Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 06 AWD ss that has 58k miles. It seems when I start the truck and its cold, there is a bit of a ticking/tapping noise. After a few minutes of driving it seems to go away. Is this normal as the block is cold and expands with heat, or do I have something to worry about?

·
Registered
TBSS Black 2006
532 Posts
I have the same year and same miles and mine ticks. Lifters probably. I've had all of my vehicles that have had some sort of tick when cold, especially up here in Wisco.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
:iamwithstupid:also make sure you let it warm up before you hammer on it.

·
Registered
07 TBSS,Silverado SS
185 Posts
I think it's a common problem with them if I'm not mistaking but I can't tell if it's the top or bottom of the the motor from where the ticking is coming from...my buddy has an 06 an I have a 07 they both make the noise...for at least the first 5-10 min after sitting for a lil time or first start up...I kinda get nervous sum times I would like to know what it really is causing it so it can be fixed...

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
Well mine made the same noise and then It got progressively worse. The motor was pulled apart and most of the pistons were scuffed, but after doing a stroker my builder said there was something wrong with my knock sensor. And that could have been what cause the motor to go, funny how the dealership blames it on the tune. Ah well got a brand new motor that goes like a freight train now.:biggrin2: Also make sure it isn't doing it when it's warmed up, if so you could be into some serious problems.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 2006
1,025 Posts
Mine does it too, it's an 06AWD with 50,000 mi on it. Did you ever get it checked out? I'm gonna try to get the GM dealer to cover it, and see if I can't pay the extra for a stroker. If they don't go for it, oh well I'll let it really go then get it done. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
11 Posts
GM is notorious for piston slap issues. One of their recommended "fixes" is to replace the pistons with coated ones to take up excessive clearance in the bore. Just take it easy on it till it warms up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.