Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Philanthropist
Trailblazer SS
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran the motor without a t stat for about 300 miles for initial break in with no issues at all. I did my first long trip, about 180 miles today. Last Friday I put a brand new t stat in it, factory temp and all. Now the problem today was that after sitting at idle for about 30 seconds the temp starts to creep up, usually to 220 or 225, highest was 235, then goes back down to around 205-210. I did all the proper bleeding procedures and got a lot of air out of it when I first put the t stat in. Also, you can hear the fan kick to high, so it's working. Also checked all the conections on it. I'm out of ideas. You guys have any?:dunno:

·
Philanthropist
Trailblazer SS
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any suggestions on how to bleed the SOB?

·
Philanthropist
Trailblazer SS
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jack the front of the truck up and try burping it again... get the front as high as possible... ive seen that it has worked for other members on here before..

either that or you just have a lazy thermostat.
Duh lol, shoulda tryed that haha. I'll give it a try, thanks.

So you're saying the t stat is just a lazy.....Naaaaaaa, I won't go there.

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
Loosen the Rad cap till the fluid starts to go into the overfill (do not take cap off!)...Keep an eye on the over fill, make sure it stays full! Let it run for about 20 mins or so..tighten cap....

·
Philanthropist
Trailblazer SS
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it fixed. Drained the break in oil and put Joe Gibbs 10-30 Hot Rod oil back in. When i jacked up the front I decided to open the cooland cap and low and behold, didn't see any water. So I jacked up the back end to get it level for the oil drain, and filled up the rad at that time. Took probably 2, 2 1/2 qts of water. Thanks for the input guys.:coolthumb:

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
I like to drill 1/8" hole in my thermostat, helps purge air from the system PRIOR to the thermostat opening. Lets you fill radiator all the way without having to wait for thermostat to open. Then check it later on for top-off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts