Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a buddy of mine set this up maybe 6 hours before the drunk driver drilled into the side of my truck. Only got to enjoy it for a few songs before the wreck. Its two JL 12" w3v3-4's powered by a JL 500/1v2 monoblock amp with a Kenwood headunit. Im impressed with the amp with the bass knob only turned half way up. Ill post more pics of the box when it comes out the shop, its got a sick JL emblem embedded in the carpet on the top. The amp fits perfect down in the hole and looks really clean when we put the cover over the top of it. :rock:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'06 TrailblazerSS
5,328 Posts
More pics please....how do u like the w3s? Sealed box or ported? I'm getting ready to buy a pair of the 13.5" w3s in the factory JL box. I want it to pound! also looking at the kicker L5s , but leaning towards JL.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More pics please....how do u like the w3s? Sealed box or ported? I'm getting ready to buy a pair of the 13.5" w3s in the factory JL box. I want it to pound! also looking at the kicker L5s , but leaning towards JL.
Sealed, i dont like the "air" noise that most ported boxes make. the box we made is great, we got the dimensions from the JL website and just did it ourselves. the w3s were SLAMMING b4 the wreck that night. i havent seen the 13.5 w3s, all ive seen is the w7 13s and they fuckin take the breath out of you. We're going up to the shop to pull everything out b4 someone tries stealing it so ill take a few pics of the box. Worked out great with the space that we slid the amp down in. thanks for the feedback fellas

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
686 Posts
Sealed, i dont like the "air" noise that most ported boxes make. the box we made is great, we got the dimensions from the JL website and just did it ourselves. the w3s were SLAMMING b4 the wreck that night. i havent seen the 13.5 w3s, all ive seen is the w7 13s and they fuckin take the breath out of you. We're going up to the shop to pull everything out b4 someone tries stealing it so ill take a few pics of the box. Worked out great with the space that we slid the amp down in. thanks for the feedback fellas
PROPER ported box wont make an "air" noise. I always went sealed til I was able to start buildig my own boxes. Started trying ported and yea poorly built ones sound like ass but after trial and error it was a different story. I ALWAYS ran JL and still love them but my fave setup was the last I had which was ALL memphis....Pioneer hu, memphis components, memphis m-class 4 channel, memphis m1000d, and MOJO 12........managed to squeeze all this in a 2000 reg silverado and it rocked. Your setup looks sweet tho. If u ever have the chance to experiment with some good ported setups try it!!:cheers1:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is the setup im probably getting:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_enclosures.php?menu=9&prod_id=427

probably re-wrap the box in black vinyl :dunno:
Hell yeah, i bet the 13s sound alittle deeper than the 12s but im curious to see what kind of bass levels it puts out. What sorta amp are you gonna use to push them? the vinyl should be nice, mybuddy used blk carpet to finish mine and its alittle off from the gray in my back hatch but matches the leather seats good (sorta wish i woulda went with gray though lol)

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PROPER ported box wont make an "air" noise. I always went sealed til I was able to start buildig my own boxes. Started trying ported and yea poorly built ones sound like ass but after trial and error it was a different story. I ALWAYS ran JL and still love them but my fave setup was the last I had which was ALL memphis....Pioneer hu, memphis components, memphis m-class 4 channel, memphis m1000d, and MOJO 12........managed to squeeze all this in a 2000 reg silverado and it rocked. Your setup looks sweet tho. If u ever have the chance to experiment with some good ported setups try it!!:cheers1:
The proper ported boxes ive seen though are fuckin HUGE and i needed the space in the rear for my wheelchair when ppl ride with me. the box would be pointed towards the back if i didnt need the space though. what the hell is m-class, is that memphis' special kind or something?? Ive always loved the way bass sounds coming from an SUV and specially a truck since you cant hear so much raddle. So ur silverado didnt even have a rear cab? holy shit i bet it was quake'n

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have two 13w6s and a 1000.1. /jerk/jerk:biggrin2::biggrin2:
bi bi bi bi bi big ballin son! LOL They're in your tbss or what? Where'd you mount the amp at? i havent seen many setups where the amp is where we put mine so i dont want to feel like a jackass if it overheats when covered. :doh:

·
Premium Member
06 Black 3SS
1,489 Posts
bi bi bi bi bi big ballin son! LOL They're in your tbss or what? Where'd you mount the amp at? i havent seen many setups where the amp is where we put mine so i dont want to feel like a jackass if it overheats when covered. :doh:
Yeah. the SS is currently down for the count though. I haven't decided on a final mounting spot for the amp yet. I've heard I should be fine putting it in the floor compartment, but the truck is getting bagged when i rebuild it (its wrecked currently)... so I have a feeling it'll be a new box design that I can incorporate the amp.

The blue part here (fleece under the fiberglass), is to be painted... while the bare wood on the top and back of the boxes will be covered in matching suede as the front seats :cheers1:

I was thinking about something like this... but honestly, it's a bit busy for my liking. That and the amp being up there just screams "STEAL ME!" lol

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking about something like this... but honestly, it's a bit busy for my liking. That and the amp being up there just screams "STEAL ME!" lol
LOL yeah i was gonna put mine on display too but figured since my area isnt the greatest, that it wouldnt be the best idea. The setup would be dope though if we lived in alaska or something :gossip:
These smiley faces are fuckin awesome lol

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
686 Posts
At that time MCLASS was their top of the line. I had this 4 channel http://cgi.ebay.com/Memphis-M-Class-MCA2004-4-Channel-Amplifier-/260681830254?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item3cb1d90f6e and the 1000d matched it. I totally understand about needing room for the chair. Depends on ported boxes.....some are HUGE but not all. Depends on the speaker size among other things......like I had an ORION HCCA 10" and it only needed 1.5-2 ft^3 where the MOJO 12" I think was 2.5-4 ft^3. There are some wild ported designs that can perform similar to sealed boxes but throw down alot more.....At this moment I have a memphis M3 sitting in the floor I need to get rid of. I miss doing car audio but crap it got expensive. Im sure u will enjoy those W3'S greatly when u get back on the road with them!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At that time MCLASS was their top of the line. I had this 4 channel http://cgi.ebay.com/Memphis-M-Class-MCA2004-4-Channel-Amplifier-/260681830254?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item3cb1d90f6e and the 1000d matched it. I totally understand about needing room for the chair. Depends on ported boxes.....some are HUGE but not all. Depends on the speaker size among other things......like I had an ORION HCCA 10" and it only needed 1.5-2 ft^3 where the MOJO 12" I think was 2.5-4 ft^3. There are some wild ported designs that can perform similar to sealed boxes but throw down alot more.....At this moment I have a memphis M3 sitting in the floor I need to get rid of. I miss doing car audio but crap it got expensive. Im sure u will enjoy those W3'S greatly when u get back on the road with them!
Yeah i never got too familiar with memphis. The nice ported boxes ive seen have like an S design inside but there was usually only enough room for a single sub and ive just always been a fan of dual subs in the back. but yes sirrr im looking fwd to gettin her back on the road!! :bum:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts