Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what you guys thoughts on swapping in an ls7 vs a Maggie for a daily driver. I'm really looking for around 550 rear wheel dependable hp. Not wanting to run meth on a Maggie to keep temps down. I know an ls7 swap will be quite a bit more money.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,505 Posts
I'd love an LS7 in mine but the cost vs going with the Maggie would keep me from doing it. I think you could safely make 550 with the SC.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
Maggie all day! Thst LS7 swap will be pricey. Plus u can make 575 all day with a Maggie. with the correct set up.
A LS7 will need heads/cam intake to even get anything close to 550.

Reactions: gldelox

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
297 Posts
I "daily" mine with a Maggie, not very far, and it's great. Haven't had any heat issues, just worse gas mileage :) Going to be cheaper than the LS7 and you have several options on your setup and tune to make the power you want.

·
TBSS Fleet Owner
'07 TBSS
13,611 Posts
My 1900 puts down almost 600, no meth and temps are fine. I've got almost 12k miles on my build with no issues. *knock on wood*

Reactions: GM OR DIE

·
Premium Member
2wd Turbo
11,126 Posts
A LS7 is going to need to be pretty damn radical to make numbers like that NA in a TBSS!

Go Blower and enjoy.

·
Registered
07 TrailblazerSS
828 Posts
Yup Maggie all the way.

·
Midgets with hammers
'06 TBSS AWD
15,999 Posts
There IS an LS7 427 putting down 540awhp which happens to be the highest "known" N/A awhp out there. It is "mildly" built and using meth by a well respected forum builder. Just depends on what you're after and what your budget will allow. 550whp CAN be had while still N/A and "maybe" by something even less than 427ci. Jus sayin.

Edit: Don't get hung up on hp numbers on a dyno. Making good power and the ability to put it down will win out.... It's NOT just about your hp numbers.

·
needs moar powa
1,185 Posts
Option 3 : tvs with built motor, if you really plan to drive the truck and not worry about it.

Everyone with a tvs or a blower ends up going forged sooner or later - some by choice and some due to carnage

All motor ls7 is always a lot less headache and better reliability, but your hp goal is on the high side.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,313 Posts
Neither!!!

Is it a 2wd rig?
If so, FMT (front mount turbo) all the way baby!

Or get a procharger...P1-SC-1 or a D1SC...
The intercooler is more efficient with the procharger so IAT's and detonation are not as big of an issue, power comes on linearly with a centrifugal unit as opposed to immediately with a roots/twin screw supercharger, andwith a centrifugal the power keeps gaining as RPM's increase, whereas a Maggie will plateau and even choke out

They all have pros and cons, I like centrifugal chargers myself. Typically, you will make more top end horsepower "safely" with a turbo or procharger than you can with a blower or NOs, and centrifugal chargers tend to be easier on the chassis and stock engine than a Maggie is

Just my .02

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yeah forced induction would be the easiest route. A stock ls7 being 505 at the fly wheel. I guess asking for 550 rear wheel is asking a lot for it to be dependable. I drive at least 60 miles a day. Just a bad experience with a procharger on my mystic cobra. It's a 2wd

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would love a front mount turbo, but realistically I would need to get another vehicle to drive while it was down.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,313 Posts
I would love a front mount turbo, but realistically I would need to get another vehicle to drive while it was down.
Maybe not?
There was a member/vendor working on a FMT header/collector system, crossover and all...

If you got the parts together, turbo, intercooler, boots, pipe and headers...it could be as quick as a weekend project, depending how mechanically inclined and motivated you are...

:)

You're 2 wheel drive huh, NOTHING would change my mind of going turbo if I had a 2wd tbss

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah if there was a readally available pipeing kit for a tbss fmt I would go that route for sure. A 76mm turbo I think would meet my hp goal pretty easy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts