Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok TBSS owners...this is my first post but having read through 86 pages in the General TBSS forums, I feel quite educated about this exceptional vehicle and feel it ok to post a few Q's here...

1. Vehicle is a black '07 3SS AWD w/73k miles. Has every option but rear DVD. I was told that due to the CANBUS electrical system, that aftermarket NAV's are not easy to install - or - don't behave well with the existing electrical system. Through my reading here, I find this to be a false statement (the guy was a dopey indy dealer). Bluetooth and full iPod touch screen control are my top 2 priorities and I loved my AVIC D3 when I had it...can someone verify that aftermarket Navi's are fine??

2. My negotiated price is 17.9k. I think this is a good deal given the fact that I get it with 27k miles and 1.5 years of powertrain warranty remaining. Thoughts??? This is one of the real 'value for money' vehicles on the road right now. I presume I can put an ignition switch on the 'pro-active to do list'? I can tolerate things like window and ignition switches and so forth...just don't want to deal with paying out of pocket for a trans or rear diff or being left stranded!

3. I have ZERO plans to modify for performance in any way as this is my DD/foul weather car. From my understanding, I should have good reliability with regard to the trans, yes?

I am coming from a '97 Tacoma 4x4 with 185k on it which has been absolutely bullet proof for me so please forgive my hesitation to go into this purchase with 100% confidence! I will miss her dearly but I need an automatic, more room and something I can take the ol lady out in without feeling like a hillbilly! I looked at an '03 4runner buy why does an SUV have to be so boring...that's why they invented the ML63, X5 M, GC SRT8 and of course the TBSS right??

Thanks for your responses and look forward to posting pics and contributing!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
227 Posts
Welcome.
i think you will ejoy this as a DD. i have had mine (new) since 09/08 and use it as my weekday DD. i'm one of the older guys here and have not overly mod'd yet. this is what i know.
NAV's - nothing execpt what you have read.
Price - seems good.
Mods - i would recemend a few, especially as a DD. a mild tune will actually help fix a few flaws. Contact Brandon ( 262 ) on here. Best is to get a spare set of controllers and keep the originals clean. Engine wire set from JETTTSTREAM. This will improve the issues with paracitical voltage and help with your windows.
and last but not least, this is the best damn site...period.

good luck

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,386 Posts
I've had mine about same length of time as Jeff. I am somewhat modded with CAI, tune, corvette servos, Avic D3 (yes it works great using PAC modules), its a 2wd 07 with everything but rear DVD. If I were you I would upgrade the battery cables, add a trans cooler, get a CAI and tune. You mpg's will improve as well as all around performance and the cooler will keep temps down in the trans which is the weakest link. I have 63K on mine and I drive vfairly hard-been on the strip 6 times and run 13.4 @ 102. I will be installing a stall convertor and shift inprovement kit in the trans. I paid $22K for mine Sept 08 with 23K on it plus the original tune.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,317 Posts
Price is a bit high for the miles, unless that's out the door...

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
364 Posts
Welcome to the site, you're going to LOVE your TBSS! I drive 25-30k miles per year and have fun every mile. Mine is an 06 AWD, purchased w/42k, now has 84k on her.

I did a Diablo handheld tuner first and that made the truck drive and shift better. I now have a pcmforless tune, cai, fans and harness waiting for install. I did the brake duct mount trans cooler about 6 months ago to help prolong the trans life and because I tow.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You should not have to worry about the transmission if you plan on keeping your truck stock. These trucks are high performance vehicles and a lot of people have modded them and driven them hard since day one so it is key to try to find a truck that you think was taking care of. Good Luck! By the way...did your frame on the Tacoma rust out?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should not have to worry about the transmission if you plan on keeping your truck stock. These trucks are high performance vehicles and a lot of people have modded them and driven them hard since day one so it is key to try to find a truck that you think was taking care of. Good Luck! By the way...did your frame on the Tacoma rust out?
'Looks' to be a stock lifer...no signs of mods - I know they can be removed but even stuff like the 'GM' badges are still there, as is the gold bowtie and such. I'd love to do a basic handheld tune, but don't want the SA's giving me shit if the trans starts having issues (even though the tunes generally HELP the trans). I saw the stock a/f tune on my '03 blown Cobra and swore the engineer that did it was drunk...it was ALL over the place. After a custom SCT...11.5 the whole way then a little rich @ 6000 for protection.

Frame did not rust out, passed this summer (with flying colors). The tech was surprised at how great it looked, theorizing that the prior owner(s) POR 15'd it. There was one at the dealer so rotted out if you jumped in the bed it probably would've broken in half.

Can I get a tune JUST for shift points/firmness? I don't want to F with a/f...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Price is a bit high for the miles, unless that's out the door...
See this is what I don't get...the ones cheaper than mine had similar or slightly less mileage but had no Navi, no leather and generally looked a little beaten - all at Indy dealers.

Seems the sweet spot for the '07's is in the low 20's...go with a little higher mileage and it's high teens. I might be biased, but to get an AWD truck 3 yrs old this capable for under 20k is insanely great.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Wow, your lucky that the prior owners had the foresight to POR 15 the frame. I have been by a few Toyota dealers and have seen the Tacoma's piling up. I would not even bother with a hand held tune. You are much better off going to a professional tuner who knows what he is doing. You should check out Matt at Tune Time...he is a member here and is located in Toms River, NJ which isn't to bad of a drive from CT. He can give you what your looking for!

·
Registered
07 AWD TBSS
104 Posts
I have an 07 AWD 3SS with all options except rear DVD, that I got with 97k for about $15,000 out the door. It's a little more 'worn' than I expected an 07 to be, but for the deal I got, I can live with it.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
360 Posts
See this is what I don't get...the ones cheaper than mine had similar or slightly less mileage but had no Navi, no leather and generally looked a little beaten - all at Indy dealers.

Seems the sweet spot for the '07's is in the low 20's...go with a little higher mileage and it's high teens. I might be biased, but to get an AWD truck 3 yrs old this capable for under 20k is insanely great.
Prices in the north east seem to be higher for some reason so I'd say you are ok as far as price goes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Good luck with the deal.

Are you going to use the trunk for murder?
Yes I always keep a few rolls of plastic sheeting in the back in case I feel the need for a mobile kill room. :rock:

Thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate it. I am really looking forward to having a 'nice' DD. I am going to the dealer this weekend to have a PPI done - if all checks, I'm buying it. I will post pics this weekend. These SUV's are an exceptional buy right now.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,274 Posts
Where in CT are you ? reason I ask is there are several at dealerships for roughly the same price however less miles..GL with purchase $$$ sounds fair...

·
Willy M'Fn Wonka
07 Trailblazer SS
7,244 Posts

You are correct. Bizzle is way off.

You're in CT, why looking in Indy?

I love your show, serial killers are interesting.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where in CT are you ? reason I ask is there are several at dealerships for roughly the same price however less miles..GL with purchase $$$ sounds fair...
I am very close to you in Fairfield County...you have the names of those dealerships?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,317 Posts
You are correct. Bizzle is way off.

You're in CT, why looking in Indy?

I love your show, serial killers are interesting.
I wouldn't say so, I've been looking for a few months before I actually bought mine... I guess I got a steal then...

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,293 Posts
Nothing wrong with a heavily modded DD. I bought this one with a forged engine, attitude cam, kooks, RPM trans/yank stall etc and really enjoy my long daily commute. I really have no interest in going to back to a stock vehicle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts