Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get some tips from the experienced guys on opening up headlights. I bought some vision headlamps which turned out to be sealed up like oem ones. I have cut them open on the outer edges and now the center portion where the grill clips into them at is also sealed with the world's strongest sealant. What do you do to get that portion free? I have baked them at 250 for 10 min which doesn't even seem to effect the sealant. I guess I can use my dremel to cut the center portion but I am afraid of hacking up that area and it showing. Any ideas are appreciated.

·
Midgets with hammers
'06 TBSS AWD
15,999 Posts
Scrap those and buy DEPO lights. Bake at 250* for 20 mins and pull them right apart.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scrap those and buy DEPO lights. Bake at 250* for 20 mins and pull them right apart.
I totally would throw them away but I spent too much on them. I will at least try and get them done. If I ever do this again I will definitely get the depo lights.

·
Premium Member
07 Black TBSS
6,248 Posts
LOTS of Heat and LOTS of prying...Very hard. They will eventually come apart... If you are lucky. I still remember splitting the bridge of my nose wide open when the one pair of Vision headlights I modded finally came flying apart. It took a lot of force to break the middle part free. The Vision headlights themselves are actually great, just not for modding. You will need to reseal with butyl rubber... Just put it over what's already there.

Don't worry about hacking up the center section... The grille covers it

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,957 Posts
Shake and bake baby.. like jake said the only way is to put in oven and have someone help you pull apart with gloves on while you hold light assembly.. they will come apart, be patient..

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the information. After 3 days of fighting these lights I still haven't got the center all the way separated. These light are whipping my ass. I will get them apart one way or another. I did 250 for 20 minutes and the sealant still held like nothing I ever had to deal with. JD what temp did you use in the oven with your lights? Thanks again fellas and happy fourth.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the lights are done. The center wasn't coming apart for nothing without destroying the grill mounting peice. I ended up cutting the middle of the lens so I could pull it apart. After finishing the first light the second one only took about a o hours from start to finish. Lessons learned if I ever have to do it again.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
40 Posts
i see this is an old post but i have a good set up idea for you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts