Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......and have a way to view your trans temps, I have a question.

Can you tell a difference in the temps from before and after the cooler install? And how much?

My Aeroforce gauge is always set on coolant temp & trans temp. They were always pretty close to one another on any day. Sometimes on 95+ days the trans temps would barely pass the coolant temps, but not by much. A few degrees at the most.

So after the install it looks like the best the cooler has done is maybe 5 degrees at the most cooler? Now we are supposed to have like 98 degrees today, so I will get to see what the difference is.

I don't know, I guess I was just expecting more from what I've read. Don't get me wrong it needs one regardless. I am just glad I didnt spring for the braided hoses kit now. $$$$$ Sometimes peace of mind is worth price however.

·
Premium Member
2007 TrailblazerSS
5,049 Posts
Mine helped out big time. On day when it was around 90 mine hit 215. Now, it rarely hits 195 and it's 96 out. Did you make sure you got the return line so the radiator is feeding your cooler instead of the other way around?

·
Registered
2006 TBSS AWD
476 Posts
Mine helped out big time. On day when it was around 90 mine hit 215. Now, it rarely hits 195 and it's 96 out. Did you make sure you got the return line so the radiator is feeding your cooler instead of the other way around?
That's a considerable difference. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread because I want to know what some of you guys are seeing. Having a cooler would also give me peace of mind for when I move back down south.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I followed PCM's instructions & toggled over to Jetttstream's as well. I assume I have them correct per the instructions & diagrams. I removed the longer section of hard pipe. Isn't that the correct one?

Now like I said we will have a hot one today so if it doesnt get above 195 then I will see some difference. Mine used to get up like yours too before install.

A larger capacity pan along with the cooler is the best route to go. More capacity + cooler = :yay2:

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
We normally see 30-40 degree drops with the cooler. Stock the trans would get over 215 just driving.. heaven help you if you where towing. Now they are for the most part up to 160-180 and only on extremely hot days about 195

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,442 Posts
192 for mine on 100* plus days in TX. I recently went directly/only to the cooler bypassing the radiator. Plus mine has a 7" fan on it. It takes alot longer to get up to 192* than it did with radiator in the sequence.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
192 for mine on 100* plus days in TX. I recently went directly/only to the cooler bypassing the radiator. Plus mine has a 7" fan on it. It takes alot longer to get up to 192* than it did with radiator in the sequence.
May have to save my pennies for a fan setup eventually.

As far as the bypass mod goes I assume this is almost as effective as a cooler. I have always thought the two combined were canceling each other out. I may be mistaken though.

Since you have bypassed the radiator have you noticed any difference in the radiator temps as well?

·
Banned
3,510 Posts
Like alvin mentioned our customers tend to see somewhere between 20-40 degree drops with the addition of the brake duct mounted cooler. Outside weather conditions, driving styles and fluid condition all play a role in that figure as well. Also, if your using the factory sensor on the valve body via HPT or a dashawk/aeroforce gauge it will be a little slower to react or decrease compared to an aftermarket gauge.

We never recommend deleting the factory cooler unless you plan to run a massive (read larger than the normal brake duct cooler) even if you run it with a fan. We have seen others delete their factory cooler and not have issues but is not what we prefer. Ideally using a liquid to liquid cooler first then an air to liquid cooler will give a person more cooling capacity than just a single large air to liquid cooler.

·
Registered
2007 TrailblazerSS
440 Posts
mine stays about 175-180 around a 90deg day

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,442 Posts
May have to save my pennies for a fan setup eventually.

As far as the bypass mod goes I assume this is almost as effective as a cooler. I have always thought the two combined were canceling each other out. I may be mistaken though.

Since you have bypassed the radiator have you noticed any difference in the radiator temps as well?
The main thing I noticed was instead of peaking at 192* in about 10-15 minutes of driving in 100* temps it now takes a much longer time frame-at least 30 minutes. The radiator temp still tops out at the same temp. It warms up the trans temp going into radiator alot quicker since water temp rises faster than trans temp. So why warm it up to water temp level only to try to cool it back down again. Logic tells ya two heat sources for an under rated radiator is not as good for cooling as is seperate ones for each. I have my fan on the cooler in front so its a pusher-getting air from the brake duct but NOT only from there. Its all open in front of the fan so it can pull air from under/around the valance as well.

·
Registered
2008 Trailblazer SS
100 Posts
I have the PCMforless cooler and temps are about 40 to 50 degrees cooler than the coolant. I cant believe that some of you guys are seeing temps over 190. Even stock i wouldn't see 185 when it was 85+ degrees outside. Im getting my temps from my Dashhawk could this be why?

·
Banned
Supercharged TBSS
1,940 Posts
i ahve 2 tranny cooloers. They help big time. sometimes when i been driving for a while pull up to a light it will go to about 200 but go right back down to 120 soo as i start going. prolly because of the air movement but they work and its a good 150$ mod.

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,442 Posts
I have the PCMforless cooler and temps are about 40 to 50 degrees cooler than the coolant. I cant believe that some of you guys are seeing temps over 190. Even stock i wouldn't see 185 when it was 85+ degrees outside. Im getting my temps from my Dashhawk could this be why?
Actual air temp here in TX is 100* everyday so I feel good if I'm keeping trans temp within 90* of actual. I use my Aeroforce for monitoring. Hell the other night we set a new "high" low temp at 83*.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
1,496 Posts
After driving both steady and traffic, my AF gauge will read 90-100 degrees over outside temperature. This is running a cooler through rad and no additional fan.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You live in WI......some of us live in the armpit of the country. :bum: I wish it was only 85+ here. :rofl:

I just drove to get some grub for lunch. Ambient was 94 degrees and I drove about a mile & a half total. It never got past 180 degrees I think.

I will record my 30+ mile commute home in 98 degree temps this afternoon after it's had time to get good and warm :D

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the ambient temp was 101 degrees on the way home last night. While on the interstate the trans temp got to 195-197 range. When I got in traffic it got to 199-200 range.

Still wish it was a little bit better, but it appears to be helping some.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
Less than 215 is better than stock, less than 200 is a good, less than 180 is perfect, less than 150 you might need to block some of the cooler off. That's the way I think about it.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Less than 215 is better than stock, less than 200 is a good, less than 180 is perfect, less than 150 you might need to block some of the cooler off. That's the way I think about it.
yeah it got up around that 215 mark right before install, that's what prompted me to go ahead and bite the bullet and get it done.

Can the fan be installed after mounting the cooler Alvin? It's a puller right?

·
Premium Member
2007 TrailblazerSS
5,049 Posts
That's a good guide to go off of, I like it. Alvin, if I removed T/M like I was discussing with Kelly, would my 370whp SS probably tear stuff up on my trans even with your cooler and C6 fan mod?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts