Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the story, get to work this morning all good. Storm and I mean bad storm blows through, high winds and buckets of rain. Northern suburbs of Chicago guys can confirm storm. Go out at lunch and truck starts funny, barely idles and then all ok. Went fishing for lunch and drove back, all good. Drove home after work got stuck in a huge backup, light out. I kind of idled along (2 miles). I look down at the AF gauge and it said 172 ( it is 90+ outside), stock gauge is down from 210 as well. I come to a complete stop and temp bounces back and forth from 172 to 204 as I am sitting there. Wtf. I finally get going And both gauges go back to 170-172. Stop at a light goes up and stays at 202-204. This continues all the way home. Trans temp stayed right at 185-190 steady no fluctuation. Any ideas, anything to be concerned about. I was thinking maybe thermostat stuck open but it bounce back and forth to quick. Thanks for any info.

I guess I should add that I have stock fan no efans.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When it bounces back and forth it is from 170 or so to 200, no in between, just a jump. Maybe sensor going bad? Where does the obdII read the coolant temp?

·
Banned
3,510 Posts
The factory dash gauge is never going to react as fast as the aeroforce gauge. The AF gauge gets its reading from the computer using the stock sending unit. Try the simple thing first to make sure the coolant system is full. Also, check to make sure the radiator cap is still working properly. After that then we would go after the tstat

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I will double check coolant, was fine last night. The stock gauge is not as quick as the AF gauge but does follow it. When AF says 170 or so, stock gauge goes down like truck is just warming up, after it was already at the standard 210 reading. The AF reading on the trans temp is very steady as well as Oil temp. Would a battery disconnect reset anything?

BTW, truck seems to be running fine.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought the car to the dealer, I was told that it is the AF gauge causing this issue as they found no other problems. They unpluged the AF and could not replicate the problem. I drove back to work, about a half hour, and the dash gauge never moved.

I was under the impression the AF is just more a reader gauge, could it have any influence on the dash gauge and or readings?? Maybe I should contact AF and see but wanted to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update, been over a week. Dealer unplugged AF and said it was the problem, I left it unplugged for about 3 days with no fluctuation. I decided to plug the AF back in, been about 5 days, and have not seen a problem. I can only think of two things, one dealer actually fixed something and did not like the AF and told me it was the problem, or two, the AF when unplugged is like your cable box and needed to be unplugged for awhile and it fixes itself.

·
Registered
2007 TrailblazerSS
130 Posts
I have the same issue. Have you had any other issues after you unplugged your AF?

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have not had an issue since the updated post. I did change a setting that an AF rep told me about as well. I will have to find that email. Something like a data rate setting, think I changed it to 4. I will try to find the info.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is what was said in the email from AF.
"Try plugging the gauge back in and reduce the data rate to 4 or 5 and see what happens"

Like I said, not sure what fixed the issue but I did do this.

·
Registered
2007 TrailblazerSS
130 Posts
thanks for the info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts