Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my TB in March used. I really have no idea what all has/had been done to it. So I'm learning as I go. I have no idea if a stall has been done, or anything. How would I know? :dunno:

Sometimes when it shifts into 2nd it feels like it wants to snap my neck back, even under gentle acceleration. Hell it will chirp sometimes not even trying. LOL

But the downshifting is what really concerns me. It really has that "clunk" feel, and hard downshift sometimes. Well more than I like actually.

Does it sound normal to you guys, or am I feeling the making of a new transmission in the works? :yuck:

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,185 Posts
Ryan crawl under the truck and look and see what color is it. Most RPM transmissions are painted black. If it is silver look for a FINISH LINE TRANSMISSION servo cover on the passenger side. That will give you and idea of what trans may or may not be in it.

Also take the plug out of the bottom and put a flash light up to it and see what color the converter is. Bright red could be a yank or purple could be a PI.

Im not sure what of what other company converter colors maybe or the transmissions maybe but ive installed those brands and know thats what they use.

As far as the downshifting being alittle ruff brother I my case all 3 times that was the 1st sign of it goin out.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's probably why the previous owner traded it in. So that means a rebuilt trans is in my near future.

I'm pretty confident it's the OEM tranny. When I take the plug out will there be fluid? I've never messed with a trans or converter before. Somehow I get the feeling I am about to learn.

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
No the plug is the inspection hole in the bellhousing. No fluid. Stock converter is kind of raw metal looking (if mine was stock when i pulled it), my Circle D is black painted.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No the plug is the inspection hole in the bellhousing. No fluid. Stock converter is kind of raw metal looking (if mine was stock when i pulled it), my Circle D is black painted.
Thanks. :coolthumb:

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,185 Posts
That's probably why the previous owner traded it in. So that means a rebuilt trans is in my near future.

I'm pretty confident it's the OEM tranny. When I take the plug out will there be fluid? I've never messed with a trans or converter before. Somehow I get the feeling I am about to learn.
No there will not be any fluid its just a dust shield. About as big a a 50 cent peice. Just pull it off and see what color your converter is.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha.....just wanted to make sure I had everything I needed to when I check it out.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,864 Posts
B&M converters are black as well.
Could also be programmed with a very agressive tune that has the line pressure drastically increased. This is not always a good thing as the tranny's days will be numbered for destruction when driven agressively often.

Jim

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It shifts the same as it did when I bought it, and after my upgraded TCM module from PCMForless to me.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,864 Posts
Might be on its way out. Sucks, but symptoms are pointing that direction.
The GM tranny's suck as!

Jim

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just called a trans shop to ask their price to swap out a trans, and he said "you need a trans on a 08model.......WOW!!!" "Just bring it to me and let me drive it to see what it needs." Not sure I want to let some guy beat on her that won't take my word for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts