Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone estimate (a range is fine) the temp of the exhaust pipe that runs over the rear axle? My Borla pipe touches one of the lines...I bought a new one and am wrapping the new line...just wondering if I also need to wrap the pipe or if 500* contact protection will be enough.

·
MOST HATED
Trailblazer SS
3,915 Posts
it wont hit 500*, i doubt a header even hits that temp.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
135 Posts
Metal starts glowing at around 1300 degF, so with a WOT run the headers will easily clear 800 to 900 degF.

The exhaust tube over the rear axle probably gets around 200deg or so. Steel starts to get a color to it (temper color) around 400degF. Starts at a light straw color, through violet, then blue, and then glowing red hot @ 1300degF. Shine a flashlight on the exhaust pipe and note the color (needs to be clean metal btw). Parts of my exhaust tubing is deffinitely a straw color. (Here's a good reference on the colors - http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQ-article.php?bodyName=/FAQs/temper_colors.htm&titleName=Temper Colors : anvilfire.com)

The tube that goes over the rear axle has gotten hot enough on mine that it's caused some minor cracking on the passenger-side air spring, so I wrapped the exhaust tube in that area with some ceramic header wrap. (Roads here in TX don't get salted in the winter, so there's no threat of rust-through like you'd see up in the north).

Basically, keep the exhaust away from anything rubber. It may not melt it right out, but the extra heat will degrade the life of the rubber drasticaly. Wrap the exhaust or install a heat shield - anything that will keep the heat away from the rubber.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jesse, thanks a ton for the great information...I appreciate the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts