Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
06 Trailblazer SS
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leaking head gasket on the passenger side and two bolts broke off in the drivers side, so this weekend I'm going to pull the heads and replace them with my AFRs.

I did a quick search but didn't find anything.

Are there any TBSS specific write ups on some time saving methods for pulling the heads?

On a side note.
I'm replacing the heads, gaskets (of course), lifters, and push rods.

I had plan to do this when I swapped cams but with the head gasket leaking I can't wait.

AFR 205 heads 66cc
Cometic 4.030 .040" head gaskets
LS7 lifters
ARP Head Bolts
For push rods I have 7.4's from Thunder Racing and 7.350 Trickflows
hopefully one of these gets me close enough.

Then next month or so I'll do the cam, oil pump, and timing chain.

Am I screwing up trying it this way or what?

·
moar cowbell
Trailblazer
6,426 Posts
I would just do it all at the same time.

No tricks I know of really, just that I thought I could get away with leaving the exhaust manifolds on the ypipe and just pushing them to the side to get to the bottom bolts on the heads.... wasn't happening.

·
Registered
06 Trailblazer SS
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eric as of now I'm in a rental until I get this done so waiting and doing the cam and heads together isn't really an option for me. The head swap is really from necessity at this point. I just couldn't see going through all the trouble of pulling the passenger head to replace the head gasket and not pulling both and doing and upgrade. Not even looking for any performance gain at this point. Just getting back on the road.

Greg will that even fit under the hood? :rofl:

·
Registered
06 Trailblazer SS
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well damn.
After inspecting my set of "slightly used" roller rockers I discovered that they are garbage. The roller has eaten into the sides on four or five of them, literally cutting a grove right in the side. One still has a shard of metal hanging off.

I guess if I'm going to order the rockers I may as well order a cam and be done with it.

Wonder what the turn around time is on a custom ground cam.

:burp:

·
Registered
06 Trailblazer SS
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep harland sharp rollers

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
If I may suggest, borrow a straight edge and make sure the decks are flat. I don't think this is a common problem, but anytime you have a leaking head gasket, and don't know the reason behind it (assuming you don't, but perhaps you do), I would check, just to be sure.

·
Registered
06 Trailblazer SS
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I may suggest, borrow a straight edge and make sure the decks are flat. I don't think this is a common problem, but anytime you have a leaking head gasket, and don't know the reason behind it (assuming you don't, but perhaps you do), I would check, just to be sure.
Steve I'm not sure what caused it, and I will definitely put a straight edge on it before reassembly. My mechanic at the dealership said that it is rare to see a head gasket leaking on a stock motor.
If I pull it apart and find some real damage I do have a back plan/motor.

·
Registered
06 Trailblazer SS
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Project put off for a week.

Cam ordered.

Decided last minute to go entirely differnet direction...

LME port L92 heads milled 64cc
Custom cam from Alvin

AFR Heads will be for sale soon.
like new $1800 shipped with comp 921 springs 66cc

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
Boo (didn't go with WCCH)

·
Registered
06 Trailblazer SS
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Boo (didn't go with WCCH)
Well I had picked these up from a guy local for $800 with dual springs so we'll see what they can do.
LME builds some pretty badass motors so I'm sure these heads will be fine.

LME

:afro1:

·
Banned
TBSS
11,699 Posts
I would just do it all at the same time.

No tricks I know of really, just that I thought I could get away with leaving the exhaust manifolds on the ypipe and just pushing them to the side to get to the bottom bolts on the heads.... wasn't happening.
It can happen, you need a swivel and extension. :biggrin2:

EDIT: with stock manifolds got me there, with headers it's doable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts