
Subscribed.

If you need info on the t56 to transfer case coupling I started working on, lemme know....assuming this is awd.

·
Registered
'07 Silverstone TBSS
965 Posts
Ok...so Checo/Frank's I6->LS7 conversion has me a bit jazzed. The old girl (6L80 5.3L TB LS "RS" mule) has been more or less sitting in the driveway collecting wasp nests for the past 2 yrs...and needs some work. It's been more or less returned to stock by sticking the TBSS's old 4L70 in it but I have been unsuccessful in trading/selling her as is...so I guess if I'm gonna put money in her, I might as well make her bitchin'!

As it's no longer a challenge to stick a 6L80/90 in one of these and the 4L80 has been done, I need a new challenge. Soooooo I keep seeing interest resurface for a manual option in GM SUV and now am thinking, what the fuck...why not? :dunno: I have resisted bc I didn't want to deal with cutting a hole in the floorpan, but...I suppose it has already hit it's resale value bottom limit, right?

So....who thinks this is the way to go? Who thinks I should just go with another more challenging option? :king1:

Suggestions/Leads for sourcing the hard parts? I figure the SSR transmission is too elusive, so I should be ok with a CTS-V or Gen 5 Camaro trans as they have the remote hanger system shifter vs. the 4th Gen/GTO with it's built in housing. Don't need to go into building it up as it's going behind the mild 5.3l and is really for experimentation, mock up test purposes.
Sure, why not. But just outta curiosity, does the truck feel any different with a 4L70 vs the old 4L60?

·
I wanna go fast!
Trailblazer SS 06
2,398 Posts
I vote t56. But they dont let you tow with it in the srt10. So i wonder how much u gotta put into it to tow. The only srt10 that tows is the quad cab with the auto. And its a diesel trans. But your 5.3 wont hurt it lol

·
Premium Member
'07 TBSS 1SS
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If you're gonna do it, do it with readily available parts.

Good luck, hope it works out better than the 6l80 experiment...
That's the goal. Always start with readily available but, I highly doubt many readily available parts will work without significant modifications (e.g. clutch pedals-with and without power adjustment, an anti-theft/roll solution for our non locking steering wheel, and ideal console/cupholders/e-brake solution).

The 6L80 experiment was fine...it's the damn DOD/AFM lifters in the 5.3L that went and made me pull the goodies out.

Subscribed.

If you need info on the t56 to transfer case coupling I started working on, lemme know....assuming this is awd.
Definitely. Is it different than the one that I saw floating out on the internet?

It's been done. lol

Sure, why not. But just outta curiosity, does the truck feel any different with a 4L70 vs the old 4L60?
No. Ratios are same. Granted, I am able to up the pressure (i.e. use TBSS TCM file) for firmer shifts and more responsive downshifts, but the stock tune of a LH6 5.3L/4L60 is gutless. I'll get around to upping all the hidden Torque Management sooner or later.

I vote t56. But they dont let you tow with it in the srt10. So i wonder how much u gotta put into it to tow. The only srt10 that tows is the quad cab with the auto. And its a diesel trans. But your 5.3 wont hurt it lol
I'm hoping the trade off of less power in front of the trans will allow for more weight behind it. I may throw in an SS 4.10's anyhow as it's a peg leg 3.42 rear anyhow. Part-throttle in mid-corners became a drifting event when the 6L80 was in there. Ahhh...good times. :D

·
ADHD
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
3,923 Posts
Definitely. Is it different than the one that I saw floating out on the internet?
Yeah...but if there is one already made - go for it...mine was just designed and FEA done on it....I never did find anyone who wanted to broach the splines for quantities less than 2000 lol...

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
If you are going to go that route, you might as well go TR6060. Stronger, newer, and can hold more power.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
If you don't wanna go TR6060, get a built T56. I have heard a lot of good things about Texas Drivetrain Performance, they have some good prices too. I have their Stage 3 build in my T/A. You should also look at a rebuildable dual disk clutch. I have a McLeod Street Twin, and it was only $250 to have it rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,837 Posts
Actually, the t56 is stronger than the tr6060..... ill find the article where I read and it shows pics of the teeth. The tr6060 has more teeth but a lot smaller and they were just shearing off.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,837 Posts
The cts v t56 is great. Already has a lot of upgraded parts from the factory vs a fbody or gto t56. Keep in mind youll need a 2 piece drive shaft with a ctsv t56. They have a 3 bolt flange instead of a regular tailshaft.

·
NOT SLOW, NOT FAST
TrailblazerSS
1,982 Posts
I got a lead on a 6l80e for cheap if you want it. PM me if interested

1 - 20 of 36 Posts