Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...looking for some feedback. I have an 09 Saab that I use to tow my cars and my camper. Recently I swapped from the stock fan to LS1 fans from PCM of NC and also the trans cooler. Went to tow my camper in 95' heat and the temp got up to 235' coolant and 223 trans while going 65 on a mostly flat interstate. Thinking strongly about putting the stock fan back on and relocating the trans cooler and putting a fan on it. Think that is the issue, or think there is something else going on?

·
Registered
08 TBSS
642 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, both fans are turning. I noticed they were not at first...had another shop check my program and they were coming on far too late IMO. Had PCM of NC lower the thresholds. Was running cooler without a load, around 200 in 105' temps. I did replace the thermostat and I haven't done a proper bleed. That is what I will try next. Just learned recently that was a problem with these trucks. I thought I stopped having to bleed coolant systems with my old LT1. :)

·
Premium Member
'07 TBSS
1,231 Posts
Where about in Charlotte you located? I have a spill free funnel you can borrow if you don't have one. Works well in aiding getting rid of air in the system.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That would be great! Maybe I can buy you a beer or three as payment when I pick it up or drop it off.

·
Premium Member
'07 TBSS
1,231 Posts
I'm off work around 6pm today, let me know when you want to get it, I threw it in the truck just in case.

Click your cash, go play.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, I tried bleeding it with the tool John gave me. I didn't see any bubbles come up while it was cold. I massaged the upper tube and squirted myself in the face, but still no bubbles. (Never said I was smart) I cranked it up and waited until the temp was over 160 (have 160 tstat), still no bubbles. I pulled off the line the goes to the heater core and the flow was stead, no bubbles, but wasn't exactly spraying out. I attached a video of it, and a picture of what my temps are driving around town on a 95' day. Does all the appear normal?

Edit: Can't upload an apple movie...will try to remember how to convert it and post later.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
What coolant/ distilled water percentage are you using? You should be running 60-70% parts distilled water and 30-40% parts coolant. The water is what does the cooling. Not the coolant.

~Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines~

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,535 Posts
Always use 50/50 coolant and distilled water for the best freeze/boiling points. You can go as high as 70/30 coolant/water but never the other way around and only in extreme circumstances.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
Always use 50/50 coolant and distilled water for the best freeze/boiling points. You can go as high as 70/30 coolant/water but never the other way around and only in extreme circumstances.
What makes you say this? The actual coolant lessens the ability to cool. The coolant adds lubrication, increases the boiling point of water, decreases the ability of the liquid freezing and provides corrosion resistance. The distilled water actual dissipates the heat. Hence the reason why I use a 60% water/40% coolant mix. The heat is prevalent where I live, so this works better for me. The 50/50 mix would be ideal for colder climates. Regardless, when it is hot outside, the higher water % will dissipate the heat better. Obviously it is a compromise between the two, and both distilled water and coolant are needed for a cooling system to function properly.

Reactions: promazda001

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,861 Posts
Hey guys...looking for some feedback. I have an 09 Saab that I use to tow my cars and my camper. Recently I swapped from the stock fan to LS1 fans from PCM of NC and also the trans cooler. Went to tow my camper in 95' heat and the temp got up to 235' coolant and 223 trans while going 65 on a mostly flat interstate. Thinking strongly about putting the stock fan back on and relocating the trans cooler and putting a fan on it. Think that is the issue, or think there is something else going on?
One other thing you can do is bypass the transmission lines from the radiator altogether. This will bring your trans temps down. Adding a thermostatically controlled stand alone trans cooler efan would also be a good idea.

Reactions: aswetz4130
1 - 20 of 51 Posts